Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Looking to buy my first DSLR...Need advice

Hello all,

I am in the process of buying my first DSLR camera and was offered a great deal on a Nikon D60 with a Nikon 55-200MM lense. I am pretty new to all of this so I am unsure if that camera is good or not. If I got that camera, would that lense be good enough to take close up pictures or would I have to get the 18-55MM lense as well? I mainly take pictures of cars at car shows and some scenic shots downtown. Thanks for any help you can give me.

whats your total budget ?
    you will definitely need a lens like the 18-55, no doubt about it.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Also is the 55-200 a VR version or a non VR version?

Sorry, I left that out. My budget is about $600 and the 55-200MM lens is the VR version and has the auto focus built into it. How much would a decent 18-55 lens cost me?

Please keep in mind that the D-40 and D-60 cameras will be replaced in September by the Nikon D-3000 camera, a new model. That factor might also play into your decision, as well.

It also might be wise if you looked at other competing DSLR cameras such as the Canon XS, the Sony A-230, and the Pentax K-2000? And finally, how a camera feels in hand is very important as well. Hands size does differ and the placement of camera controls can make a difference to users. So be sure to physically handle any consumer level DSLR camera that you have under consideration.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Please keep in mind that the D-40 and D-60 cameras will be replaced in September by the Nikon D-3000 camera, a new model. That factor might also play into your decision, as well.

It also might be wise if you looked at other competing DSLR cameras such as the Canon XS, the Sony A-230, and the Pentax K-2000? And finally, how a camera feels in hand is very important as well. Hands size does differ and the placement of camera controls can make a difference to users. So be sure to physically handle any consumer level DSLR camera that you have under consideration.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
    Thank you very much for your advice. I bought the D60. It fit into my hands very comfortably and the factor that it will be replaced by the D-3000 doesn't really bother me much. This is my first DSLR and I am learning from scratch so I will probably hang onto it for a while.

liljoejoe-

Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Did you also get the Nikon 18-55mm lens as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    liljoejoe-

Congratulations on your new camera. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. Did you also get the Nikon 18-55mm lens as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
    Thanks! I have a lot of learning to do now. As for the Nikon 18-55mm lens, no I did not get it as it didnt come with it. The guy I bought it from only had the Nikon 55-200mm lens. Do you know where I can get the 18-55mm lens for cheap? I imagine it would need the auto focus motor built in.