Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Tail Hawk

Those are some pretty well done pictures, Frank. I don't know how everybody's monitors are calibrated but I can see the details and eyes quite easily. A very slight contrast drop may help, but really not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Why don't you shoot RAW?

You gotta be shooting RAW! Might as well make the most out of your SLR and fully utilize all of the sensor information.

I can't help you with saving to DNG as I leave em in RAW.
    Really, uh, no. Shoot RAW+JPEG. If the JPEG is good enough there's absolutely no reason to deal with a RAW file (that's the reason why this shooting mode exists).

Dealing solely with RAW files is one of photographic circles of hell, I assure you (and I'd rather put money towards glass instead of software, no matter how nice said software is).
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Those are some pretty well done pictures, Frank. I don't know how everybody's monitors are calibrated but I can see the details and eyes quite easily. A very slight contrast drop may help, but really not necessary.

Really, uh, no. Shoot RAW+JPEG. If the JPEG is good enough there's absolutely no reason to deal with a RAW file (that's the reason why this shooting mode exists).

Dealing solely with RAW files is one of photographic circles of hell, I assure you (and I'd rather put money towards glass instead of software, no matter how nice said software is).
    My monitor is calibrated and I believe Elisha sees what I'm seeing as well. I don't know, Don, rooz, peek, sean? I'm just trying to help and call it as I see it.

And no, dealing with RAWs is not a circle of hell. Yes, I can assure you, Lightroom, a relatively inexpensive, widely used software makes it easy to work with. Fine shoot JPEG+RAW, but everyone should be shooting with RAW one way or another for a variety of reasons. Personally, I find JPEG+RAW to be too messy, doubling up my images in Lightroom (or telling LR to stack the two together in which case I never see the JPEG again).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Frank, with RAW, you get better WB correction and colour enhancement capability.
    lifting shadows and correcting highlights are much better as well.
    Plus with Lightroom, once you get comfortable, you can make your own presets and apply them to your RAW files.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

and yes the contrast is a little higher than it should be. Here i ran it trough LR and tok the contrast down -50 and +10 on Clarity

the feathers show much more detail now.
    you can also use some fill light as well to lift the shadows.
    Last edited by Elisha; 08-08-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

your before image....

Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Frank, with RAW, you get better WB correction and colour enhancement capability.
    lifting shadows and correcting highlights are much better as well.
    Plus with Lightroom, once you get comfortable, you can make your own presets and apply them to your RAW files.
    hmmm I hadn't thought about that, I feel more comfortable going 1 by 1 though lol.

The fix looks better .
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    hmmm I hadn't thought about that, I feel more comfortable going 1 by 1 though lol.

The fix looks better .
    That jumper shot i had, was a jpg one. i had somehow accidentally set the camera to jpg. so when i applied my normal lighting enhancements, it introduced colour blotches, over-saturation and some noise as well.
    But it is still a good pic! Would have been better if it was manipulated with a RAW file.

Frank, do this experiment.....take JPEG+RAW. then individually edit each one in LR and use the same settings. And if you are using portraits, you will notice the facial colours on the jpeg will get over-saturated compared to the same settings with RAW.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

That jumper shot i had, was a jpg one. i had somehow accidentally set the camera to jpg. so when i applied my normal lighting enhancements, it introduced colour blotches, over-saturation and some noise as well.
    But it is still a good pic! Would have been better if it was manipulated with a RAW file.

Frank, do this experiment.....take JPEG+RAW. then individually edit each one in LR and use the same settings. And if you are using portraits, you will notice the facial colours on the jpeg will get over-saturated compared to the same settings with RAW.
    Agreed, I think you will find the RAWs much more natural .
    flickr

Looks great I need to try to start using LR.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

That has not got a damn thing to do with shooting in JPEG and everything to do with your in-camera settings.

Second - there should be no such things as "normal lighting enhancements". If you're batch processing files with the exact same settings all the time well... I don't know what to tell you. The blotches and over-saturation being introduced are because you're applying absolutely unnecessary processing to the files, not because JPEG files are somehow universally worse.

There is nothing "natural" or "better" about working completely in RAW unless you have a working contract that demands RAW files. There's a reason RAW+JPEG exists - if the JPEG file is perfectly reasonable you don't have to work with the RAW file.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0