Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation A bit more of a problem using DSLRs and lots of lenses.

Recently, I had been having aperture issues with a couple lenses, but not all of them. My SONY 50mm f/1.4 and the SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX were the primary couple that had, what I would term, “intermittent aperture issues”, during shooting. My other lenses were performing fine, which would logically lead you to believe your two lenses were … “bad.”

Well, after some rather unusual testing … using AUTO and MANUAL Modes, I noticed that:

1) In Manual Mode, the aperture was indicating whatever I choose, but not necessarily at that aperture when the shutter released.
    2) In AUTO Mode, the aperture setting was BLANK or just two dashes (--), indicating a “no lens” condition. (Hey, the lens was on there!)

I have determined that the contact pin on my camera, when using these two lenses, was not striking the contact on the lens firmly enough to work ALL THE TIME. It was, truly, intermittent. Believe me, these kind of problems can be really “hairy” -> Now, it works … now, it doesn’t.

The worst of all this is … I am mostly a MANUAL shooter … and do not use the camera’s AUTO settings much at all. So this “missing lens” detail did not even come up under most shooting circumstances. The camera simply told the lens what to close down to and that was all she wrote. The problem is, the lens did NOT get that message.

Anyway, what it boils down to is the rather ‘advanced use’ my camera has gotten over the past two years. All of the lens change-offs are finally taking their toll. I mention this as merely a reference point for people who may eventually come to this weird crossroad. Like “Information Technology (IT) issues” they rarely repeat, but when they do … it sometimes helps to have someone, way back when, report what they had found in the reference material database.

So, if you start seeing your camera overexposing for no apparent reason … clean those eight gold lens contacts in the camera’s lens mount and physically inspect them for equal and proper length projection.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Fyi..if you have ever used a md adapter you may have damaged them..even shorted them out..

I noticed on the one i bought that it was not machined to have any space for them..or the ap arm..i sent it back

No "MD" adapter in my inventory. All my lenses are "AF"

This appears to be entirely a "wear issue."

EDIT: Yes, I did get that SRT-101 recently, and it has two MC level lenses ... but, I would not bother using them on the SONYs.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-29-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post

The worst of all this is … I am mostly a MANUAL shooter … and do not use the camera’s AUTO settings much at all. So this “missing lens” detail did not even come up under most shooting circumstances. The camera simply told the lens what to close down to and that was all she wrote. The problem is, the lens did NOT get that message.
    Yes, I was going to ask about this - why do you shoot manual all the time?
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

why do you shoot manual all the time?
    TOTAL CONTROL

Cool Doing it "old school"

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Yes, I was going to ask about this - why do you shoot manual all the time?
    Look ... I have been shooting since the SLR was invented. Manual was the name of the game until the program mode came out. I feel perfectly comfortable with it and I won't complain when other people beg off on program modes. Have at it. More power to ya.

TTL has never impressed me ... it has often screwed up more images, fighting for control, that I ever successfully enjoyed using it ... and "old school" is still okay, despite your objections, Jekostas. Get a light meter and join in!

The α700 could have lost the "automated presets" in the "Scene Selections". I can honestly say I have never used them ... and the α900 does not even have them Seems a little "juvenile" in my opinion, but that is just me. Most people eventually grow out of "hand holding" and can eventually read their own storybook. I know this is anti-progressive thinking, but that's the way I do it.

Welcome to my Photographic World.

Name:  Dons-F-22_Panorama.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  503.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 11:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

What did you start with don...i had a srt101

The α700 could have lost the "automated presets" in the Creative Modes. I can honestly say I have never used them ... and the α900 does not even have them

YEH IT DOES

You got to admit the auto bracketing is pretty damn cool if you like hdr

Cool History makes us who we are ...

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    What did you start with don...i had a srt101
    I started with an Argus C3 Viewfinder.

Name:  Argus C3.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  76.9 KB

It was a novel system. That device on the top was a light meter ... which you based your shot on.

I then went to Minolta XG-series SLR cameras in the mid-seventies.

Name:  MinoltaXGAp.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  64.3 KB

Unfortunately, the XG-A was so limited in its control, I sold it and its lenses as soon as I could. This camera was a "Jekostas" dream-come-true. The first P&S SLR!

I then bought one of the first Maxxum 7000s in 1985 ... bought into the Maxxum 9000 System four times over in 1987 ... it was manual shooter's dream set.

I hugged that puppy until 2005 ... when I became unhinged and bought into Canon's unstabilized model DSLR ... and when Minolta swallowed the poison pill. I quickly grew tired of handshake in my "slower" digital shots and in 2006, I returned back to Minolta -> in the SONY version ... where my limited set of lenses were of some value, again, along with Super SteadyShot (SSS) & the α100. I have since kept it real ... with the release of the α700.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    The α700 could have lost the "automated presets" in the Creative Modes. I can honestly say I have never used them ... and the α900 does not even have them

YEAH, IT DOES
    If the "Scene Selections" on the α900 are available, they have to be menu ... not the mode knob, right?

α900
    Name:  A900_mode-dial.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  130.8 KB

α700
    Name:  topcontrol-left A700.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  28.7 KB

SONYNUT ... I have been through the α900 owner's manual a couple of times and I cannot see where the "Scene Selections" are hidden. Please, enlighten me. The "1", "2" & "3" on the α900's "Mode Knob" are custom presets that you design, yourself, and stick in "Memory". On the α700's "Mode Knob", it is the "MR" (Memory Recall) selection, where you use the LCD to pick from the three custom setups that you designed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-30-2009 at 08:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi