Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb α850 thoughts … and opinion

One of the major arguments that people are bandying back and forth is the lack of video and LiveView for the α850. When you consider than antishake in the full frame is still a unique quality (only the SONY has it), LiveView and Movie mode seem rather silly.

There are plenty of SONY "LiveView" cameras to pick from (four at last count, all under $1000) … and the level of movie magic is still not anywhere near perfected. I will not miss those aspects from my “still” camera and if I wanted them, I know right where to go.

So, detractors need to get over themselves. You buy a camera for a purpose. My choice was to expand the results I am getting from my two-year old α750 and get into Full Frame, w/o having to mortgage the house! The α850 handed me that with a $700 discount against the A900. Having already been conditioned to a 98% Viewfinder with the α700, the α850 really is no big deal. I rarely shoot at 5 fps, for the most part (usually experimentally, not as a routine practice). Again, this is a minor consideration for the same luxurious 24.6MP image.

I can say with some assurance that the α850 is directed right at the “serious” APS-C Hobbyist (people who realize quality optics cost a bit and don’t shirk at $1000 price tags for some equipment) … and it frees us with a choice to move up to making a better image, w/o entirely breaking the bank. I know for myself, it appears to be what the doctor ordered. It’s just a shame we could not have had it a year ago, eh? Back when our money used to be worth something.

I do not want to create any tension in regards to ‘class warfare’ among the various models … but, there simply are degrees that people will not exceed in their hobby pursuits. This is often determined by “forces” outside the hobby … and I think you (full well) know who I mean. Just accept that there are boundaries that are gingerly or not crossed … or pity the fool who does.

Love of the craft … may it always be ... ours.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

but then this isn't a hobby for everyone...if they dont compete with the canon 5d mark ii right now they will get eaten.....
    video cameras are competing with the 'RED' video system

The EOS 5D Mark II is the first digital EOS to offer recording of Full HD video in Live View Mode. Capable of shooting clips almost half an hour long at full 1080 resolution, the EOS 5D Mark II does amazing double duty, making it possible to shoot broadcast quality video on your camera by simply changing settings.

in advertising this is big right now

Red face Flipping through the images ...

When was the last time you saw a magazine image move? As long as it is on paper ... it stays still.

And , I do not want to dance through the Kineograph argument, either. We are talking two different approaches to visualization.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    One of the major arguments that people are bandying back and forth is the lack of video and LiveView for the α850. When you consider than antishake in the full frame is still a unique quality (only the SONY has it), LiveView and Movie mode seem rather silly.
    whats silly is you keep raising this same point OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and you keep getting beaten down OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER each time you raise it.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up Good company ...

Sorry, 'Rooz' ... if SONY can dodge another "get with the program" ... "oh, we're such fanboys to peer pressure" ... and " other cliquish nonsense" as in adding DSLR video ... and still make a ton of cash on their release ... who's kidding who?

This horse is not going to change its spots ... Ryan. I guess its time for you to just sell the SONY and leap off this train.

Name:  take the leap.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  278.3 KB

It's not going to the station you want, this time around.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-31-2009 at 09:18 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

blah blah blah blah blah...
    same old tired replies based on nothing but complete and utter nonsense.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs up Holding the line on "incomplete" technology ...

And the subsequent release of three new camera bodies ...

"Hey, what's in the box?"

"Not HDD video, that's for darn sure!"

flickr® & Sdi

i dont know how anyone who posts on this board for any length of time could possibly take you seriously anymore. lol
    flickr

Oh, take your Nikon DSLR and go make a movie, 'Rooz" ... you have nothing to add, here, except discourse.

flickr® & Sdi