Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What is max memory card Digital Cameras can support?

I was wondering what is max memory card digital cameras can support? specifically Powershot A470? Could not find such information anywhere. As for cell phones it can easily be found.

This camera supports SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card so it should be able to use any size in these formats.

The problem some people have is when the camera only supports SD and then try to use SDHC cards which are much higher capacity. You should be able to use 16+GB cards without a problem.
    Ray.

So unlike Mobile Phones, Digital Camera has no limit? If it's HC it'll support upto 16GB?

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible...0_Memory_Cards < This site says 'The largest SDHC card you can use in your Canon PowerShot A470 is 8GB'

It is not about mobile phones v digital cameras. It is about support for SD v SDHC. I don't know about "mobile phones" or yours in particular. If it supports SDHC, it should support 32GB SDHC cards. My mobile phone uses an 8GB micro SDHC card. That is only because I couldn't find a 16/32GB at the time.

If it supports SDHC, it should go up to 32GB. If it only supports SD(not SDHC) then it only goes up to 2GB.

from the Canon website:
    SD / MMC Card Compatibility Information.

Canon camera and camcorder models have been designed to be fully compatible with memory cards that adhere to their respective card standards. Below is a chart reflecting the standards supported by our current models. To ensure card compatibility with your camera or camcorder model, please contact the memory card manufacturer for further information and assistance in determining card compatibility.

SD
    Secure Digital standard card supports capacities up to 2 GB.

SDHC
    Secure Digital High Capacity currently supports capacities up to 32 GB.

MMC
    MultiMedia Card supports capacities up to 1 GB.

MMCPlus
    MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 4GB currently.

HC MMCPlus
    High Capacity MultiMediaCardPlus supports up to 8 GB capacities currently.

Ray.
    Last edited by Ray Schnoor; 08-06-2009 at 06:17 AM.

Wow! That was useful! Exactly what i wanted! Couldn't find such information. I'm new to digital cameras, so pardon my ignorance! Still learning! You're right about the "HC" support thing. It's just that whenever i check the specs of the phones. It'll say "support upto 16" and while some phones with "support upto 32" info. Even it's with the newer phones. So it's confusing. Anyway, the information you posted from Canon is useful for me!

This could be off-topic. But since you're here... i have to ask! I'm about to sell my Powershot A470. Can you tell me which should i buy next? I picked these cameras so help me choose one.

PowerShot A480
    PowerShot E1
    Canon PowerShot A1100 IS

I had posted the thread > http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44709 but didn't get many replies to decide.

Image quality is first priority. You can also suggest me another camera in this price category. Under $200.

You'll be better off starting a new thread and filling out the questionnaire at the top of the "Which Camera should I buy?" forum.

David! You were the only one who replied in my previous thread! I'd check every day just to see if there are any new replies! :P Thanks for the tip! Will create the new thread there. Didn't know such a category exsited! Will keep that in mind now.

I have a Powershot A570 which is used mostly by my wife. It has always given great results within P&S standards. This is to say it does not have the shutter response and high ISO results of a dSLR. Otherwise, it does give great photos. I assume that the A580 would be similar in quality and would therefore recommend it. The A480 is a little smaller and I have no experience with that line, but would assume it would give equally good photos. Is it worth the extra price for the A580, that is a question only you can answer for yourself.

If you are happy with your A470 why not just go ahead and get the A480. You are probably already familiar with the layout of the camera, assuming that there has not been much changed in the A480 from the A470.
    Ray.