Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i know this is old news, but.. 5d mk1?

hi everyone, first post

I'm thinking about getting a secondhand canon 5d or d300. I've done my research, and since d300 is newer, sturdier, faster, more accurate and most importantly I have dx lenses from my old nikon d50, I should buy d300. but..

there is no problem with d300. the problem is 5d. when I compare full resolution examples from both, I see 5d is sharper at pixel level and there is something that attracts me to 5d's example, but looking at d300's photo I can see no faults, perfectly clean and noise-free image and crisp edges and good contrast and detail. but when compared to 5d, d300 looks.. flat. I don't know any words to describe this difference, nor am I able to see in technical eye. Can you explain it? I know 5d is full frame, but would ff make that much difference? Which would you advise me to buy? after all, I'm a nikon shooter and have nikon gear(albeit only two lenses, one being kit and one 50mm) and I like nikon sturdiness, but when it comes to that, quality trumps it all. I also wont do sports shooting or anything about speed. I know there are much better alternatives today, but I don't have enough dough for 5d mk2 or d700 Since this is the canon forum I don't really expect people to vote for nikon, but really, what's that difference that I can't see? it's obvious, but I can't name it. does anybody have an idea?

hey, what do you mean by flat?

I have been using 5D for the past 3 years and have also used the D300. Personally I feel the 5D is a "1st-gen" camera and the D300 is a "2nd-gen" cam. The 5D feels like a dinosaur to me, compared to my friend's D300. He can take shots that look great SOOC, nice color saturation and low-noise, I have to do PP to get the same kind of look. I have seen tons of splendid examples of the D300's potential and if I were making such a decision today, I would get the D300, hands down. It also has much better build quality.

I do like the IQ and detail of the 5D very much and I do feel its in a league of its own in that department - but the D300 is definitely no slouch. I hope that helps.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the 5D.

yes, i can explain it...what you are seeing is processing. unless its at hi iso where the 5d kicks ass, the d300 smokes the 5d in every possible way imaginable. that is unless of course you want the field of view that FF provides. if thats what you want then there is no substitute for a full frame sensor. you have bugger all invested in nikon so dont let that stop you from picking the camera of your choice but make an educated decision based on facts, not on urban myths.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

A picture that is "flat" is not necessarely a bad picture, having a flat picture can give you more room to process according to your own wishes. According to DXO, the 5d gets better scores then the D300, in all but HDR.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...brand2)/Nikon#

The 5D is a full-frame, the D300 isn't. Try both, see which feels better, and ask yourself what you are gonna use it for.

I can't comment on the D300, but the 5D is old. and clunky. and gets dusty fast, and only has 3fps, with a buffer that fills up pretty fast! But, it has great images once you know what you want, and good low-light isos.

I'd call the 5D, a landscape/studio camera. Its cool for its low-light interiors due to its wide angles but you need a flash to help you focus even if you don't plan on firing the flash.

I don't know about Nikon prices, but generally Full frame lenses for Canon are more expensive then cropped format counter-parts, you should compare the 5D to the D700 for a better effect.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    you need a flash to help you focus even if you don't plan on firing the flash.
    false. there are low-light situations where the lens will hunt trying to find focus, but these are situations where it would hunt with other cams as well.

that's interesting. I do know that all the information is THERE in the 5D image, it just needs some tweaking to get it out (at least on my shooting style). Maybe I should try playing with the picture style stuff, I have all of mine set to 0, just because I'd rather do that stuff myself.

But it kinda bugs me when people are all "SOOC" with newer cameras, its like yeah, you can do it SOOC because your camera is doing all the processing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasidel Slika View Post
    I would get the D300, hands down.
    you know what? I'm gonna rescind this statement. I think I'd have to survey what needs I have and what kind of shots I'm looking to do and then decide thereof.

I don't mean flat colors with "flat." After a bit of thinking, it's probably DOF that attracts me, as a film shooter back in the old days, 5d seems to replicate the exact "bokeh" and out of focus effect I loved on velvia film. We all know d300 is more joy to use, but how unbearable is 5d? will it make me hate photography? I mean, I used nikon d50 for five years with keyhole sized viewfinder, 2 inch 170.000 pixel lcd and 2.5 fps of instantly choking memory and I've been happy. If you think about that, it actually does not matter to me which is newer, because compared to my current camera both are far, far better in usability. I never used continuous shooting mode. when you realise that every unnecessary frame is costing you money(film) you learn to watch for critical moments and take single shots. Why would you pull the trigger and forget, when your critical moment may slip down the sieve?

I am comparing the unprocessed results, also I prefer doing processing myself. I don't mind flat results SOOC, if the raw gives me plenty of data to play with.

Another point I've messed up is that, we all know 5d is better on the high iso. no big deal. but how is it on the low iso? I mean, at the base resolution d300 has a little noise on the background, perfectly acceptable but it's there. at iso 50, 5d have no noise. creamy. anybody have an idea how to cope with d300 baseline noise? noise reduction programs probably wont help at this level and hand erasing is a little pointless when you think about time consumed.

I'm mostly shooting slow objects, shooting microstock at my shack-studio, or landscapes,and maybe I will be using it at some concerts. my love of DOF trumps it all, and I think I will buy a 5d then. Also canon's lens range is more clear and well defined, and seems cheaper than nikon's and I can get pro specialties of nikon (vr etc.) at canon's midrange. FYI, I got interesting results from lab charts. I compared nikon d50, nikon d300 and canon 5d. nikon d50 has the same signal to noise ratio with 5d, with slight variations and clearly much better than d300. d50 dynamic range replicates d300. d50 tonal range is the same of 5d with the rightmost end crooked very slightly downwards and far better than d300. d50's color sensitivity is equal + - %2 to 5d and clearly better than d300.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...nd3)/Nikon#670

it's rather weird. I'm not sure real life results would be similar, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasidel Slika View Post
    false. there are low-light situations where the lens will hunt trying to find focus, but these are situations where it would hunt with other cams as well.
    I meant that with other cameras you can just use the pop-up flash, or they emit their own AF beams, wherehas the 5D does not have a pop-up flash or its own AF beam.

I love my 5D.

Like i said, it depends on yourself, what you feel comfortable with and what you want to do with it.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    After a bit of thinking, it's probably DOF that attracts me, as a film shooter back in the old days, 5d seems to replicate the exact "bokeh" and out of focus effect I loved on velvia film..
    see, NOW you've come to the crux of the decision. you need to go FF. there is something about FF that is different. i'm not suggesting its necessarily better for everyone, but it IS different and aps-c cant replicate it.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr