Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thumbs up Adding to the pile ...

As luck would have it, I misplaced my first two PocketWizard Plus IIs that I had ... and have now replaced the two of them with ... yep, three more.

Why three you may ask ... well, one of the issues I have been plagued with just using two of these devices is the inability to get my optically triggered heavy-duty strobes to synchronize. With only 2 PWs ... as you might expect, I had one connected to the PC-sync port of the DSLR and the other to the MAIN or KEY flash (strobe).

These "matching" studio strobes all have a CELL-setting that allows a built-in optical sensor to instantaneously trigger each of the other strobes in a quasi-SLAVE mode, as it detects the PW-triggered strobe going off. The FILL just sat there, waiting to go off.

Well, what I am finding is that when you have a high ceiling or a blackened studio ceiling, the strobe's optical sensor does not work all that great, if at all. The reflected light is so absorbed by the room that ONLY ONE STROBE fires ... of course that's the one with the PW connected to it.

So ... since I have to get things done ... I bought two PW Plus IIs with standard flash sync cables (one for the KEY and one for the FILL). They will be wirelessly triggered by the third PW, connected to the DSLR.

When I do recover the other two PWs ... I will have them to ensure that the HAIR and BACKGROUND strobes are synch'd properly, also. It may cost a bit, but it is a far cry more reliable than betting the farm on that temperamental optical link.

EDIT
    : Discovered the other two PW Plus IIs in one of the camera cases. Now, I have that RF-sync for all of my Studio Strobes. Yeah, baby!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi