Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Dang cops

Dang cops

YOU WOULD THINK IT WAS PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE JUST TAKING PICTURES WHEN YOU HAVE A BIG EXPENSIVE CAMERA ON A BIG TRIPOD...AT NIGHT....

WE WERE TAKING SO CEMETARY SHOTS AT MIDNIGHT...SURE ENOUGH A COP PULLS UP AND ASKS WHY WE ARE DOING ...HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEXT DUMB QUESTION COMES OUT OF HIS MOUTH...WHY ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES AT NIGHT....HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOO..ITS A NIGHT PICTURE!!!!

WE WERE ON THE SIDEWALK TO TRESSPASSING WASN'T AN ISSUE..THEN HE ASKED ME FOR ID..I REFUSED TO GIVE HIM ANY..NON OF HIS BUSINESS....HE RATTLED OFF A BUNCH OF CRAP TO WHICH I TOTALLY IGNORED HIM TILL HE FINALLY GAVE UP AND WENT AWAY....COPS

NEEDLESS TO SAY WITH ALL HIS YAPPING, HE SCARED AWAY THE SPIRIT I WAS SHOOTING

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a.../CEMETARY1.jpg

Last edited by SONYNUT; 07-25-2009 at 02:04 AM.

I had the same thing happen to me three times. Twice on the same road. There were houses on one side of the road and the other had woods so I was looking for birds to shoot along the woods. They stopped me and said somebody called them. The other time I was taking a picture of an osprey on a pole near the Power Plant and they came over and checked my camera to make sure I wasn't taking any pictures of the plant.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

I was photographing a small rural courthouse in northern California in the late afternoon.

Name:  0807030174W.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  427.4 KB

The officers manning the entrance asked what I was doing and for my ID ... "You know we have to be very carefull after 9/11, Homeland Security and all." They checked to verify my story that I was a lawyer photographing courthouses.

But for me it worked out very well. While chatting with them, I asked if the courtoom was open and if photograph it. There are very very few courthouses that will allow cameras in the courtrooms. After chatting with them for a while, they ended up opening up the courtroom, letting me photograph for about a 1/2 hour and giving me a tour of the place. Not bad for about 15 minutes of initial hassle.

Name:  0807030182W.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  391.5 KB
    Name:  0807030183W.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  499.2 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

So ... next stop is Langley, right?

Name:  cia langley.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  65.6 KB

You just walk right in, waving your A900 and they should greet you with open arms ... and a nice pair of shiny bracelets.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    So ... next stop is Langley, right?

Name:  cia langley.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  65.6 KB

You just walk right in, waving your A900 and they should greet you with open arms ... and a nice pair of shiny bracelets.
    Well, that certainly is one way of getting photos inside , although I suspect you would have a really tough time getting those photos out.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Red face Just like waltzing into the "Devil's Lair"

If your electronic camera would even work. I suspect your CF card would be pretty screwed up, as you left. There are non-invasive ways to disable the electronic memory.

So, even if you decided to use your good ol' 35mm SLR camera, there are "film-foggers" that are in use, much like the x-ray scanners in the airports, unless you are smart enough to use a lead-lined camera ... but, that would be a weight-issue penalty for your neck like you have never seen.

Nah, it may sound like Sci-Fi ... but, not much escapes from Langley, VA. They have had sufficient time to "prepare" for your arrival.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-25-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It is a strange time we live in these days, but not as restrictive as in some other contries, U.K. has much more restrictive rules on 'public' photography. Many people tend to be more aware / suspicious/paranoid then ever before, so many 'concerned citizen' calls come in to police dispatch. if don't check it out and something happens, things go bad. people call and don't see the cops 'do something' they complain. lots of no win situations there. People mindingb there own business, and with in their rights feel annoyed, harrassed, etc. they complain. How did the cop or the caller know you weren't going to photo your buddies trashing the tombstones if he don't check. Maybe explain what your doing how and why, maybe the cop would be into it. Attitude and ego on both sides can go a long way into having a minor encounter thats ends well for everyone, or turns into something going bad, and maybe expensive in the long run.
    Also by the way in the State of Ohio Terry stops, which are from the case law Ohio Vs. Terry, support that a law enforcement officer acting upon REASONABLE grounds who has direct interaction with a person while in performance of offical duties can require subjects to identify themselves. It is ALMOST never worth it for the officer to push it to the point of citation or arrest. Anyway just another viewpoint, any pics of the cemetary?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/