Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June Gloom

Don,

That sure as heck beats the monolithic grey/white. I guess its time to start learning more about using PS and its functions.

Your response reminded me of a magazine on composition and the photographer had taken a picture of buildings in Venice and the sky was rather mundane. Some time later he had taken a photo of dramatic storm cloud filled sky. He merged the two and voila, a much improved image.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Question The sky's the limit? Or is it?

No ... I just have fun with Photoshop, from time to time ... and making the image work a little better. It is hard pulling up a decent sky when there is literally nothing to see. So what I do, in my off hours is capture a few uncluttered backgrounds and "merge" or overwrite them to replace that useless looking sky.

Hey, you are not publishing this, so what the heck, right? It's your image ... make it sing.

Darin, this was a tremendous storm cloud I caught over the local college campus. It looked like the sky was going insane ... probably all sort of tornadic activity up there ... but, all it did was bust out raining.

I used the same cloud pattern, resized, with this image:

Name:  Thor-God-of-Thunder.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  168.3 KB

"Nay to thee, I say, mortal! You and I have a date ... in Vahalla!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-11-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That is quite cool Don. It reminds me that sometimes a picture is about conveying a mood, not portraying reality. Probably because you used a plastic figurine, but whatever. Storms carry moods, and I hope I'll be reasonably good at capturing them some day.

LOL a good day to die eh!! On to Vahalla in the arms of the valkyries! The mead will flow like blood tonight........er ummmm o.k. sorry about that back now, sometimes that just happens. Check out some of the storm chaser / tornado chaser / cloud groups on flickr for some really cool images. More fun to chase your own but then got to keep the gear dry.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Thanks so far to everyone for their suggestions and ideas.

I have to say, Don, those are some very dramatic clouds. In all my years, I've never seen such clouds here in So. Cal.

Today, it's revenge of the Oregonians. Cloudy, wet, and drizzly.

So, when we finally see the sun ... or if I see dramatic clouds ... I will photograph for stock sky scenes to merge out the monolithic uninspiring grey.

As a friend of mine said, photography is a form of art ... it's not necessarily a documentary of things as they are, but as the mind behind the camera envisions them.

On a more practical level, my friend put it bluntly ... "Those professional photos you see today are almost certainly PSed in some way or another to make them pop!" You can't always be in the right place at the right time to capture the perfect image.

Or to quote a great member of this forum ... "If life gives you lemons ... make lemonade."
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post

As a friend of mine said, photography is a form of art ... it's not necessarily a documentary of things as they are, but as the mind behind the camera envisions them.

On a more practical level, my friend put it bluntly ... "Those professional photos you see today are almost certainly PSed in some way or another to make them pop!" You can't always be in the right place at the right time to capture the perfect image.

Or to quote a great member of this forum ... "If life gives you lemons ... make lemonade."
    If life gives you lemons, you stand up and loudly demand to speak to the chef

Anyways, agreed that images are most always manipulated for some purpose or the other. The only thing I find somewhat borderline is amplifying the colours of a natural scene, to produce a 'deep azure ocean' or 'sparkling jade foliage'- because it isn't obvious manipulation like sharpness enhancement or blurring certain elements, but rather to exaggerate something nature's good at. It sort of cheapens those bright colors where they exist for real.

I guess I'm pretty alone with that notion though - 'zing' is king. From time to time for me too.
    Last edited by Bup; 06-13-2009 at 02:57 PM.

LOL ... slurp ... ahhh! Good ol' Lemonade!

I once caught a guy posting an image of the same exact plane that I had taken at an event. It was of an F-22 ... and his had this elaborate and dramatic cloud formation behind it ... like you might see in the mountains of Colorado or something. While mine had a sky that was nothing like it. My sky was rather vague and wispy, so I called him on it ... and he subsequently pulled the image when a few member called him on it.

It was kind of funny, but he actually was trying to pass it off as this "incredible" shot he had taken. Yeah, right. Remember that reality counts for something and you should declare a "composite shot" if you are going to show it publicly ... because, there always seems to be some joker out there that knows the truth!

This is my "composite", during my Canon DSLR days ... that got some attention over recent years ...

Canon EOS 20D w/ TAMRON SP AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD - Handheld
    @ 11mm - f/5.6 - 1/250sec. - ISO-100 - Manual - WB: Daylight

All the images were taken in the same place ... but, at seriously different times. The results are dramatically different, but fun to look at. In fact, I had several fireballs to choose from ...

Name:  IMG_7906-reduced.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  290.6 KB

but, I wanted something that appeared to have been taken in a hurry and an unplanned surprise ... to add to the mystique.

If you are even a tad bit creative ... you have the possibility of turning rather mundane photos into intense-looking works of ... art? (shrug)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sun .... finally!

After three weeks or so of marine layer and drizzle ... the clouds just parted and the sun is out!!! Of course, it comes out on the day when I will probably have to spend most of it indoors. Just my luck.

But it may prove time to start taking some of those sample sky filler shots.

Great composit by the way, Don.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I don't know ... I was able to pull the clouds up a bit ...

Attachment 46962

Must be the filter I used, eh?
    So Don, I took your advice. No June Gloom at the end of June. And in the past couple of days So Cal had some neet clouds. Nothing as dramatic as your's. But enough to make lemonade using one of my new filters:
    Name:  DSC04098BW.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  363.9 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

I think you should probably darken the building if you want to fool anyone.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr