Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is a flash a flash?

I'm in the market for a new flash. I'm looking for a swivel tilt head, and it would be cool if I could use it remotely. wireless of course is cool, but not really essential right now. I'm sure I've presented myself as a cheep sob in previous posts. I realize that for most equipment, spending the money to get the good stuff is well worth it. But as it is, I'm a college student trying to finish up and feed one too many hobbies. Anyways, I suppose I'm just wondering if I skimp on a flash and go for something that isn't top dollar, will I be kicking myself in a month or two?

I've been looking at
    Promaster FTD 7000M TTL flash and
    Minolta 5600 HS program flash

Or am I better served to just go ahead and grab something like the SONY HVL-F56AM?

I think you mean (need) the Sony HVL-F42. You can use this one in a group if you spring for an F58 later.

I would get a Sony HVL-F42AM too for the maximum compatibility and it seems to be in your budget.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool Shine that light!

Look, I do not mean to be difficult, but are people reading the recent postings on this forum? Because, call me "hinky" or whatever, but I am getting the distinct impression that it is NOT happening.

There is a "flash discussion" going on ... just read the text ... buy a SONY flash and be happy! Quit shopping around for third-party solutions unless you REALLY know what you are doing, because flash photography is touchy stuff ... believe it ... and the more you try to slip around the manufacturer's flash systems ... the harder you usually make it on yourself.

You are the photographer ... and if you are asking questions about third-party stuff ... you should not stray far from the path. SONY flash is "proprietary" ... and that usually means not many or much third-party support. Standard Hot Shoe flash units will not work with it unless you have an adapter of some type. Keep this in mind, because the newest +30 DSLRs are making it even worse.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-10-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thread right under this one you should look at which Don is referring to.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44343
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II