Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    My experiences with staying with "start-up" lens is poor ... and I simply will not support their use. I'll let SONY do that. I have actively protested the results people suffer from with the AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I refuse to even mount it ... and it sits on my lens shelf as a reminder that "not everything is a blessing!"

Immediate upgrades are the true solution for one thing, above all else ...

IT FREES YOU TO CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO TO IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY ...

and not worry about some crappy performing lens messing you up!

My advice ... like an old band-aid -> Throw them out ... and buy something worthy of being used. You will be a lot happier in the long run and you will not look back saying, "Oh why oh why did I spend the money?"

Crap, no matter what kind of bag you toss it in, is still CRAP!

Sorry for being blunt, but experience is a cruel teacher ... been there, done that!

But, I will couch this by saying, "If you insist on using that piece of ****, you get what you get." YUCK!
    Jeeze Don, ease off a bit. He JUST got the camera...... you'll scare him off.

Yes the kit lens isn't the greatest, but that's NOT to say that good photos aren't attainable.

Much of photography comes from composition anyway and knowing where to stand.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool Oh, you're right ... what am I thinking? Well, maybe, something like THIS ...

(and then ... just as we all settled down ... sarcasm began to creep into the conversation ...)

Hi ... I'm new to photography ... and I have opted to rig and shoot through a coke-bottle bottom ... but, for some reason, I can not get a good image from my brand new and most excellent α900 Full Frame DSLR camera.

Name:  A900-Coke-Lens.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  119.7 KB

What gives? It's BRAND NEW!

I even got some new spectacles to go with it ...

Name:  coke-bottle-glasses.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  25.1 KB

As I was so recently reminded ... of my own sage advice, Ryan:

"Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from 'INTRO' lenses."

It still applies.

You and all others, of course, are free to opine as you wish.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yep i'm now scared well not really i knew when i intro'd that Don would be the first critic of the lenses. been lurking a couple of days. i have noticed that the 18-70 lens is kinda crappy thats the reason that the other (70-200) lens is predominantly on the camera.
    am a little more thick skinned that your usual..... just keep giving it to me straight. right now its just a hobby

Three years of 18-70 ownership ... it's still grim

"Thick skin" is important when you are being criticized ... and GLASS is not criticism. It is the tool you choose to produce your work. Why would you want to tie one hand behind your back when you are just starting out? There are minimums ... and these intro-lenses really walk a terrible, terrible line with them.

Honestly, you need to have at least one GOOD lens in your bag. That should be the lens you shoot with the most often. I highly recommend spending some money and get that ONE improved lens. My suggestion is simply to free yourself from purposely being crippled by use of a "kit" lens.

Heck, don't even spend a dime ... just walk yourself on down to the camera shop and mount a TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and shoot a few. Then slap your "kit" beauty on and shoot the same images. Go home and analyze the results on your computer ... then you can tell us all about it.

We have thick skins ... but, hey ... prove me wrong. Please.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

better lenses are in the works, however we are cutting out teeth on the kits for now. one must crawl before they sprint, and i do get your passion Don.

Honestly, I feel it is a complete disservice for SONY to push these crappy lenses on the newbies.

It's much like someone walking by and finding you tied down, with a rope, to an eye-bolt and throwing you a dull knife. A sharp knife was right next to it, in the utensil drawer, but they couldn't be bothered.

They want to sell more lenses, so they give you a definite poor performer, so once you are "in for a penny, you are in for a pound." It was not always like that, but today's marketing knows no other way but the ol' bait & switch. They throw a toy in the cereal box ... not a real tool.

Believe me, Inst ... we are here to help ... despite how it may appear. But, again, we're not selling cameras.

There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 08:27 PM.

flickr & Sdi

To a point, glass will make for better photography. Also, glass will improve the photographs themselves (color rendering, sharpness, distortion, etc....), but you first have to set it up obviously, and thus yes, lenses will improve a given photo more than a body would.

If I'm taking my camera out on the boat or somewhere when it might get tossed around, I'll take my kit lens. Here's what I've come up with with the limited outings with the trusty kit lens.

Obviously, one of the things lacking on the kit lens is the bokeh, but it's a lens like any other to help you get the shot.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Oh hey guys, anybody say hi and welcome aboard to the new folks? If not Hi and welcome to our love hate Sony style forum LOL! We are a eclectic bunch scattered around the world here, with several different shooting styles and interests. so the more the better, if you read deep enough there is some great info very well explained here.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/