Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

right digital camera for jewelry pciture

i am looking for a digital camera, pocket size, i can bring with me with my notebook computer, battery need to be lithium rechargeable, not those disposable alkaline batteries, that will burn in 20 - 30 mins for a few dollars a pack of 4, and the rechargeable alkaline battery and after a while it does not hold up enough capacity for the digital camera for working probably.

i am looking for the range of $200 +- range.

i am checking on cannon sd1200 is, which is small, and rechargeble, and the only thing is it does not work without any memory card at all.

i want a good and clear picture that customer can see them clearly and buy from the internet. i am not a professional photo shotter, so i need some help in finding a easy and simple camera that make my taking pictures job easier.

thanks

1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy alkaline rechargerable batteries. They may be cheap, but they are garbage. A good set of NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) AA batteries and a charger (less than $20 at Wal-Mart for Rayovac Hybrids) will provide you with at least as many shots as a battery with a proprietary lithium-ion battery in the price range you're looking at.

2. If you're carrying around a notebook already, why limit yourself to ultra-compacts?

3. If you want good enough pictures of jewelry that you can put online for customers to buy from, you must learn how to use manual controls. A camera's brain is simply not "smart" enough to figure out how to take the pictures you want in macro mode, especially with shiny items.

In short, what you want is a pipe dream. If you want reasonable quality pictures of merchandise you're either going to have to pay someone to do it, or learn how yourself. I pretty well guarantee you will be disappointed with the results otherwise.

All that aside, I'd suggest a Canon A590is or SX200is, both of which have excellent macro modes and full manual modes.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Yes, jekostas is quite right, and i recommend this Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera, it is the perfect travel/everyday camera.
    Last edited by gotocin; 08-24-2009 at 03:03 AM.

i do understand what you pay is what you get. i am no expert in pictures taking. for the money i spend i want the best fit camera for this purpose only. the rest are not important. as i need to take 1000 pictures in 3 months time, so hiring professional to do it is impossible and break my bank before i make any money from my website.

i check on the internet, cannon a590 is discounted as some website still sell it and circuit city before it is discount it sell $129 now, no more. the other website sell it $249 now.

out of the 3 digital camera recommend, i would like to know if i try and error and find all the setting required for my jewelry pictures taking, can i set these camera to repeat the setting what i have found and then take 100 pictures with the same setting in a day. like i set my setting to one specific one and then use that setting for all my jewelry pictures taking like a fixed macro setting of my own?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joycemok View Post
    out of the 3 digital camera recommend, i would like to know if i try and error and find all the setting required for my jewelry pictures taking, can i set these camera to repeat the setting what i have found and then take 100 pictures with the same setting in a day. like i set my setting to one specific one and then use that setting for all my jewelry pictures taking like a fixed macro setting of my own?

thanks
    If you choose a camera with a full manual mode like the A590is or SX110is, yes it will. Once you "dial in" the aperture and shutter speed settings, they stay that way until you change them or switch to a different mode on the camera.

If you choose a camera with only scene modes like the SD780is, the camera will judge the exposure settings for every shot, so every shot will come out looking distinctly different, based mostly on the colour and reflectivity of the item you're trying to shoot.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

In the grand scheme of things, the lighting and composition (background, tripod angle) will be more important than the camera. The cameras suggested here are fine for the job, work on getting your setup dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    ....tripod angle.....
    David mentioned tripod here... I hope you have one in use.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

i am going to get the smallest one which cost $7.99 from walmart.

thanks for all your input, i go ahead and order a cannon a590is from the internet because the price fit my budget more.