Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Please help

Please help

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a camera and hopefully I will be able to get some help, since I'm completely at lost with all the choices out there!

My main objective is to get a camera that is able to snapshot a page in a book clear enough so that I can see the words. I would then upload that snapshot into my computer and save it there. I want the picture to be clear enough so that I can actually read the words without squinting. I do not really care about bulkiness of camera or anything like that, clarity is the most important thing here. Like everyone else I want something that is low price, as I really am on a budget. As of now, I am currently looking at the Kodak Easyshare Z1485, which has 14 megapixel, or the Kodak Easyshare Z1285, which has 12 megapixel. These cameras both run for less than $150.00, and seem to have a pretty high megapixel compared to the other cameras around their price. Do you think 12-14 megapixels is enough to capture the words of a book clearly enough for me to read?

You don't need anywhere near 12-14 MP to achieve what you want. What's more important than the camera is how you set up the camera and the lighting. A flatbed scanner will be much better at this task; is there any reason you want to do this with a camera?

Oh I know a scanner can work for this as well, but I was goin to buy a new camera anyways, and hitting two birds with one stone is wht I'm after, though taking a picture of a page and getting the words is what I want the most. I like the mobility of the camera.
    Last edited by ahappycamper; 06-25-2009 at 10:40 PM.

My wifes 7 year old 2MP Panasonic Lumix would do what you want. The issue is not the camera, any camera on the market today will work the issue is getting the page of the book completely flat, making sure the angle of the camera lens is perfectly aligned with the page and having even lighting that means you will not need a flash. Generally when this sort of thing is done properly it's done using dedicated camera and page holders that keep everything in alignment.
    The answer here is to go and buy whatever camera suits your budget then spend the time and effort perfecting a technique that will work for you.