Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool SONY α850 Manual available for review

Okay ... another screwy release of information ... for your perusal.

It's been out since Aug 1st, so no big deal.

α850 Manual

Have a peek ... it is basically a α900 (still w/o the flash), 24 MP, 3 fps, One Bionz processor and better throughput in the burst modes ... and improved NR (noise reduction) with JPEGs (Halleluiah!).

I guess this "product leak" rates as a pretty cheap exposure ... LOL

EDIT: Just get an A900 manual and rip out the page that has the "Remote Commander" on it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-03-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Summation
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question What crop?

There is NO CROP MODE (see page 21 of the manual) ... so SONY DT (TAMRON Di-II and SIGMA DC) lenses are out. Full frame only, without vignetting.

That eliminates 4 of mine right off the top ...

SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM (SONY) (77mm-filter) (MFD=9.4-in) {Jan 2008} (Japan)
    TAMRON SP AF 17~50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) (SONY) (67mm-filter) (MFD=1.5-ft){Nov 2007} (Japan)
    SONY SAL-1870 DT - 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (SONY) (55mm filter) (MFD=1.5-ft) {Jul 2006} (CHINA) (using this lens is like putting lipstick on a pig!)
    TAMRON AF18~250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro "All-in-one" zoom (SONY) (62mm-filter) (MFD=1.5-ft) {Apr 2007} (Japan)

EDIT: After some further review, this aspect my still be in contention, as there is no clear declaration of how this new camera will respond to DT lenses other than how the A900 did.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-02-2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Exclamation Further investigation required ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    There is NO CROP MODE (see page 21 of the manual) ... so SONY DT (TAMRON Di-II and SIGMA DC) lenses are out. Full frame only, without vignetting.

EDIT: After some further review, this aspect my still be in contention, as there is no clear declaration of how this new camera will respond to DT lenses other than how the A900 did.
    Tom, this still needs some investigation ... get me a camera! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    looking for more gadgets to buy Don ? i thought bodies didnt "do it for you".
    A new Full Frame upgrade would not be bad ... seeing that I have kind of overtaxed my current body a little. I can honestly say I have shot more images with that A700 than ALL of my cameras, combined! I appreciate that SONY did not corrupt the new camera with the video gimmickry or other technological nonsense.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-03-2009 at 09:23 AM.

flickr & Sdi

No big deal regarding crop mode, you (and I) we have a C sensor camera. If you put a 16-35 on a FF, and 24-70mm on a crop, you have a wide range covered. You can always crop in post I would think.

I was going to post it, but it's really not that exciting. The only thing that would make it exciting would be the price. I also didn't realized it didn't have a PUF (pop up flash).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Question What's stoppin' ya?

Well ... the price point will decide this for me. I will probably test one as soon as I can ... just to see if the improved NR is there.

I have a KM AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 "D" lens, so the generic ultra wide angle is covered quite well, along with that new TAMRON SP AF 14mm f/2.8 and SIGMA 20mm f/1.8 DG EX lens. The TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) will take the place of the 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II

These glass purchases were made for just this move ... I have just gotta make it, I suppose.

Still ... the telescope and fisheye ... wow, this could be some bucks.

Name:  cash jacket.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  64.1 KB

What the "well-dressed" SONY DSLR
    Photographer will be wearing this year
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-02-2009 at 10:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi

When attaching a DT lens, [APS-C size capt.] is automatically selected.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I think you guys are just hung up on the camera body. And that is not a bad thing ... just something I'm not feeling all that pressured to have to get. It truly is a natural progression, just not very exciting, considering the substantial increase in overall cost
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    Bodies do it for me!

I must be missing something. I have the a900 and a850 pdf manuals and page 21 in both read identical.
    Sony α900
    Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8, Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8, Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G, Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

If the "Remote Commander" that came with the A700 works on the A850 ... that could be cool, too.

flickr & Sdi