Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I honestly do not believe if you told people during a professional interview that you simply shoot the image, over and over, until it looks right that you would get hired. I would hazard to say that most models would walk out on you, by you doing that kind of thing.
    (
    Sorry Don, but you are blatantly, incredibly, fantastically, WRONG here. Models are paid by session fee, not picture, and if you're shooting products you only have them for a set amount of time. You take as many pictures as you possibly can, even if it's the same pose a couple dozen times, to make sure that you get one good enough to go in print, online, or be sold. You take pictures, adjust, take picture, adjust, ad nauseum until you've covered every variable you can think of, especially if it's a pose marked as a must in the contract. Models know this, they expect this. Only an amateur would walk out or expect otherwise.

YES, I've shot professionally in a studio environment, since you're going to ask.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Chimp? Yeah ... that's the artist of the new millennia, for sure. A P&S Groupie. I swear, digital has turned you into a simple person, 'Rooz.' It leads one to ask, "Do you use your head for more than a hat rack or simply a location to place your camera's viewfinder against?"

I honestly do not believe if you told people during a professional interview that you simply shoot the image, over and over, until it looks right that you would get hired. I would hazard to say that most models would walk out on you, by you doing that kind of thing.

That may be "okay" in a non-professional environment, where time is not money ... but, like I stated earlier in this thread ... just because you do it that way, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.

You are putting bad advice out there ... and that should stop. "Cheating the system" still is an unacceptable practice. We need to get back to basics ... not smear them.

lol i've ALWAYS been a simple person Don, digital just fits me better.

i'm just glad i don't live in that world of calculators, rules, ratios, numbers, gadgets and all the rest of that mumbojumbo tekkie shit. i just take photos and use my eyes. its quicker, easier and most of all its MILES more fun. try it sometime...it may be liberating for you.

thanks for the laugh this morning though mate. i havent laughed so hard in a while.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Glad I could be of service ...

And they say you need a "college education" for this ... HAH! What do THEY know? All you need is an iPhone and a P&S ... and let the business begin!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-29-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Glad I could be of service ...
    lol...well...irrelevant nonsense IS somehting i have come to expect from you...but this one was particularly amusing.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

re;
    SONYNUT ... I have been through the α900 owner's manual a couple of times and I cannot see where the "Creative Modes" are hidden. Please, enlighten me. The "1", "2" & "3" on the α900's "Mode Knob" are custom presets that you design, yourself, and stick in "Memory". On the α700's "Mode Knob", it is the "MR" (Memory Recall) selection, where you use the LCD to pick from the three custom setups that you designed.

they are in the screen menu
    6 customizable settings..you can have 6 vivids example if you wanted with dif sat, sharp, ect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

check out page 22-23 on the a900 big brochure

I bow to you M shooter...you have awesome skeeelz

That's a very good shot of the F22 Raptor...BTW, how did you meter that? TTL perhaps? pretty hard to get incident light off something moving that fast. Or did you use a sunny f/16? Hmmmm. Anyway that's a pretty nice shot, but incident meter?

I use the mode for my situation, and my photos come out just fine, thank you. I never venture below P, but I use what's available to me.

Wouldn't have even kept that Starved Rock blown out sky shot, and of course I would have never shot in that light. The Red Tailed Hawk, blown also, and blurry due to camera shake, could have used an incident meter, or about -2/3EV to -1, and some IS...good thing you were in M mode, and your camera has built in IS. Oh wait, that's why you switched to Sony. I can take one look at my Histogram and see what I need to dial in EC. Prolly faster than metering with an incident meter. The incident meter has its place and I use one quite often when shooting landscapes and slow moving objects.

I have nearly the same process as Rooz, but I don't machine gun, I'll guarantee I take a lot less photographs than you do. I use my TTL and Histogram and adjust from there. There are a lot of ways to get to the end result and no one here needs condescending comments to improve their photography.

Look ... I have been shooting since the SLR was invented. Manual was the name of the game until the program mode came out. I feel perfectly comfortable with it and I won't complain when other people beg off on program modes. Have at it. More power to ya.

A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    re;
    SONYNUT ... I have been through the α900 owner's manual a couple of times and I cannot see where the "Creative Modes" are hidden. Please, enlighten me. The "1", "2" & "3" on the α900's "Mode Knob" are custom presets that you design, yourself, and stick in "Memory". On the α700's "Mode Knob", it is the "MR" (Memory Recall) selection, where you use the LCD to pick from the three custom setups that you designed.

they are in the screen menu
    6 customizable settings..you can have 6 vivids example if you wanted with dif sat, sharp, ect.
    Steve:

If you're asking what I think you're asking, I had the same problem and figured it out. You push the "C" button to bring up the Creative Style modes and the menu at left shows six of them. Let's say you don't plan on using "Standard" and instead want to use "Landscape." When "Standard" at left is highlighted, use the joy stick to move to the right screen highlighting the "Standard" at the bottom of the screen, then by using the joy stick up or down, you will bring up the full range of creative styles and can select the one you want ... in this example "Landscape." From now on, until you change it, you will have "Landscape" in the main menu at left to choose from.

Now, if you're asking about programming the 1, 2, 3 preset menus, set the dial on the preset number, adjust the settings on the menu screen as you want them, then press menu, go to the camera icon at screen four, press memory, select the register number, and depress the joystick, voila your settings are now in memory.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

If the creative modes on the α900 are available, they have to be menu ... not the mode knob, right?

α900
    Attachment 47910

α700
    Attachment 47911

For any of the dial settings on the α900, you can set a "Creative Style" by depressing the "C" button at the back of the camera and selecting one of the creative styles, e.g. "night" "B&W" "landscape" "vivid" etc. As far as I can tell from my use of the α900, the "Creative Style" you select will remain even after the camera is turned off, that is with the exception of "auto" which resets to the "Standard" "Creative Style".
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I wasnt asking that was an re; to don