Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

introduction and new sony owner i.e. newbee

well here i am. my wife and i just purchased a new a350 a few mons ago. and are learning the ins and outs of the dslr arena. we got tired of getting crappy shots from your typical point and shoot cameras, so we stepped up if you would, to the dslr style. really not knowing anything about these cameras, we saw this package at a local wolf(ritz) camera and picked it up. well after some reading on this site and others, we may have stepped into a money pit. didnt know that the lenses that came with the camera was a little above the crap stage, however they are doing what we want them for at the moment. also the main reason we went into wolf to begin with, was my wife has been trying to capture the moon with very poor results, now it seems that we still need some more equipment in order for her to do so with relative ease.

any way, i will be kinda lurking in the shadows tring to get as much of this world as i can. thanks in advance for any stupid question answers.

Welcome to the forum. Just ask away that is what we are here for. When I say we I mean everybody else because I don't know a third of what most of the people here know. LOL You will get the help you need. Just shoot away and post some images. The moon is tricky a tripod is a must if you want a good moon shot.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Congrats.

What lenses did it come with? I assume you got at least the 18-70mm DT lens.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

yeah got the 18-70 and a 55-200. we got a tripod a couple of weeks ago, havnt tried it out on the moon yet. was thinking of getting a teleconverter however, after reading that they dont alow as much light in, and we would be definitly using it for the moon, well you see my delima. my wife sugested that we get another sony body(a200-300) for the other lens however after reading that the kit lens are really run of the mill, we may have second thoughts on that. whats are ya'lls thoughts on the second body and T/C?

You should try it out on the moon while it's nice and big right now.

A teleconverter won't work too well (as you already pointed out) on those lenses because the apertures are quite slow and it will really degrade the image quality. They're best on high quality prime lenses which have faster apertures F/4 or higher (F/2.8).

As for a second body, I don't think you really need it right now, practice with what you have and see. Prices will continue to drop in the mean time!

So, for the moon. Mount it on the tripod, turn off SSS (switch on the right). Press FN + metering, set it to spot metering. Set the camera to the A mode. Set your ISO at 100 ISO. Set your aperture (using the front wheel to F/8, F11, or somewhere in between) Focus and place the moon in the middle of your frame, zoom out to 200mm and fire away. You should be able to get a decent shot.

Here are a couple of mine: (I definitely need a longer lens to capture the moon better too!)
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=moon&w=27107158%40N07
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

will give it a try.

I'm not saying anything ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The 55-200mm is supposedly a pretty good lens compared to the 17-80mm and the 75-300mm.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I'm not saying anything ...

Don has a loss for words!!!!!Or did he break his typing finger.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face Okay, Frank ... you opened this one!

My experiences with staying with "start-up" lens is poor ... and I simply will not support their use. I'll let SONY do that. I have actively protested the results people suffer from with the AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I refuse to even mount it ... and it sits on my lens shelf as a reminder that "not everything is a blessing!"

Immediate upgrades are the true solution for one thing, above all else ...

IT FREES YOU TO CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO TO IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY ...

and not worry about some crappy performing lens messing you up!

My advice ... like an old band-aid -> Throw them out ... and buy something worthy of being used. You will be a lot happier in the long run and you will not look back saying, "Oh why oh why did I spend the money?"

Crap, no matter what kind of bag you toss it in, is still CRAP!

Sorry for being blunt, but experience is a cruel teacher ... been there, done that!

But, I will couch this by saying, "If you insist on using that piece of ****, you get what you get." YUCK!

Appropriate alternatives have been provided in the first sticky thread of this forum ... read and choose the arguably correct way to advance your photography.

Good luck
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi