Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unhappy An annoying issue

Thank you, Elisha, for providing that.

After viewing, it confirmed that it was precisely how I set the units up. Heck, I even went and got a bowel of fruit, just in case.

Anyway, the flash will not stay in CTRL mode ... if I press the "AEL" on the rear to test ... it jumps out of "CTRL" mode and into "RMT" mode ... and the slave flash will not fire. It is probably a problem with the new flash and I have contacted SONY to try and figure out what. I am pretty sure this is the problem others are seeing, also.

There is no problem using the built-in (pop-up) to trigger all the flashes. This problem is that you cannot use the convenient advanced RATIO feature that the HVL-F58AM is supposed to provide ... and when you have multiple flashes, that is key.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face It cannot be done ... on anything other than an A900/A850

Okay ... mystery solved! After really digging into "the manual", there is a table in the HVL-F58AM Operating Instructions, page 59, which EXPANDS the limitations of cameras and mode operations. It specifically sights that ONLY the α900/α850 ... well, you can read it yourself.

Name:  Combo-chart-off-camera-flash-controller.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  372.5 KB

Please read, specifically, foot note *5. See where it states: "the setting is canceled automatically"? Yeah, I can confirm that.

No wonder that guy in the video had no problem doing it ... he had the α900/α900 ... a little attribute that I (or anyone else with a lesser model) simply cannot ignore. It would have been nice had he mentioned this limitation. So much for seeing is believing. I could have sworn he specifically implied that you should be able to do this with any of the DSLR cameras (not α100), when he referred to the SONY menu system on the back of the camera. I don't think Sulhan is a SONY rep and I should probably email him a note, so he does not confuse the masses.

So (sigh) ... I guess there is another tick mark for buying the α900 ... ratio flash with the older flashes.

Why? This still bothers me. WHY? What is it so different? I suppose it could have something to do with the 'second' BIONZ processor in the α900, but that is simply a guess. I don't think SONY is going to tell me.

In other words, if you own an α700 ... go buy some HVL-F42AM flashes, because ...

unless you have an α900 ... this RATIO feature on your "older" flashes is not available.

I cannot say "they didn't tell me", because, like anything ... it's probably in the fine print ... or footnote *5 !!!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

whats a ratio feature ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

It can be used as a controller on the α700 and α900 to control remote HVL-F58AM and HVL-F42AM units. These flashes can be assigned to three groups (HVL-F42AM are always in the first remote group), and you can set a ratio between these groups and the controller, e. g. 1:4:16 for groups 1, 2 and 3 respectively. There is also a backward-compatible controller mode. With that you can control also older units from a α900, with up to 2 groups and ratio control.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Lightbulb Ratio Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    whats a ratio feature ?
    Here is the HVL-F58AM manual feature explanation, but basically is does a bit more than what Canon's ST-E2 Speedlight Transmitter does.

Name:  ratio-control.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  230.6 KB

If you watch the prior YouTUBE video that 'Elisha82' supplied, you will see exactly how to set it up ... it should reduce the amount of chasing back & forth you would normally have to do to manually adjust the flash lighting.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.

flickr & Sdi

you mean controlling the power ? i still dont get it. if you have wireless control over a flash, cant you just set the power output of the flash unit manually ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Cool Ratio control

That is exactly what I was alluding to ... with the HVL-F58AM as the controller, once setup, you have the added capability of changing the output settings of each "flash group" (RMT or RMT2) without ever having to touch the remote flashes again.

Kind of looks like this on the back of the '58's LCD window"

Name:  HVL-F58AM-ratio-panel.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  340.2 KB
    The "CTRL+" means the HVL-F58AM is in the "HVL-F58AM/HVL-F42AM CONTROL MODE", allowing for three ratio groups

CNTL _ RMT _ RMT2

_ 1 _ : _ 1 _ : _ 1 _ <- where a one is full blast for each group

_ 2 _ : _ 1 _ : _ 4 _ < - where the 2 represents a 1/2 intensity on the '58 and the 4 represents a 1/4 intensity of whatever is in FLASH GROUP 2

_ - _ : _ 1 _ : _ 1 _ <- where the "-" means the '58 will NOT flash and the remote groups are at full power

It's kind of cool ... I just wish it worked with my α700. I really wanted to use it with my "older" flashes. I guess it is just another SONY lure (marketing ploy) to get us to buy more and more equipment. Just like the game systems ... keep creepin' them along by eliminating this and adding that ... another $200 here and there. Before you realize it, you've spent some REAL money!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-20-2009 at 06:10 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I really wanted to use it with my "older" flashes. I guess it is just another SONY lure (marketing ploy) to get us to buy more and more equipment. Just like the game systems ... keep creepin' them along by eliminating this and adding that ... another $200 here and there. Before you realize it, you've spent some REAL money!
    Huh. That really sucks Sony would disable such a useful feature on a prosumer-level dSLR, especially when they know a lot of people still rely on Minolta gear to make up their kit.
    Last edited by jekostas; 08-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Yeah, HVL-F42AMs are not all that cheap. I can routinely find them for around $235, but still ... why, when I have the perfectly good "older" dogs? But then, they are not making a dime off "that sale" any more.

flickr & Sdi