Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks Ray
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Look, I don't want you to think I'm being Luddite in my view of Video in a DSLR. It's true that I have no use for it and don't regard it as a plus when evaluating a camera. That's not to say I don't think others should take the opposite view if they so wish. Neither am I daft enough to think that Video won't become de rigeur in the future. So long as it doesn't compromise the natural function of the camera I will accept it as yet another useless option that will remain unused.

What I do think is that most of you who are hankering after the feature will be sorely disappointed. The only advantages of DSLR Video I can think of is, one camera rather than two and shallow DOF which can be an equally big disadvantage, other than that the VidCam wins hands down. I've heard lots of people say that the feature will enable them to quickly and easily capture some Video when they've only got the DSLR with them (young Mom's in particular). Well, forget it, the problems of focus, rolling shutter distortion, no power zoom, no EVF and maybe a fixed LCD mean that Video capture with a DSLR is going to take a whole lot more planning and staging than does taking a still picture. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not easy. And, if you begrudge the time taken in post processing your still shots, have you (not) got a treat coming in cutting and editing a bit of Video. Oh, and you'll probably need to upgrade your PC.

Plus that dandy software Apple's "Final Cut Studio 2" ... a mere $1100. Sign me up!

Again, we are off-topic. I do not remember mentioning VIDEO as part of the Full Frame vs APC future. Weird ... must come under the Randomization Theory of public discussion. Well, at least its not about "health care" or lack there of.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-10-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Plus that dandy software Apple's "Final Cut Studio 2" ... a mere $1100. Sign me up!

Again, we are off-topic. I do not remember mentioning VIDEO as part of the Full Frame vs APC future. Weird ... must come under the Randomization Theory of public discussion. Well, at least its not about "health care" or lack there of.
    Final Cut is $999. There are also plenty of alternatives (Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro)

The latest version of photoshop CS4 is $699, not a cheap title either.

But considering what the two can do, they seem RELATIVELY appropriately priced.

Yes, we are off topic, Peek brought it up .
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Remaining off topic ... for argument's sake ... you can do a relatively decent job with Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 (retail box) for around a mere $64. What would drive a newbie to PS CS4?

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    ........ Yes, we are off topic, Peek brought it up .
    Actually it was Rooz, I just stuck my foot in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    The only advantages of DSLR Video I can think of is, one camera rather than two and shallow DOF which can be an equally big disadvantage, other than that the VidCam wins hands down.
    the biggest benefit i see is low light. and i dont mean LOWWWWW light, i'm talking iso800 low light. current video cameras are incapable of doing that. you can also switch lens'...BIG deal imo. some of us have invested in outstanding glass and to match that up to a moving picture is awesome.

and having only one camera is a big deal in my book. i could switch from photo to video at the flick of a switch.

I've heard lots of people say that the feature will enable them to quickly and easily capture some Video when they've only got the DSLR with them (young Mom's in particular). Well, forget it, the problems of focus, rolling shutter distortion, no power zoom, no EVF and maybe a fixed LCD mean that Video capture with a DSLR is going to take a whole lot more planning and staging than does taking a still picture. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not easy. And, if you begrudge the time taken in post processing your still shots, have you (not) got a treat coming in cutting and editing a bit of Video. Oh, and you'll probably need to upgrade your PC.
    in its current state you are right, but video will get better. much easier to use and software will become far more available and cheaper.

what you are doing is essentially the equivalent of what lots of guys did when getting their hands on the first prototype dslr and writing the whole genre off cos of the "issues" it had in its first incarnation. look at the potential, not the shortcomings.

as for PP video, that doesnt change from the current process of PP video from a video cam.
    Last edited by Rooz; 08-11-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I don't disagree with what you are saying.
    My point was that although I personally have no desire for Video I can see that others do.
    Also that it's going to be a disappointment in its current form.
    Doesn't the Exmor R sensor start to address the low light problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I don't disagree with what you are saying.
    My point was that although I personally have no desire for Video I can see that others do.
    Also that it's going to be a disappointment in its current form.
    Doesn't the Exmor R sensor start to address the low light problem?
    It does. But just putting in a larger sensor I think would help the most.

The Sony XR-520V, top of the line exmor-r, does ok, but the competition even outperforms it. It looks good on paper, but isn't quite up to snuff it seems. Maybe in the second generation they can do better.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...Conclusion.htm
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

So that doesn't sound good for the Exmor R sensor, or is it just bad implementation?