Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Image Styles - A700/A900

To cater to photographers’ creativity and preference, the a700 features “Creative Style” that includes a total of 14 image styles. There are four basic image styles (Standard, Vivid, Neutral, and Adobe RGB), and three style boxes to which you can assign any of the image styles. The four basic image styles can be adjusted for contrast, saturation, and sharpness; while the other three user-customizable style boxes allows for contrast, saturation, sharpness, brightness, and zone matching adjustments.

This takes some experimentation to appreciate, so pre-sets are available with the Mode Knob, to a degree.

The Function (FN) button on a700 allows quick access to the Quick Navi information display where you can easily and quickly adjust shooting parameters via the front and rear control dials and the multi-selector. A new AF/MF button lets you switch effortlessly between Auto (AF) and Manual (MF) operation. Up to three combinations of as many as 26 different shooting parameters can be stored in memory and instantly applied by turning the mode dial to Memory Recall (MR). The Custom (C) button on the back of the camera can be assigned to open the settings for the function you use most frequently.

This is a powerful customizing feature, which becomes a real monster to explain in brief. I suppose a limited tutorial might be of some use to people who own the a700.

Image Styles . . . . . . . . . . . . Purpose
    • Standard . . . . . . . . . For capturing various scenes with rich gradation and color
    • Vivid . . . . . . . . . . . . The saturation and contrast are heightened for capturing striking images of colorful scenes and subjects such as flowers, spring greenery, blue sky or ocean views
    • Neutral . . . . . . . . . . The saturation and sharpness are lowered for capturing images in a quiet tone. This is also suitable for capturing image material to be modified with a computer
    • AdobeRGB . . . . . . . . For capturing images in the Adobe RGB color space
    • Clear . . . . . . . . . . . . For capturing images in a clear tone with limpid colors in the highlighted area, suitable for capturing radiant light.
    • Deep . . . . . . . . . . . . For capturing images with deep and dense color expressions, suited to capturing the solid presence of the subject
    • Light . . . . . . . . . . . . For capturing images with bright and uncomplicated color expressions, suited to capturing refreshingly light ambience a
    • Portrait . . . . . . . . . . For capturing the skin color in a soft tone, ideally suited to capturing portraits
    • Landscape . . . . . . . . The saturation, contrast, and sharpness are heightened for capturing vivid and crisp scenery. Distant landscapes also stand out more.
    • Sunset . . . . . . . . . . For capturing the beautiful red of the setting sun
    • Night view . . . . . . . The contrast is attenuated for capturing a nightscape that is more faithful to the real view
    • Autumn Leaves . . . . For capturing autumn scenes, vividly highlighting the red and yellow of colored leaves
    • B/W . . . . . . . . . . . . For capturing images in black and white monotone
    • Sepia . . . . . . . . . . . For capturing images in sepia monotone
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I never knew that there are Clear, Deep and Light. I've only use Adobe, Standard and Portrait. Portrait tends to smoothen the skin too much.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

One thing I like about the a900 is that they removed AdobeRGB from Creative Style options. In the menu options the a900 has a Color Space option where you can slecet either sRGB or AdobeRGB. With this which ever color space you choose is applied to the creative style you are using.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    I never knew that there are Clear, Deep and Light. I've only use Adobe, Standard and Portrait. Portrait tends to smoothen the skin too much.
    adobeRGB and sRGB are colour profiles; the rest of those above are just in cam processing by manipluating all of the basic parameters like contrast, tone, hue, sharpness etc. pretty cool when youre starting out i suppose but then most of us switch to raw and they become pretty irrelevant.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Wink Twice the power ...

One of the aspects of the α700, is the ability to quickly process your images without have to resort to a computer with all sorts of special software, which may not be very handy, depending on the situation.

By shooting RAW + JPEG ... you can have the best of both worlds, where you can get a quickly usable and instantly publishable JPEG image ... camera processed ... and still have the same image for redefinition at some later time, when you return home and download, for some real "hands-on" processing.

In other words, make the α700 work for its lunch.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    One of the aspects of the α700, is the ability to quickly process your images without have to resort to a computer with all sorts of special software, which may not be very handy, depending on the situation.
    thats been in digital cameras, even P&S, for the past 5 years, hardly a new technology. next thing you know you'll be telling us that one of the great aspects of the a700 is the fact that its got a lens or a highly innovative LCD to review pictures. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

The α700 allows greater specific control over these various "Image Style" features, which a lot of lesser cameras just cannot do. That was one of the reasons I posted this, so that the intro-camera members could appreciate why moving to an α700 is a superior idea.

Thanks for being a part of our wonderful community. Get a SONY and have some more fun.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The α700 allows greater specific control over these various "Image Style" features, which a lot of lesser cameras just cannot do. That was one of the reasons I posted this, so that the intro-camera members could appreciate why moving to an α700 is a superior idea.

Thanks for being a part of our wonderful community. Get a SONY and have some more fun.
    even a d40 does that don. lol
    flickr

Exclamation Stock no more!

The A700 (body-only) is now out-of-stock, at the online SONY Style store. In a way, this is totally amazing. So, I guess you are out of luck, my friend. If you want one ... yeah, you get the "kit lens."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 07:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Custom stylin'

Each of the "Image Style" selections has five custom settings for contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpness and zone features, allow for three custom Image Style selections thru Quik-Navi. This is a handy way to get your setting quickly correct for your particular lens and associated flash system for weddings (indoor and out), concerts, car shows ... whatever.

Again, experience and set-up will be initially required, but once you have these in there ... go shoot something.

flickr & Sdi