Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

torque wrench analogy to lenses

ok i'm a wrench, a mechanic, a grease monkey etc...and i use analogies like these to help me understand some things, and here is one i need to get a grip on.
    we in the wrench field mainly use the mid ranges of a torque wrench to do the job with the feeling of it being done with more accuracy.
    been looking at a do all lens (the tamron 18-250mm) however i have noticed some pics on the net that it distorts at the 18mm setting. but looks good from the mid range of the lens focal limits.
    my question is, do most of you guys get overlapping lenses to overcome the distortion effect of the lenses? or is there a hyperzoom lens like the tamron that doesnt distort like that and wont distort my wallet?
    not really looking for the cheap way out but if i can do with one that can be done with two, well you get the point. thanks

I try not to overlap, in fact I don't. All of my lenses have a specific purpose.

Super zoom lenses like 18-250s are built upon compromises in quality, distortion, aperture, and auto focus speed.

So you're looking for a new lens? What do you like to shoot? I'm also assuming you have an A100-A700 camera (APS-C). What is your budget?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

zooms are always a compromise

just like people that use click type torque wrenches that don't stop pushing when it clicks

as for the edges at wide, you will have that pretty much with any wide angle..you a bending the hell out of light

we do mostly family pics, with the kit lenses that cam with my wifes A350, i have an A200 with an older minolta 70-210 AF lens and am not really happy with the pics so far. but then again we are learning these cameras. budget is around 400-500 for the lenses thats why i was looking at the tamron 18-250. also it seems to be the choice of alot of folks, my lurking has informed me.

i'm still trying to wrap my noggin around how lenses work, i know how they work in a simple format, but camera lenses are a bit more than i can grasp right now. guess i'll have to enroll in some classes at the local tech school to get a real understanding of just how they work, in all aspects , not just burning grasshoppers on a sunny day

invest in a minolta 50mm 1.7..for around 100 on ebay..that is an exellent prime lens for the price..this is taken with one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

if you don/t mind the extra weight a tokina 35-200 is actually a pretty good lens..and people just give them away on ebay..i dont get it..this baby is all real glass and aluminum...it isn't as fast focusing on the older alphas but it takes great pics..i have seen them go for 9.99.lol

now if you want to spend $$$$$$ get a ziess 24-70 2.8

is that the MD mount ones