Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Okay, so I'm leaning towards waiting and saving up for the HVL-F58AM. I've been reading various reviews from those who have bought this unit and about the only complaint is that the mount is prone to breakage. However, I suspect the mount is probably the same on the similar Sony models and can't say if it's just that those who've experienced the problem are not careful with their equipment.

It'll probably be a couple of months before I make the final decision and buy, buy, buy.
    It's pretty sturdy on my A300. Never had any loose connections (I've heard complaints of that causing the flash to not fire). As for breakage, just don't drop your camera! That will definitely break the shoe mount and flash mount on the flash and camera respectively.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Legacy Flash???

Out of curiosity, we know that Minolta legacy lenses work on Sony Alpha cameras, but is the same true for Minolta flashes??? Inquiring minds are curious.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

The 5600 HD and 3600 HD are exactly the same as the SONY '56 and '36. So there are those.

The earlier flashes are rather questionable. The lack of the "D" designation really makes that question mark that only few can answer.

I kind of took a hiatus in photography from 1992-2003, due a lot to scouting and other avenues for my cash flow. Minolta was still going through some serious pitches and rolls with the hot shoe change and the idea of digital. I got the feeling just as I was about to come back and get the '7D ... they went belly-up, financially. I kind of missed (not really) all the silliness of that period.

So ... I dare leave that answer in the hands of Peter, perhaps.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The (in)famous iISO proprietary Minolta flash shoe was introduced in 1988.
    If the flash is older than that you need the Minolta FS-1100 adapter (I think these are still available third party). If the flash has an auto-flash sensor then auto-flash will work fine otherwise it's manual only.
    Something like a Minolta 3600HS(D) will have HS Synch, ADI Support and can be triggered remotely by your camera flash (wireless function). Someone in Connecticut is selling one for $20 on eBay.
    A 5400HS will have HS Synch and wireless function but no ADI. Still you can pick these up pretty cheap and really learn the basics of flash.

Peter:

Thanks for the info. There was a local camera show and some of the vendors had some of the Minolta flashes in really good shape and reasonably priced, but I wasn't sure if they would be compatible. They were the model numbers referenced by Don in his response.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???