Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Cool 200mm HS vs 180mm MACRO

I have done some more comparative shooting with the Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS against the TAMRON SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD 1:1 MACRO. The image quality is almost identical, in fact the 180mm may be just a skosh sharper ... but, as you probably know, the focus speed of the 180mm MACRO is dauntingly slow. Oh, if you can get the focus close in MF ... you can go back to AF and it will drop in quick, but it requires your interaction. The 200mm HS, on the other hand, rockets right to AF acquisition ... but, it is also seriously more money and much harder to find.

The TAMRON MACRO has a removable tripod ring.

Also, the M.F.D. is 5-feet with the 200 mm HS, where it is about 12-inches with the 180mm MACRO. That is a serious consideration, indoors.

Just something to think about, when evaluating the utility of these lenses. Kind of like comparing a dump truck to a really spiffy pick-up ... or something like that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi