Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

need to take close up pics of coins, which camera?

Hi,
    I know next to nothing about digital cameras so I thought I would ask the experts. I need to take a lot of close up detailed pictures of coins and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on a camera or type of camera to purchase? I have a digital camera a 6 mp very offbrand one, it works fine for general pictures, kids etc. but I can not get a good close up one of a coin with it, they come out very blurred, out of focus and these need to be very sharp to see the coin faces clearly. Do I need an optical zoom? How much of one? My camera has none. I don't need the pictures to be very large 5x7 at the most so I am looking at a 3 or so megapixel, which is in my budget. If anyone could help explain what it is I need to take a good sharp clear very close picture that would be very helpful. I am looking at some of the older olympus, Kodak and HP models in the 3mp class and they seem to look pretty good. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks very much.
    Adam

Canon Powershots take good closeups and don't cost all that much.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

You need a camera with good macro mode, but most modern cameras have good macro. Then you need a small tripod and some good lighting.