Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Cool Sticking the blame ...

Ryan, I have this thing and its all your fault.

Anyway, I was consulting with Gary Fong's crew about a variation on the "WhaleTail" diffuser, because unlike the HVL-F56AM, the flash head of the '58 does not swivel. That is a crucial aspect of the WT device. Then, they go and tell me they are discontinuing the WT altogether. LOL Nothing seems to last for long in this business.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Teleconverters ... what is the sacrifice in performance?

Back to the AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS ...

Adding the 1.4x and 2x T/Cs to this lens definitely defeats its 'rocket' focus. It becomes more like that of the standard lenses ... although, not many are 400mm long! With the 2x T/C on, the f/2.8 base aperture is reduced, of course, to f/5.6. I guess that makes a good argument for whipping out the cash clip and peeling off another 2.5 Gs for the AF 400mm f/4.5 APO G

What's in the box?
    Name:  400mm f45 in the box.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  70.4 KB

Optical Magic!
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

the sigma because 4.5 is just amazing
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Ryan, I have this thing and its all your fault.

Anyway, I was consulting with Gary Fong's crew about a variation on the "WhaleTail" diffuser, because unlike the HVL-F56AM, the flash head of the '58 does not swivel. That is a crucial aspect of the WT device. Then, they go and tell me they are discontinuing the WT altogether. LOL Nothing seems to last for long in this business.
    You'll wonder how you bounced without it! So many options with that head.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Nothing seems to last for long in this business.
    yes it does. a simple bounce card and rubber band. all that other crap is just marketing nonsense.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I am so confused, now. All this wonderful equipment ... I cannot decide what to use first

flickr & Sdi

To blow right through the confusion... I must tell you that it has been quite awhile since I addressed what I would do with a grand for my camera system. Nearly 4-years, actually.

Yes, it has been a work in progress... and I wound up getting many of the items that were discussed here. Acch, decision-making was never my strong suit. I say, "Buy 'em all!"

I eventually wound up with these:

The SAL 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM (Version 1) <- this lens likes power
    The Celestron NexSTAR 8SE Telescope & Tripod Gimble Mount
    The SIGMA 12-24mm f/4-5.6 DG EX UWA Zoom
    The SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX HSM IF Zoom
    The Metz 76 MZ5 Super flash w/ 2x batteries and the Quick-charge battery pack

All of which click in at or kinda near $1000 (more like $2000)

Be warned: With this hobby, it sure does not take long to burn through a wad of cash when it comes to equipment. Be careful what you wish for... you may just buy it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.

flickr & Sdi