Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post

Wouldn't have even kept that Starved Rock blown out sky shot, and of course I would have never shot in that light. The Red Tailed Hawk, blown also, and blurry due to camera shake, could have used an incident meter, or about -2/3EV to -1, and some IS...good thing you were in M mode, and your camera has built in IS. Oh wait, that's why you switched to Sony. I can take one look at my Histogram and see what I need to dial in EC. Prolly faster than metering with an incident meter. The incident meter has its place and I use one quite often when shooting landscapes and slow moving objects.
    It's not even camera shake on that hawk, because there's like an inch of falconer's glove at the bottom of the picture that's good and sharp - the focus was blown, pure and simple. How one manages to do that (unless one is focusing manually without a corrected dioptre) I'll never know.

Not closing down the aperture on that juvenile eagle with the 200-500 is pretty bad as well. If that was shot in Program or Aperture Priority it would've been simple to do.

The starved rock shot... well, there is detail in the sky if you dial back the contrast and EV by a full step, even in the processed JPEG. It... wasn't, however.
    Last edited by jekostas; 07-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Guys ... the A700 does the same thing

"Scene Selection" is a P&S beg off ... for those who need a quick move with some settings, while having others preset. Call it a "convenience factor" of sorts. The A900 does not have it.

Anyway .. prepping for the show ... and I appreciate you non-SONY types filtering in ... I have to admit, your own forums are looking a little lean. I have a great idea ... dump your gear and grab a SONY DSLR.

I guess, 'jekostas', you missed the part where I mentioned I was having some intermittent issues with aperture control. Oh well ... so much for LISTENING, eh? Photographers don't necessarily have to have great hearing ... or comprehension skills, I suspect. Just shoot until it looks right, isn't that right 'Rooz'?

I can just hear it now ... "I finally got 50,000 actuations on my Nikon!" Well, good for you. Tear that bad boy up!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don i think you are confusing Creative Styles with Scene Modes.
    Both a700 and a900 have Creative Styles. a900 doesn't have the Scene Modes like Sports, Night Portrait, Fireworks and such.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thumbs up Correction noted ...

You are right ... "Scene Selection" ... or "Creative Modes" (if you are Don's camera.). LOL sorry, my screw up. I knew what I meant.

Anyway ... everything I said, just substitute "Scene Selection" in there. I will EDIT (in green) accordingly. Oops. I apologize for the confusion ... but reread thread and it should be clear, now.

Thanks, Elisha (I will have to speak to my proof-reader ... )
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Geesh

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Hey ... I apologized ... what do you want for free effort? Send a darn check. Pay to play!

The rest of these bozos do nothing but moan and complain about ... well, just about everything. And they are not even shooting through the SONY rig! Just chimpping with whatever.

Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 01:06 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    That may be "okay" in a non-professional environment, where time is not money ... but, like I stated earlier in this thread ... just because you do it that way, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

I didn't know you were a professional, Don. I'd love to see some of your uber-complex lighting setups and the resulting photos.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 07-30-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

I guess, 'jekostas', you missed the part where I mentioned I was having some intermittent issues with aperture control. Oh well ... so much for LISTENING, eh? Photographers don't necessarily have to have great hearing ... or comprehension skills, I suspect. Just shoot until it looks right, isn't that right 'Rooz'?
    No I didn't, actually. I also didn't miss that you said you weren't having said issues while in Manual mode, either. So, uh, I guess you just don't know your equipment well enough then, huh? Alright, I can accept that.
    Last edited by jekostas; 07-30-2009 at 01:50 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    So, uh, I guess you just don't know your equipment well enough then, huh? Alright, I can accept that.
    Okay ... I'll make you a deal ... you wire the aperture setting pin in your lens with an push button on-off switch. Then I'll just arbitrarily trigger the switch while you are shooting ... in manual mode ... and then you can figure out when and if the lens is actually working. You are a smart guy ... shouldn't be an issue, right? Oh ... you will have no warning, either. Could happen ANY time. That should keep you on your toes.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    I didn't know you were a professional, Don. I'd love to see some of your uber-complex lighting setups and the resulting photos.
    You know I am not a "pro." Money does not determine my shooting style. Normally, I support the common and traditional advice concerning lighting set ups ... and there is nothing convoluted about it, so I would appreciate you not painting it as such. You do everyone a disservice.

Studio lighting is not my strongest area. I have an occasional wild hair and then you realize how difficult it is to get all of the lights "just so." In fact, I was actually considering a method of designing a studio with automated lighting ... where robotic arms and intensity controls would move and reposition the lighting based on the size, height and girth of the group. Problem is ... as always, limited money for this kind of experiment. It would be nice to getting a 'grant' for such an exploratory design ... but, this is not medical science or a cure for AIDS ... so, forget that.

Anyway ... light me up! It's all for fun, anyway.

flickr & Sdi