Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red face On second thought ... I don't wanna think about it any more

Hey ... after living it ... I'm surprised it came out that civil. But hey, thanks for taking the time to read it. I'm not representing anyone but dear old and angry Don & friends.

Waste our time, will they ...

They have a perfect opportunity to hook a whole trough of new customers ...

Name:  pig-at-trough-1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  95.3 KB

and I certainly am not going to apologize for trying to find a way for other people to make money from this expansion in the market ... Geez Louise! It would be like apologizing to Tokina for suggesting they have an A-mount on their lens offerings ... so they could sell more. C'mon! They are not a "discount" house. You will pay fair or more-than-fair market (MSRP) value in their stores.

And 'Rooz' ... I have to tell you, if your seventeen-year-old students are cranking out prose at this level ... good for you. I would like to meet a few of them, because the ones I'm running into, in the States, worry me to no end. These college students are terribly inefficient and rather blatant about it, too. It really is scary. Anyway, if they want their criticism "sugar-coated", I'll send them along your way. I really don't have that kind of time and am annoyed I even have to address the issue at all.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Customer Service

Okay, so we're skewing of topic, but good for you Don. Take'em to task.

Here in So. Cal, with Ritz pretty much gone, the only close by brick and mortar shop is Sammys. They have a pretty good selection. When it comes to Sony, they carry a full line of SONY cameras and lenses. But, their in-store selection of Tamron and Sigma lenses for the Sony mount ... pretty much non-existant other than the Tamron 70-200mm (which I already have).

I would love to be able to actually "try on" and take several sample shots with lenses before purchasing and I'd be more likely to buy the lens from the store (even with the outrageous Cal. sales tax) because I think being able to try it on is a valuable service. But, alas if it's not there to try on, I might as well order it on line from a source that can have it delivered within a week.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    Here in So. Cal, with Ritz pretty much gone, the only close by brick and mortar shop is Sammys.
    Not sure if Cal's in Costa Mesa carries Sony (squat for Pentax)
    though you will pay through all orifices.

Also, there is "The Used Camera Store" I think they call it, on 18th and Newport Bl.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    Not sure if Cal's in Costa Mesa carries Sony (squat for Pentax)
    though you will pay through all orifices.

Also, there is "The Used Camera Store" I think they call it, on 18th and Newport Bl.
    I'll have to check it out next time I'm down in the OC visiting the parents. Thanks.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Oh, by the way ... this and that ... and not that

I spoke with the SONY Rep, today, concerning the problem with the local retailer and he took note of my objections. Hopefully, we will see a little more respect given the "3rd player" in the market.

We also spoke about the α230, which he has a copy of and was going to show off at the retailer's location, also. I told him I was not going make a trip downtown just to look over the new "intro" camera, but I appreciated his offer. Some things are worth more than others ...

I made mention of the α500 rumor and, surprisingly, he simply could not confirm it, but he did say that SONY was going ahead with the "α700-replacement" in the Fall. He would not go into detail, but said to "save your money for the change."

So ...there it is. Some "official" word on the upcoming upgrade. Still, I would have thought the α500 and α550 could have been confirmed after all the hub-bub. Weird.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    And 'Rooz' ... I have to tell you, if your seventeen-year-old students are cranking out prose at this level ... good for you. I would like to meet a few of them, because the ones I'm running into, in the States, worry me to no end. These college students are terribly inefficient and rather blatant about it, too. It really is scary. Anyway, if they want their criticism "sugar-coated", I'll send them along your way. I really don't have that kind of time and am annoyed I even have to address the issue at all.
    its not prose, its just a condescending, narrative diatribe. perhaps we just have different cultures, over here we like to get t the point without all that fluffy commentary. if that note hit my desk i'd be more inclined to have a laugh than take it seriously.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Cool Tolerant ideas ...

When your business revenues and money flow become "GM"-like, you can laugh all the way to the bank, too, for your bankruptcy filing, because you were too constrained to hear the voices of dissent.

We all have our way of dealing with issues. Some have a clinical, straight away approach ... others, well ... they kind of "get around to it" in their own way. Photography is much the same way ...there is a clinical, step by step method ... and then there is the free-style "click" of the shutter ... and the spectrum of light capture in between. Which one is right? Always ... in the eye of the beholder. The creative process grows in the mind ... and is executed through the body. Personally, it is that quality to allows me to enjoy this craft ... not some prescribed approach that 70-90% of the masses use that simply need more guidance than others.

Viva la difference ... not always the same cookie-cutter formal approach, hoping that the effect is just as potent. Listen and hear ... some people simply are not that blunt and still have a story to tell.

Join another side of a three-sided coin, I suppose.

flickr & Sdi

I am going to stick my neck out here at the risk of getting it chopped off.
    I am new to this forum and yes I own a Sony, I have just listed my A350 on Ebay and am awaiting delivery of an A700.
    Don, you and a few others I cant remember the names have looked at a few of my photos and given me some tips, for that I am grateful.You have also stated a new thread anwering a lot of questions for me.
    BUT as a new person stepping inside this forum I have read through threads to find a bit of how do I say it nastiness back and forward between members.
    Also this talk about a business not selling what is needed for a Sony mount, means nothing to someone on the other side of the world.
    The question is "What would it take to join in on the Sony DSLR forum"
    Keep any rivalry to private PMS where it belongs and talk about photography which is why we are here.
    I don't care if anyone has a Canon, Sony, Pentax or what ever I just want to learn all I can about taking a good photo. I am not interested in any tit for tat about who has what brand.
    Hows that for sticking your neck out ( you did ask)
    Sony A700
    Minolta: 50mm
    Sony: DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Zeiss lenses
    Sony: 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Sony: 18-70 F3.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Tamron: SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by mish13 View Post
    IAlso this talk about a business not selling what is needed for a Sony mount, means nothing to someone on the other side of the world. The question is "What would it take to join in on the Sony DSLR forum"
    Don is the one that posed the original question and he is also the one that went down the tangent of what business sells sony mount gear. i think don has every right to redirect the discussion in his own thread. lol

the issue he raises, (although i disagree with his approach), is actually very important. there has been more than one member leave the sony stable almost purely down to lens/ accessory availability. if sony want to be a viable large player to the enthusiast/ professional market, they need to get that stuff sorted. while on the surface of things this may seem irrelevant to you mish, its actually a key issue for sony.

perhaps, (assuming you stick with sony), when you search for accessories youself in the near future and find maybe 1 in 10 places selling what you want, you will appreciate his point.

as for the "nastiness". don and i do have alot of banter. i dont take it too seriously or personally and neither does don. thats what internet forums are for...debate.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    Don is the one that posed the original question and he is also the one that went down the tangent of what business sells sony mount gear. i think don has every right to redirect the discussion in his own thread. lol

the issue he raises, (although i disagree with his approach), is actually very important. there has been more than one member leave the sony stable almost purely down to lens/ accessory availability. if sony want to be a viable large player to the enthusiast/ professional market, they need to get that stuff sorted. while on the surface of things this may seem irrelevant to you mish, its actually a key issue for sony.

perhaps, (assuming you stick with sony), when you search for accessories youself in the near future and find maybe 1 in 10 places selling what you want, you will appreciate his point.

as for the "nastiness". don and i do have alot of banter. i dont take it too seriously or personally and neither does don. thats what internet forums are for...debate.
    Thanks Rooz for your quick reply and I do agree with some of the things you said.
    Yes Don is free to say what he wants on his own thread but I didnt see that lack of things for a Sony had to do with the original question that Don asked.
    Yes I will stick with Sony because it would be way to expensive to have to replace everything I have brought.
    The banter between you and Don, I dont know either of you and you dont know me but as an outsider I didnt know how to take it.And yes I do go on a number of forums and not all photography.
    So I guess I will just go and crawl back under that rock and keep quite.
    Sony A700
    Minolta: 50mm
    Sony: DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Zeiss lenses
    Sony: 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Sony: 18-70 F3.5-5.6 kit lenses
    Tamron: SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro