Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Summer Weekend Shoots

Well, this weekend is a lull between trips to the Northwoods, so ... I'm heading out to Utica, IL ... and "Starved Rock" State Park. Taking the T17-50, T28-75 and T70-200 and the troublesome SONY 50mm f/1.4 out for a "walkabout." I'm also going to pack the carbon-fiber tripod for some timed shots, because there may be water involved. Not forgeting the '56 flash, either, for fill, of course. Beautiful sunny day, lots of shadows, I expect.

The A100 w/ the T 18-250 will be packed, as a backup. It is my "reserve 'chute, in the truck. Also the S10-20mm f/4-5.6, S20mm f/1.8 and T14mm f/2.8 are coming along, also in the truck, separate sling, just in case I come across a vista shot. "You just never know."

As they say in the DCRP commercials on television: What's in your sling pack?

See ya, out there ... find something and shoot it!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-11-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You attaching a trailer to the Avalanche, you are going to need it with all that gear. Happy shooting. I cant wait see what you come back with.

Frank
    Last edited by sparkie1263; 07-11-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: missing a word
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I cant see what you come back with.

Frank
    Strained shoulders and a sore back!!! But, a small price to pay for the perfect shot.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Just curious, why add the extra weight of the T28-75/2.8 and T14mm? It really seems unneeded.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

The trip ... awareness of the obstacles

The T14mm f/2.8 was in the truck. I really want to get some time with it, but that was not today.

I got out there and started humping around the place and it's ALL hiking and walking. Man, where are you guys? I don't do that crap, anymore! Anyway, got to the top of "Starved Rock" ... not too much more than a lookout, with a collar around it. I took a few shots from the top ... and then headed off to see what else I could find of interest. The place, of course, where I really want to get into is "LaSalle Canyon" (see Red Star)

Name:  SRSP.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  477.3 KB

The orange "P" denotes were the parking is ... and you can see the alomst blue looking trail extending from the lot towards the river. Then you hike to the West, along the river and come back up the canyon's mouth. It is at least 45 minutes of downhill hiking and then whatever time you need to do your shot ... and then the obligatory one-hour climb back out.

Not today, guys! It was 3:30PM when I got to this point ... so, uh-uh. Not going to happen.

I admit, I was not ready for that part. I had no idea of the obstacles involved to get the shot. Now, this area is also accessible by boat ... or canoe, on the Illinois River. It may be a bit richer experience than just humping it down in there, and hey ... I like it. My knees are sore from all the climbing, already, without this part. You twenty-year-olds may enjoy this kind of athletic competition, but I just want good pictures and can spare myself the physical abuse. I have all the "advanced ranger" crap from my youth. God didn't give unlimited spare parts. So I go in measured allotments, these days. I tend to last a little longer that way.

Anyway, some images ... later.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Who says Illinois people can't laugh?

I was motoring down to "Starved Rock" on IL71, the "Stagecoach Road" and came across this damn thing, at one of the corners.

Name:  Crash-in-Illinois.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  206.1 KB

I figured you guys can appreciate the visual humor in this, when you certainly do not expect it.

flickr & Sdi

That's the sacrifice we have to make, Don. You got there at the perfect time: Enough time to hike down, set up and wait for the sun to provide the color. Then comes the hike back out in the dark. If you are still there check out Matthieson State Park, it's got quite a canyon with a long skinny waterfall if I remember correctly. If I remember correctly the hikes in the park are all relatively flat and there are quite a few cool sandstone canyons to explore. The old Starved Rock Lodge is quite photogenic too.
    Last edited by TenD; 07-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Red face HDRs ... to get some detail ... may need a second run

Thanks, Jim ... yeah, sacrifice ... right ... "Starved Rock" .. death and perishing ... got it. LOL

Anyway, here are a couple shots worth a look ... from up there. I will be going back, with a better attack plan. You guys sacrifice ... this is supposed to be fun.

From top of "Starved Rock", looking West
    Name:  Top-of-Starved-Rock---looking-West_HDR2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  342.7 KB
    A700 w/ T17-50mm f/2.8
    @ 17mm - f/5.6 - 1/400 sec - ISO-200 - Spot Focus - Spot Meter - M - HDR +/- 2Ev

From top of "Starved Rock", looking East ("Lover's Leap" on right side)
    Name:  Top-of-Starved-Rock---looking-East_HDR2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  382.1 KB
    A700 w/ T17-50mm f/2.8
    @ 17mm - f/4.5 - 1/1250 sec - ISO-200 - Spot Focus - Spot Meter - M - HDR +/- 2Ev

"Lover's Leap" from "Starved Rock" Lookout
    Name:  Lover's-Leap-Overlook-from-Starved-Rock.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  486.1 KB
    A700 w/ T70-200mm f/2.8
    @ 200mm - f/5.6 - 1/250 sec - ISO-400 - Spot Focus - Spot Meter - M - HDR +/- 2Ev

That's a pretty good comparison to show you the difference between a 17mm shot and a 200mm one. Unfortunately, they never look the same or as sharp when done with a 18-200 (250) all-in-one lens. Also, bear in mind, these are HDRs.

Not too happy with direct sun exposure ... in HDR?

Well, then ... let's change the mood a little ... with sliders!

Name:  Ugliness-out-west.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  345.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-11-2009 at 08:39 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Surprise pics ...

One of the neater things about this place, is that the wildlife is so close by, it gets a little nuts. As I was walking back to the truck, a pair of BAMBIs were just milling about, eating. I only had the 17-50mm mounted, so I scoped to 50mm and took it. They were moving along pretty quick.

Name:  Bambis-at-50mm.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  416.9 KB

100% crop
    Name:  bambis-100-percent-crop.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  323.8 KB

100% crop
    Name:  bambis2-100-percent-crop.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  414.4 KB

Later on, as I was driving along looking for the parking area I mapped, earlier, I came up on another couple of BAMBIs and their mother. They were actually chasing her about, still suckling on the side of the highway. I slowed down, because it was kind of a blind curve at that point of IL71 and kind of urged them back up the hillside, with the truck, because there was traffic coming up behind me. I have to admit, never seen that before, driving along. It's that time of year.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-11-2009 at 08:22 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Well, this weekend ... back to the Northwoods. Maybe, this time, to get the "eagle" shots. Kind of depends on:

1) The flippin Eagle
    2) The marine support I get to mount an assault
    3) the weather ... which actually looks promising, this time.

How about you dudes ... what you seeing through your viewfinders?

flickr & Sdi