Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question White Balance Settings +1, +2 etc.

As far as I can tell, most, if not all, of the Sony DSLRs allow for adjustment of the basic WB settings (sunny, shade, cloudy, etc.) with a range from -3 to +3. However, the manual does virtually nothing to explain what exactly you are getting with each + or - value ... other than a slight lightening or darkening.

More enlightened explanations for this function and its usage is greatly appreciated.

I'm also curious to know how often, if ever, anyone uses the WB tempurature setting where you select the temperature.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I almost always use AWB but when I shoot in a gym or other place that might might HPS or Tungsten lightning I take a few test shots to see what setting I should use.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

The +/- shift in White Balance is a slight degree variation to add or decrease the red or blue shift in the setting. I am surprised you are not picking that up, as I see it quite evidently when I use the flash and other settings.

In fact, my "Tungsten" setting for indoors is usually about -2 ... which introduces slightly more blue into the image. With the built-in flash, I gravitate more toward a warmer shot, adding +2 to the "WB (Flash bolt)." Try looking at it as a subtle tinting effect.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

wb/temp ..90% of the time

manually setting WB is a recipe for disaster and long hours in post to fix what you screwed up.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

AWB for me all the time. I once set it to a manual setting and used it without flash, handed the camera over to my cousin who wanted to take pics of her friends and all the pics turned out blue when she used flash.
    Needless to say I was unable to recover them since I set it to JPEG before I handed it over.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Cool Play with that funky White Balance ...

AWB with the α100 I found quite useful, but when I started using the α700, I was not satisfied with it at all.

I began some serious experimentation with WB and found my own custom settings far more "adequate" in that regard. If you are setting up your own MANUAL Mode shots ... a couple quick WB examinations would be wise and certainly not wasting any film.

Anyway, that's my way of shooting ... AWB for everyone else, then.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Apparently v4 messed up AWB on the a700 and v3 was more accurate.
    I kinda miss LiveView since i was able to fine tune WB that way much better on the a300.
    But AWB works much better for me especially since I can correct it in PP if need be.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

AWB Freak Out

Part of the reason I posted this thread, is that I was taking some interior shots of the State of Washington's Capital Dome. I had a mix of daylight filtering in through side lights, a central light fixture with tungsten/incandescent lights, some down lighting with compact flourescents, uplighting with probably halogens and large areas of shadow. AWB freaked out. Tungsten freaked out. Flourescent was useles. And, go figure, the cloudy setting came the closest ... but not quite ... to rendering the dome as seen by the eye.

At least I have several shots with areas showing the correct color (colour for our UK friends) and I can either combine together in PS or try to color correct areas.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Lightbulb Some additional optical assistance ...

One thing you could consider when doused with "mixed" lighting if using a colored filter:

81A (Warming) or
    Name:  026-WARM-(81A).jpg
Views: 46
Size:  1.3 KB

82A (Cooling)
    Name:  023-BLEU-(82A).jpg
Views: 45
Size:  1.1 KB

to assist in making all the lights more or less the same color, BEFORE they get to the sensor, then using the camera's internal WB setting to take up the slack.

Yes, it takes work ... photography is the challenge of light and your eye.

Check out this COKIN Filter System link for some additional ideas and quick examples.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-30-2009 at 08:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi