Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Which SONY DSLR gets into your bag in the next six months?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • α230

0 0%
  • α330

0 0%
  • α380

0 0%
  • α500

1 9.09%
  • α550

0 0%
  • α700

0 0%
  • α850

1 9.09%
  • α900

0 0%
  • There's too many, I cannot make up my mind!

1 9.09%
  • No change from what I am sporting right now.

8 72.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You should have bought the 900...youl just be regretting it from now on...

The guilt will be on your head forever

Talking What? Me Worry?

Oh stop ... I can always wait for the α950. It will be along soon. If I need speed, the α700 will cover with its 5 fps.

Man, wouldn't it be nice if someone finally agreed with my 'photography battle plan?' It seems to be working out ... in its own weird way.

As someone on one of the other boards pointed out, I have been correct on a heck of a lot of this ... not many regrets.

So ... whatever! It's just a hobby ... there's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-28-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think an a850 for FF along with an A700 for speed and long shots is a great combination. I know a lot of Canon shooters do the 40/50D with a 5D Mk I/II.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    25 mega pix does push computer limits..lol
    Tell me about it. I have an older lap top, with only an 80 gig hard drive. Despite dumping photos onto an external back-up drive, I still run into space problems. Just today I downloaded my recent photo excursion for the past two days ... I had 10 gigs free on the D drive ... when it was done, the D drive was for help ... ugh, gasp, I only have 2G left, help me please!!!

But hey, small price to pay for some fantastic image quality.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Question What's the buzz?

Hey, how about the rest of you 'loafers' try participating in the poll? Let's see what the forum membership is planning between now and next March. The new DSLR cameras are finally out there, ready to buy.

What are YOU going to do?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

NOTHING...ALL THE CHOICES ARE DOWNHILL..

What are YOU going to do?
    [/QUOTE]

Unhappy six months = too soon for me

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Hey, how about the rest of you 'loafers' try participating in the poll? Let's see what the forum membership is planning between now and next March. The new DSLR cameras are finally out there, ready to buy.
    Maybe inside a year.. but no change in six months. That 850 does look amazing, but having gone with a mess of aps-c lenses I will probably look lower down the ladder. I suppose I could stick with my minolta 35-105N plus 70-210/3.5-4.5, but cropping my Sigma 18-200 = don't think so. And let's not talk about the new hard drive just yet! Would be nice to see the Tam 14/2.8 fully realized though.. stop tormenting me Don!!

If only the 500 had the hi-pixel screen without folding a la 700, plus quick nav (and af -adjust ) it would be harder to delay. I'd use the tilt function as a waist finder maybe 2x per hundred shots, and overhead never. BTW - couldn't sony just make it tip as a waist finder, and for overhead I'd shoot w/camera upside down? Maybe their orientation sensor wouldn't know how to flip the final image, but I would.. this would be cheaper, simpler and especially Thinner!
    Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-29-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added word for clarity
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

I'll wait for the a9000

Lightbulb In a "professional" opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    I'll wait for the a9000
    "A9000?" <- Hmmm, what do you know that we do not?

There has been discussion of an α1000 Pro Cam ... but, I am skeptical of such things. The better chance of an A950 Enhanced Full Frame seems more likely.

Originally, the aspects of the Minolta Maxxum series cameras were in two fields ... the 7000 and the 9000 35mm-film bodies.

The 7000 was a power-consuming nightmare ... with electric push button (+/-) selection of aperture and shutter speed. It had built in frame advance and electric rewind. You could successfully run about seven rolls of film through it and then you would have to change batteries. There were no rechargeables. This camera cost real money to operate. There were no accessories to speak of, except for the hot shoe flash ... it was an all-in-one design. Hardly one you would want to shoot a lot.

But, with the "professional" 9000, you were able to break the camera down to it's simplest operating form, consisting of just a metered-camera with manual film advance and two "AA" batteries (all they did was operate the meter.) The camera was designed to meet all the basics of a good photograph. Then, through a series of additional parts and accessories, you could turn it into a full-powered "photographic system" that was simply unparalleled at the time. It was awesome. Yes, Virginia, with all that automation and accessorizing, the overall power consumption went skyward. Last count ... in my own system, 26x "AA" batteries.

Well, that was 1987 ... modularity and minimalism were in vogue. You should have seen the calculators from Hewlett-Packard.

22 years later ... now, everyone believes the "professional" cameramen want all the bells & whistles in their DSLR ... and the fact is, those serious lensmen really want a noise-free, reliable and ultimately quick DLSR that can produce an image smooth and free of defect. That's the first item you will find in their bag ... they will always add what they need afterward.

The newbie-hobbiest, on the other hand ... yeah, all the bells & whistles are pretty cool. He who has the "mostest" ... wins! The do-it-all solution is the attraction, but in reality, it is hardly practical with all the points of possible failure and overall resource power consumption. I do not believe an α1000 Super DSLR camera would be like this. I believe it would have a much more refined fundamental level of operation with a series of accessory add-ons, like the Maxxum 9000 did, back in the day.

THAT, my friends, is a professional's system and not a "Swiss Army Camera."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.

flickr & Sdi

All i want is a full frame 50mp with video capab...for 500 bucks..