Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mish13 View Post
    TI didnt see that lack of things for a Sony had to do with the original question that Don asked.
    don loves to digress...its part of his charm. lmao
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb The use of the "forum" and what I would like to see out of it

Unfortunately, 'Mish13'

I probably miscued on the thread ... because what I was trying to show was how a GROUP could affect the way things work, if they get together and speak as a GROUP.

On this forum, I have, for the most part, tried to promote various ideas, new ideas and an exchange of ideas.

Instead of "hiding under a rock", I suggest we ALL get out there and make our relative dissatisfaction KNOWN to these retailers and force their hand.

Right now, Calumet Photography is talking big, but has very little to show for it, when it comes to real or significant SONY DSLR support. I admit, it can be a lot worse at other locations, but this particular retailer is one of the bigger ones ... so, as a customer, you tend to expect more out of them. They want market share and all I want is for them to share to "the market." All that is well and good, but the bottom line is:

This is our forum. It was started it back in 2006, when the first SONY DSLR was released. It is three years later and there are now or will be, in short order, 10-12 SONY DSLRs actively being sold or floating around in the market. Back in 2006, there was only one prototype .. and Moinolta had taken a pretty good thrashing in the press, when they were sold ... so, yeah ... it was understandable. Welcome to 2009! The paradigm is that we still are not a respected portion of the market. This has to change for all of this to become successful. It effects all the SONY DSLR users, young and old, and basically, I would like to see the board used as something more than a "pin up" session. I believe that it should be a respected voice that reflects the legitimate concerns, basic and advanced learning points and new concepts that we all can benefit from.

If you want just "pin up" activities, there are "Flickr"; "SmugMug"; "Photobucket"; "Facebook" and a number of other sites to name a few for that. There is no real concerted effort to use the rather minuscule chat areas and mini-forums for anything more than a "Oh hi ... I see you are a photographer too." gathering. I believe that DCRP provides this forum as more of a political site ... where the SONY DSLRs are our main interest and the improvement of it for our mutual benefit is our desired goal.

I believe it is in ALL of our best interest to get motivated and move the market forward and have it match this rather incredible selection of cameras we now have.

There has been a great deal of time devoted to writing, advising, experimenting and "shopping" that has gone into this, to make it a "resource" ... and my main thrust has been to "get the word out" and try and improve our lot in this pursuit. Personally, I think it has been very successful in many aspects of that pursuit. There still is much work to do, before we can relax and truly enjoy the fruits of all this effort. You could say, it is "evolving."

So, please understand that I would like to use the SONY DSLR forum as a focal point to motivate all our members to get better service and support not only out of SONY ... but all those who "say" they carry the SONY DSLR line. Let's hold them to it.

It's intent is not nasty ... it is just better business, warts and all.

BTW: Watch out for 'Rooz' ... he loves ani-mules.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-04-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking No More Lurking

Okay, I am officially a member and no longer a "Lurker".
    I just received my A200 this week and have been playing with it. I really suck now. I tried one of the most difficult feats by taking it to my daughters 8th grade graduation...inside in the gym... poor lighting...Kit Lens...
    Maybe I need to be an outdoor snapshot person for a while. Wish me luck and thanks for all the knowledge that I have already gotten from this forum.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

Having fun, commiserating and griping

Quote Originally Posted by mish13 View Post
    Thanks Rooz for your quick reply and I do agree with some of the things you said. ... The banter between you and Don, I dont know either of you and you dont know me but as an outsider I didnt know how to take it.And yes I do go on a number of forums and not all photography.
    So I guess I will just go and crawl back under that rock and keep quite.
    Mish,

When I began lurking through the forum, I felt similar to the way you do now. And, I suppose it can be trepidating for a newby to join in the forum with some of the quips and jabs going back and forth. But don't "go and crawl back under that rock and keep quiet," speak up, make your voice heard, that's what makes this forum great, fun and enjoyable.

I've not been participating that long, but now that I've come to understand the quips and jabs are in good humor (and with a dash of brand loyalty competition and favoritism), it is actually quite interesting to watch it play out ... and to even join in. So, please do join in.

Besides, we seem to have a number of members on the other side of the world (relative to each other) and while those of us here in the US may have our own Sony supply issues, others in your neck of the woods may have similar issues. Unless we talk about such things, Sony won't know, suppliers won't know, members will continue to experience problems with supplies, nothing will change and Sony will continue to lag in third place as the "ABC" (read Almost Broadcasting Company) of camera manufacturers.

So, please do speak up. All voices are heard in this forum.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Lightbulb Then ... in the darkened gymnasium ... no pictures

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    Okay, I am officially a member and no longer a "Lurker".
    I just received my A200 this week and have been playing with it. I really suck now. I tried one of the most difficult feats by taking it to my daughters 8th grade graduation...inside in the gym... poor lighting...Kit Lens...
    Maybe I need to be an outdoor snapshot person for a while. Wish me luck and thanks for all the knowledge that I have already gotten from this forum.
    If you have been following recent (past couple of months) postings, you are aware that indoor photography (sans flash) is some of the most expensive there is to do. It is a struggle for the photographer, as well as his equipment, to meet those challenges ... and a darkened gymnasium ... well, the game is afoot.

It is difficult to say what would allow for a decent exposure under such circumstances ... and if you use a light meter ... it probably would offer a sad lighting solution.

Some silly thing like an aperture of f/1.4 at a shutter speed of 1-second using IS0-1600. I mean, that's a tough shot if anyone even thinks about moving (like reaching for a diploma) ... BLUR!

Depending on the distances involved ... even a trusty HVL-F58AM external flash is challenged beyond twenty-feet. Now there are flashes that can reach long distances, but SONY does not make them. They are third-party flashes and have "Guide Numbers" over 200 (<- Click this link & this one ->) Metz's handheld-nuclear blast! and required SCA Adapter for SONY HotShoe. I mean, when you pop one of these babies and even the guys up in the Space Station blink!

"Hey, did you see that?"
    Name:  nuclear_explosion.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  36.1 KB

Flash Photography has a life of its own ... so don't be too surprised at what you hear people try to achieve ... and the ways they do it.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Joe. I hope we can provide some guidance ... as you live and learn.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-04-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi