Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    besids which who CARES if there is no room for growth in MP ?!?!? i only have 12mp and yesterday blew up a shot for someone thats a 24x16 and its absolutely flawless.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Seeing as we're on the subject, did everyone see this ...

"This feast of football celebrates the launch of new Cyber-shot, Handycam and α DSLR models featuring the Exmor R CMOS sensor; and Sony's commitment to the world game as an Official FIFA Partner."

http://australia.sony.com.au/SonyTwi...the-prize.html

I know I mentioned it before but ....

It seems to me that the whole megapixel war thing may have reached a plateau.
    I suspect that over the next couple of years rather than seeing more and more megapixels with each new release we are likely to (finally) see innovations in the user interface or shooting features or actual shape of cameras.
    The reality is that there are very few (and I suspect that the percentage of DSLR users here is less than the fingers on one hand) who have any need for more pixels and if camera manufacturers are at all smart they will see that the size and weight advantages of a 10 or 12 MP APS-C camera and lens over a similar sized or even larger MP FF camera and lens combo will result in far more sales than trying to push FF into Joe Average shooter.
    Camera companies are businesses based on profit and there will be far more profit in pushing Mr and Mrs P&S into DSLR than there will be in pushing pixel peepers into FF.
    Last edited by K1W1; 08-08-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Seeing as we're on the subject, did everyone see this ...

"This feast of football celebrates the launch of new Cyber-shot, Handycam and α DSLR models featuring the Exmor R CMOS sensor; and Sony's commitment to the world game as an Official FIFA Partner."

http://australia.sony.com.au/SonyTwi...the-prize.html

I know I mentioned it before but ....
    Someone on DPR emailed Sony regarding that and they said it was a mistake. There will not be any new Exmor R α DSLRs at the event, only Exmor sensors.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Good catch, Ryan. Peter got an early release of that statement and the announcement has been corrected, from my understanding, also.

Let's face it, people do make mistakes ... and the "R" is being held for future updates. Perhaps, next year. The build of the device is still not large enough to be considered for the Full Frame sensor, so it won't be coming down that pipe, yet ... and making an APS-C sensor that shoots a lot better than your top of the line Full Frame ... well, that's not not really smart marketing.

Oh, we'd love it ... but it would screw everything up.

Technology aside ... the return to Full Frame would be the "natural progression" of the art. Denying this seems ... well, rather limiting. Are we really wanting to say that to each other?

I would suggest that we lean our advancement and purchases toward eventually obtaining a Full Frame DSLR. Forget APS-C ... as you would a cassette tape or a special "legacy" purchase. In the end, you will probably be happier.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

A good read guys, not sure if I learned anything or became more confused, really should have showed up to more of those math classes.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    It seems to me that the whole megapixel war thing may have reached a plateau.
    I suspect that over the next couple of years rather than seeing more and more megapixels with each new release we are likely to (finally) see innovations in the user interface or shooting features or actual shape of cameras.
    The reality is that there are very few (and I suspect that the percentage of DSLR users here is less than the fingers on one hand) who have any need for more pixels and if camera manufacturers are at all smart they will see that the size and weight advantages of a 10 or 12 MP APS-C camera and lens over a similar sized or even larger MP FF camera and lens combo will result in far more sales than trying to push FF into Joe Average shooter.
    Camera companies are businesses based on profit and there will be far more profit in pushing Mr and Mrs P&S into DSLR than there will be in pushing pixel peepers into FF.
    K1W1 I really doubt that we've plateaud out. You're absolutely right that we don't actually need more MegaPixels. I think I'm right in saying that the optimum for APS-C is 15MP and 35MP for FF. Lens diffraction wipes out any gains above that.
    But the perception of Joe Public (and Marketing men) is that MP's are linked with Quality so don't hold your breath.

Neither do I think that Sony is trying to push FF on the average user. I think the "dumbed down" new Sony entry level cameras show where Sony sees the volume market.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    But the perception of Joe Public (and Marketing men) is that MP's are linked with Quality so don't hold your breath.

regretfully, you are right.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Someone on DPR emailed Sony regarding that and they said it was a mistake. There will not be any new Exmor R α DSLRs at the event, only Exmor sensors.
    That's a bit of a shame. Unless Sony AU jumped the gun and is trying to recoup it's position.

Is it significant that the A900 has seen some price cutting going on in the channel. Prices are down to 1599 in the Uk and HK are very active in trying to shift their stocks. I can't see why they would do that simply because of the A850; there are bound to be people who are happy to pay more for the FPS of the A900 especially if it's true that production has ceased. I wonder if the replacement camera is nearer than we think

do you think its significant ? hmm i dunno. its been a poor seller from the get-go so they are just trying to dump as many of em as they possibly can real cheap. even the a700 was discounted pretty heavily once it started to get hammered by all the newer models.

its a bit like the d5000, poor seller so they are already discounting it very early in its product cycle. the 40d and 50d copped the same treatment.

bottom line, who knows what sony's up to. they may flood the market as suggested or it may all be a mixup and there are only a few models. i think its the latter to be honest.

uf there is indeed a refresh of sony's top of the line bodies its to catch up with video quickly. if they don't they will not sell.
    flickr