Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Stage 1

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.

Stage 1

I wasn't really thinking seriously about building a microflash but the opportunity to obtain a 25KV transformer for nothing arrived the other day. Somebody was chucking out an old TV because the op amp had blown. Having disposed of the case and the CRT down the local dump, here's what's left and you can see the 25kv transformer on the bottom right. There's lots of other goodies in there too...

I even have the stuff to make the 25KV capacitor that I need. I just have to assemble my capacitance meter beforehand. That's a kit.

what the hell is a microflash ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Microflash is a flash that lasts for 1/1,000,000th of a second as opposed to a xenon based flash unit which normally has a top end of 1/100,000th but which most manufacturers make (Canon/Nikon) somewhat slower with a top end of 1/35,000th).

Microflashes are big and heavy and are not the kind of thing you can normally carry with you though I see no reason on earth why somebody couldn't make them small, light and portable. Normally they weight about 20KG.