Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    You know I am not a "pro." Money does not determine my shooting style. Normally, I support the common and traditional advice concerning lighting set ups ... and there is nothing convoluted about it, so I would appreciate you not painting it as such. You do everyone a disservice.
    Yet you presume to tell people who HAVE shot professionally or DO shoot professionally how they should go about their business? Odd response, Don, very odd.

Let's stand back a second Don - I asked you one, simple question; Why shoot manual all the time.

You came back with a long, rambling, and frankly patronizing (at best) or insulting (at worst) answer, and you expect people to be civil in return? If you shoot manual because that's how you prefer to do it, that's awesome - don't tell me I'm worse because I choose not to.

You want to tout your own superiority because this is the way you shoot? Alright, but expect to be questioned on it.

Oh, and I did shoot with a Nikon FM and FG-20 for 10+ years, so don't talk to me like I have no idea what I'm going on about.
    Last edited by jekostas; 07-30-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

one of my favorites to shoot was my old rolliflex...the full size view made focusing a breeze...

Studio lighting is not my strongest area .
    given your methodology thats hardly surprising. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

This is the typical response I expected. This conversation ends concerning this topic.

Thanks for your time in the SONY DSLR forum ... you may tottle off. I ask that you waste my time, no more.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

jebus guys, can't we all be friends?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

This is the typical response I expected. This conversation ends concerning this topic.

Thanks for your time in the SONY DSLR forum ... you may tottle off. I ask that you waste my time, no more.
    don i think you should be looking at YOUR responses before sulking about how others respond to you.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    jebus guys, can't we all be friends?
    You want to know what my question was? This was my exact question:

"Yes, I was going to ask about this - why do you shoot manual all the time?"

That's it. Nothing more. Considering the current advances in camera technology and the gear Don has at his disposal, I don't think it's an unfair question, either.

Instead, I get an overbearing, patronizing, insulting response.

Don talks to down people like they're children. He feels the need to say what is a "professional" way to shoot to people who've shot professionally, when he claims he's not (while being hilariously, hilariously wrong about said advice). He touts his own superiority in the methods by which he takes pictures when what he's posted on these forums for public viewing shows otherwise, and then makes up excuses (blaming your equipment, eh Don?).

So, no, not really, and I will happily treat DonSchap in the exact same manner as he treats me and others.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    You want to know what my question was? This was my exact question:

"Yes, I was going to ask about this - why do you shoot manual all the time?"

That's it. Nothing more. Considering the current advances in camera technology and the gear Don has at his disposal, I don't think it's an unfair question, either.

Instead, I get an overbearing, patronizing, insulting response.

Don talks to down people like they're children. He feels the need to say what is a "professional" way to shoot to people who've shot professionally, when he claims he's not (while being hilariously, hilariously wrong about said advice). He touts his own superiority in the methods by which he takes pictures when what he's posted on these forums for public viewing shows otherwise, and then makes up excuses (blaming your equipment, eh Don?).

So, no, not really, and I will happily treat DonSchap in the exact same manner as he treats me and others.
    what has that got to do with what i said?

btw i saw your rude comment before you edited it at the top post of this page so i don't think you should be the one touting righteousness!

i'm not defending anyone here but do you guys really have to get carried away like this and be uncivil to each other?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Cool Read slow ... let it soak in

Look ... I have been shooting since the SLR was invented. Manual was the name of the game until the program mode came out. I feel perfectly comfortable with it and I won't complain when other people beg off on program modes. Have at it. More power to ya.

TTL has never impressed me ... it has often screwed up more images, fighting for control, that I ever successfully enjoyed using it ... and "old school" is still okay, despite your objections, Jekostas. Get a light meter and join in!

Welcome to my Photographic World.
    I think this covered that ... Jekostas. Please read ... and heed ... this time
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think this covered that ... Jekostas. Please read ... and heed ... this time
    Hm... you seem to selectively edited out parts.

Seems a little "juvenile" in my opinion, but that is just me. Most people eventually grow out of "hand holding" and can eventually read their own storybook
    Then there was this jewel.

Unfortunately, the XG-A was so limited in its control, I sold it and its lenses as soon as I could. This camera was a "Jekostas" dream-come-true. The first P&S DSLR!
    And ended with this

"Juvenile"?
    "Tottle"?

I can selectively quote what you posted as well, Don. I'm well aware you answered my question, I'm also well aware that you did so in the most overbearing, patronizing way you possibly could. Plus, you stooped to a personal insult to do so (not the first time you've done it, either).
    Last edited by jekostas; 07-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0