Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Color Management

So I finally got a colorimeter, X-Rite EZ Color with eye one display 2 for my monitors, scanner, and printer.

Now I have profiled my monitor on my desktop and "calibrated it." It's running Windows Vista x64. For some reason in firefox (when color management is enabled), windows photo gallery, photoshop, and lightroom, which are all "color managed," my color is way off. It's washed out and looks bad. In firefox, if I turn off color management, the color comes back and it is not washed out/desaturated.

In this picture you can see what I mean. The thumbnails do not match what shows up in windows photo gallery.

On my laptop (XP), everything is profiled and everything looks consistently good.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I ran into similar problems with my 64-bit Vista. I finally gave up on my color calibration and just went with the standard settings. Still, some programs (such as Firefox and Paint Shop Pro) show up with colors that seem normal, and others show up extra warm. In particular, NX is one of the programs that shows up extra warm. If I make a tiny change to the photo in NX (like taking off the auto-noise reduction,) then click Revert, it gets doubly warm. Then if I click Undo, it goes to the same non-warm colors that I get in other programs. Weird, kind of a pain, but I just decided to live with it rather than continue the headache. I hope you have better luck --
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    I ran into similar problems with my 64-bit Vista. I finally gave up on my color calibration and just went with the standard settings. Still, some programs (such as Firefox and Paint Shop Pro) show up with colors that seem normal, and others show up extra warm. In particular, NX is one of the programs that shows up extra warm. If I make a tiny change to the photo in NX (like taking off the auto-noise reduction,) then click Revert, it gets doubly warm. Then if I click Undo, it goes to the same non-warm colors that I get in other programs. Weird, kind of a pain, but I just decided to live with it rather than continue the headache. I hope you have better luck --
    Nooooo, lol... it's been driving me crazy, trying to get accurate colors, and getting a colorimeter has not helped.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Ok, send it to me!

No matter what it changes at the printers..lol

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    No matter what it changes at the printers..lol
    not if all three (monitor, scanner, printer) are calibrated the same.
    flickr

Printer calibration has been an uphill fight for me, even with this EPSON 3800, but then again, I limited myself to the lesser grade management X-Rite system (cheap SOB that I am). I have seen it work, though, at school ... because the school popped for the next level system. Their unit even calibrates projection monitors
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Printer calibration has been an uphill fight for me, even with this EPSON 3800, but then again, I limited myself to the lesser grade management X-Rite system (cheap SOB that I am). I have seen it work, though, at school ... because the school popped for the next level system. Their unit even calibrates projection monitors
    Don, any thoughts to the inconsistent colors on my vista machine? Although I'm not even sure what OS you use and if you don't know, I doubt I will find any answers here lol.
    flickr

Lightbulb Color my thoughts ...

I use Windows XP. Name:  logo_windows.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  2.4 KB

We kept all our business computers at that level, refusing to integrate Windows Vista into our environment.

It just has been simpler to use than braving Vista and all its wonderful ... uh, drawbacks. I did, once, take a walk on the wild side with my home system, with Windows XP 64 ... but, that was a bust, as half the peripherals wouldn't talk to it, so I built a new computer and dropped back to the reliable standard XP 32-bit and have happily plowed ahead with very little to complain about.

I guess WIndows 95 was a similar experience, as they build in the peripherals a floating interface that would virtually attach peripherals ... but they had to be Windows 95 peripherals. When Windows 95 support went away ... so did all those peripherals. I instantly lost compatibility with CD players, audio cards ... crap, the computer was just about dead! Yes ... the wonders of advancing technology -> instant obsolescence. I still have all that "working" hardware (2 sets of it) in a box somewhere. A true waste of working cash. Maybe this year I will just heave it all.

As far as the difference in what you are getting out ... my first guess would be colorspace. I would make sure that you are not using AdobeRGB as a colorspace, because when viewed through a sRGB viewer, like Mozilla ... sRGB viewers tend to wash everything out, because there has been a change in colorspace without correction. In other words, it is interpreted poorly.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-12-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I use Windows XP. Name:  logo_windows.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  2.4 KB

We kept all our business computers at that level, refusing to integrate Windows Vista into our environment.

It just has been simpler to use than braving Vista and all its wonderful ... uh, drawbacks. I did, once, take a walk on the wild side with my home system, with Windows XP 64 ... but, that was a bust, as half the peripherals wouldn't talk to it, so I built a new computer and dropped back to the reliable standard XP 32-bit and have happily plowed ahead with very little to complain about.

I guess WIndows 95 was a similar experience, as they build in the peripherals a floating interface that would virtually attach peripherals ... but they had to be Windows 95 peripherals. When Windows 95 support went away ... so did all those peripherals. I instantly lost compatibility with CD players, audio cards ... crap, the computer was just about dead! Yes ... the wonders of advancing technology -> instant obsolescence. I still have all that "working" hardware (2 sets of it) in a box somewhere. A true waste of working cash. Maybe this year I will just heave it all.

As far as the difference in what you are getting out ... my first guess would be colorspace. I would make sure that you are not using AdobeRGB as a colorspace, because when viewed through a sRGB viewer, like Mozilla ... sRGB viewers tends to wash everything out, because there has been a change in colorspace without correction. In other words, it is interpreted poorly.
    Everything I export is through sRGB, I made sure of that. But that sounds like it might be helpful, just not too sure. I'm really lost right now.
    flickr