Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Repair

Lightbulb Lens Repair

The subject of lens repair comes up, now and then, with people buying EBAY cast offs ... and usually people let lenses go, because they have either dropped them, or the warranty expired and some went wrong with it.

My experience tells me that the seller rarely tells the buyer of some "unknown" defect and the lens is sold "as is."

I do not subscribe to this policy. I get my lenses repaired and then they get sold, if they are no longer used. I do not sell them until they are working properly and "as designed." Even that sometimes results in having to send it back to the repair facility a number of times to get it properly corrected. I am still having exposure issues with the SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 overexposing, after it was supposedly repaired back in January (09) by SIGMA. I originally turned it in for being "soft." They sharpened it up, but now it has this exposure issue. Go figure.

Normally, I write this up and submit it as a thread on the forum, to keep the members aware of problems that I encounter, just doing the normal day-to-day stuff digital photography requires of us.

The average repair charge that is currently in effect is roughly $90 (according to a recent repair request), depending on the problem, of course. Normal cleaning, adjusting, focusing ... is roughly that. If it is a parts issue and out-of-warranty, the costs have been as high as $165. That was for standard rime lenses. Obviously, bigger zooms and monster primes will be substantially higher.

Just earlier in the year, I turned in a lens for repair and was informed that SONY no longer supported it ... and they actually bought it back from me, for about 95% of what I paid for it. I still have the pieces of it that weren't submitted for repair. (Lens hood, filter, lens caps) I figure that's easily worth the missing 5% of what I paid for it, so we're square. They have since retired the lens from production, as of April 2009.

Anyway, since I was asked, I figure I would share this.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Caveat emptor!

Thanks for giving everyone a bad name..

Unhappy Bad deals ...

I have had my share of these unscrupulous "traders" on ebay, brick & mortar shops and other wonderful selling places. I cannot even trust the lenses when they come out of the box, brand new, from the manufacturer!

So, do I have a right to tell it like it is. I would like to think so. I view all this with an extreme amount of skepticism. They've gone out of their way to earn my contempt.

That's probably why I am so ticked off about how 'SONY Style' stores do not present the higher-end lenses. I got "burned" through buying mail-order with a brand new 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM lens. It didn't work right out of the "sealed" box and ruined an event that was important to me, because I could not get it replaced.

Now, it's different, but back then ... it traumatized my appreciation of "new" product. Every lens I buy, now, I have to test and examine for focusing and aperture flaws. I cannot trust it to work as designed. You may think this a paranoid issue, but that does not mean the 50% return rate I have enjoyed, over the past two years, did not happen.

So ... I may be painting with a broad brush, but I am not buying any more high-end SONY lenses without having mounted them first. They cost way too much for this kind of crap.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

every bad lens i have ever got was from a shop....lol

i have bought over 30 on ebay and only one was bad...but the big dent in the box was the likely problem..

i buy and sell al kinds of lenses i find at g sales ect...if they are junk i don't get them to sell...most of the lenses i sell look like they spent most of their life in the closet...

you certainly have alot of issues with your gear. in the digital age i've only ever had one "repair" to speak of which is when i dropped my d300 and 50/1.4 lens down a flight of about 20 stairs at home. it knocked a hole in the wall and my cam/ lens needed a recaibration but other than that...nada. have bought and sold heaps of gear on ebay, never had a single problem.

perhaps i'm just lucky...or you are VERY unlucky.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you certainly have alot of issues with your gear. in the digital age i've only ever had one "repair" to speak of which is when i dropped my d300 and 50/1.4 lens down a flight of about 20 stairs at home. it knocked a hole in the wall and my cam/ lens needed a recaibration but other than that...nada. have bought and sold heaps of gear on ebay, never had a single problem.

perhaps i'm just lucky...or you are VERY unlucky.
    OH my Rooz! That's insane. I can just see your face as each stair thump resonates. I can't imagine........
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i watched it from the top of the stairs as it tumbled down. then smashed against the landing wall knocking a whole in it before turning a corner and going down another 3 steps before it stopped on the tile floor at the bottom. when it happened i didnt go down right away cos i was sure it was smashed to bits, i just felt like vomiting.

lucky i had a small lens on, if it were something bigger and heavier then i thik the damage would have been extreme. as it was, there wasnt a single mark on it. i'd imagine if the stairs werent carpet and the wall wasnt gyprock then i could have kissed it goodbye though ! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i watched it from the top of the stairs as it tumbled down. then smashed against the landing wall knocking a whole in it before turning a corner and going down another 3 steps before it stopped on the tile floor at the bottom. when it happened i didnt go down right away cos i was sure it was smashed to bits, i just felt like vomiting.

lucky i had a small lens on, if it were something bigger and heavier then i thik the damage would have been extreme. as it was, there wasnt a single mark on it. i'd imagine if the stairs werent carpet and the wall wasnt gyprock then i could have kissed it goodbye though ! lol
    So how did you drop it?

Yeah, it would make it all the more worse if you had your 300mm F/4 and an SB-900 up top!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    So how did you drop it?

Yeah, it would make it all the more worse if you had your 300mm F/4 and an SB-900 up top!
    we have a toddler gate at the top of the stairs, i lowered the camera using the strap over the gate onto the first step. when i dropped the strap it caught the end of the lens and off she went. the only other time i've felt that sick was when a rock flung up at a football match i was shooting and it smashed the CPL on the front of my 70-200/2.8. (lens unmarked).

i seem to be too stupid to use common sense so i rely on near disasters before i learn my lessons. lol
    flickr