Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rooz and SpecialK are right. The Yashica absolutely schools the A900 in detail, contrast and colour. Look at the detail in the trees in the background and the textures on the rocks in foreground - absolutely no comparison.

I have a feeling that your lens may be the culprit.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

and there's me saving up for an A900!!

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Rooz and SpecialK are right. The Yashica absolutely schools the A900 in detail, contrast and colour. Look at the detail in the trees in the background and the textures on the rocks in foreground - absolutely no comparison.

I have a feeling that your lens may be the culprit.
    I'm curious to know why you think the lens might be the culprit? Would it not be more a factor of dynamic range?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    and there's me saving up for an A900!!
    Not to add insult, I inherited the YashikaMat, so the price was $0. The YashikaMat TLR is now 60+ years old, purchased in Japan by my father-in-law when he was stationed in the Navy, circumnavigated the globe including various ports of call, and then spent about 30 years tucked away in a closet. Since I've been using it this past 6 months or so, I've only had one occasion where there was a malfunction - the film didn't fully advance ... capped the lens, released the shutter, problem solved and the earlier shot turned out fine as did the subsequent shots.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I am not sure I'm going to jump in with both feet and say it's the lens, but it certainly could be a contributing factor.
    A direct comparison in nearly impossible in this case, especially if you are shooting negative film. If there is a photo lab and printing going on, then there is post processing going on. You are a slave to the labs vision(which in this case appears to be a good one, although a little teeny bit too contrasty for my tastes). A direct scan of the negative or shooting positive film would yield a fairer comparison.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    I am not sure I'm going to jump in with both feet and say it's the lens, but it certainly could be a contributing factor.
    A direct comparison in nearly impossible in this case, especially if you are shooting negative film. If there is a photo lab and printing going on, then there is post processing going on. You are a slave to the labs vision(which in this case appears to be a good one, although a little teeny bit too contrasty for my tastes). A direct scan of the negative or shooting positive film would yield a fairer comparison.
    The film was processed at A&I in Hollywood. I believe they digitally scan the negatives.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Did they send it SOOC?

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    The film was processed at A&I in Hollywood. I believe they digitally scan the negatives.
    Then I guess my question is whether they sent the file SOOC or they processed it?
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I'm curious to know why you think the lens might be the culprit? Would it not be more a factor of dynamic range?.
    The reason that I say the lens is that the three really big differences between the two - colour, contrast and sharpness, can often be tied to optical shortfalls.

For example, the A900 should have the resolution to easily bring out the detail in the foreground rocks that you're getting out of the TLR, but it's not.

My opinion, of course, I don't have data to back up this claim but that's the feeling I get when seeing web resized sample pictures.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Now, I suppose where one big difference in the image quality is the film's ordinary 12 step range vs. the average digital 4 step range. It would be interesting to compare a film shot with an identical scene shot going digital HDR.
    not quite sure what numbers you are talking about here but the a900 can hit around 12 stops of DR. most dSLR's hit around there. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor

its the colour, contrast and detail thats missing. as already mentioned, i suspect the lens, (tammie at 70mm), has something to do with it.

on another matter, given you got the yashica for nothing and seeing that "pop" in the image you just posted, i'd say it was the bargain of the century. would love to see some more shots out of that thing.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz, thanks for your kind words.

I've shot APS-C in the past and FF now with the A900.

You did correctly note a significant difference in the images. And, you helped me realize I chose a version of the A900 shot where I was really experimenting with the color tempurature settings.

So, here's an alternate comparison:

Attachment 51737
    A900, daylight White Balance.

Attachment 51738
    YashikaMat cropped to match, sized to match

Attachment 51739
    A900, daylight WB; PP w/ 10% increase in shadow and 25% increase in midtone contrast

Now, I suppose where one big difference in the image quality is the film's ordinary 12 step range vs. the average digital 4 step range. It would be interesting to compare a film shot with an identical scene shot going digital HDR.

who is to say what is better...different systems...the only thing to remember is unless your resolution is over 16 mp you are less film...the a900 is beyond film..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    who is to say what is better...different systems...
    i dare anyone to say the a900 image is better.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr