Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What would get you to join in on the SONY DSLR forum?

I have been watching the participation versus the reader level of the SONY DSLR Forum and I have to say, "it seems a little out of synchronization."

I believe that part of the magic of this particular forum is the camaraderie and mutual need to improve. We all start somewhere and build on it. Getting one of these little beasties in your hands is a doorway to capturing your world, as not only YOU see it, but as you would like others to view it, also.

The most distinctive point that I would like to make is that you, personally, consider doing it with a decent lens on the front of your DLSR. Basically because no matter how wonderful your camera body is ... it looks through that glass first. Buy a good lens, if you can afford it. It may be only one ... but, get a "good" one that you can count on.

There are a couple coming down the pike that seem to offer an affordable solution to APS-C sensor camera users. They are:

DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    DT 50mm f/1.8

If these lenses bear out ... you can get excellent images for less than 30 cups of high-priced mocha cappuccino. How's that for value?

Anyway, the bottom line is ... participate. Enjoy yourself and most of all, enjoy your hobby.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I find it funny that some people just don't participate in forums. When I used to hang out in the Slackware Linux forums and IRC where people would verbally stone you for the slightest inaccuracy it made sense, but here people are very friendly and understanding. There is so much to gain from having some of your own specific questions answered.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

For all those voyeurs, I say join and participate.

This is the first forum I've ever participated in and I've learned alot. Some of the discussions have given me ideas and concepts I had not thought of before. Ideas to take photography beyond simple snapping of pictures to creating works of photographic art. Add to that discussions about the technical aspects of photography that makes the concepts understandable. Not to mention a whole source of information on actual experiences of the positive and negative aspects of different lenses.

That's damn good, especially for the price - FREE!!!
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I agree! just putting in my two cents. Maybe have a "Meet _________" Thread with some info about them, might help?
    sony A300
    tamron 17-50 2.8
    Sony SAL 11-18
    Sony 35 1.8

My problem is finding the time.
    Sony A350
    Sony 18-250mm Lens
    Sony 50mm f1.4
    F42AM flash

i just moved last week so i have been uber busy with packing and unpacking!
    but now i have a backyard with some flowers........
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by millz View Post
    My problem is finding the time.
    Understandable. I spend too much time here! My wife is constantly telling me I spend too much time in the forums.

But at least you come in once in a while and add something. You aren't as much of a lurker. There are obviously people who never say anything.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Cool A request for customer fairness and support

Well, being a member of a group is useful, because constituencies give you legitimate power when you are taking someone to task. Take, for example, my contention with Calumet Photographic and their rather complacent and almost nonexistent support of "anything SONY." I find it quite troubling, as others might as well, basically forcing me to address the problem.

Here is my most recent letter (email to customer service) to them, requesting some serious attention be paid to this rather annoying issue, as they are one of the largest photographic supply retailers in the Chicago-area.

From your web page statement:

“Contact Us

At Calumet Photographic, we consider customer service our utmost priority. If you can't find the information you're looking for on our site, please contact us via email, phone or fax and we'll respond to you as soon as we can. For information regarding individual stores, including location, hours and phone numbers, please visit our stores page.”

Well, gentlemen, as a local customer I am contacting you. For the past five years, I am quite displeased with the level of product support that I am getting for the SONY DSLR line from Calumet Photographic. I figure five years of rather uninterested product support is more than LONG ENOUGH.

Hear me out on this, because it only makes sense when you consider the size of the area that is being serviced by your stores.

Generally, the 5-states area, around the Chicago has about 7-10 million people in it. It has two Calumet stores to choose from, in getting supplies and parts. Also, the online store.

The chances are since SONY is now supporting ten (10) DSLR models that a customer might need a lens or two for their camera(s) and that they might consider Calumet Photographic as the “source” for such a purchase. That is exactly what happened to me.

I called, a couple days ago, and spoke to your representative. I asked for a SIGMA 20mm f/1.8 DG EX RF lens or even a SIGMA 24mm f/1.8 DG EX MACRO lens with the SONY-mount and was told it would take three (3) weeks to get this rather routine PRIME lens for my camera. I know that I was NOT asking for anything exotic, because these lenses are routinely carried by Calumet for the Canon and Nikon camera line, as are many of the other SIGMA lenses available. They can even be found by searching the product data base online. But, ask for the SONY-mount and you are simply out of luck … for an unacceptable amount of time.

Even if a SONY-mount is carried, you cannot locate it, online, using your catalog search feature. I actually had to call the store directly to locate the particular lens I reference (SONY CZ 135mm f/1.8) in this case.

Personally, I do not believe it is asking too much for Calumet Photographic to have at least one lens of each type in your national system and available to the public. You probably spend more in paperwork than carrying one of these lenses in the system. I mean, most people are not interested waiting three weeks! I wound up going to B&H Video, in New York, to get the lens … which is delivered in 3-days with no shipping charge. In Illinois, I would have to spring not only for the gas to get to your establishment (if I were to do so), but I would also enjoy the state sales taxes at the counter. All this I would endure, if you would just support SONY DSLRs. Let’s face the fact that you simply lost a sale and look rather silly as a potential source for “anything SONY” to me and other photographers. Is that the plan?

In these times of reduced sales, I cannot believe that this is where you folks want to see yourselves, after all the money spent on promotional gigs, catalogs and other sales paraphernalia. Adding the cost of carrying these lenses, at least somewhere in your system, readily available to your customer or potential customer base would seem to be well worth the return in not only equipment, but other associated sales that can be made when the customer comes in for his SONY-mount lens (e.g., lens filters, lens cases, straps, bags, etc).

I know for a fact, that the SONY Style stores will not carry SIGMA, TAMRON or other third-party manufacturer’s lenses for the SONY DLSRs. These only exist in dedicated camera supply strores, which presents itself as a “golden opportunity” to get in there, with almost exclusive rights, and support these third-party sales while the SONY market is still growing and people are “looking” for a true source of their camera equipment. I suspect that if they recall that Calumet Photographic reliably had the product (the "first time" and "on time") and as “the photographer‘s choice” and “… where the pro’s go”, they will not funnel their potential business to either Adorama or B&H Video.

I guess what really drives me wild is that I would have to even mention such a marketing position to a store as large as you are. But then again, maybe you folks are making more money than you need with just Canon and Nikon support. If this is true, please let me know ... because I will not waste any more of my time returning to your store. You actually do the SONY DSLR customers a serious disservice by only carrying a limited representation of the SONY-brand and third-party product lines. Instead of endearing the SONY customer's return to your store, you have left them disappointed and dissatisfied with your support. They make the trip, across the states, arriving only to find a rather sorry (or token) level of SONY DSLR support and no one even interested in talking about it, at the counter, or even having a good response on the telephone.

To me, this is just a bad business plan and not very "professional." I would like an explanatory response concerning this issue and what I and my affiliates can EXPECT in the near future from Calumet Photographic, because frankly, I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS.

Please forward this request for information as far up the 'corporate ladder' as it needs to go to receive a responsible and reasonable explanation for these rather suspect decisions.

Thank you,
    Don Schap
    Photographer

Yes, the customers tell the retailers what they want ... it is their money. You want my repeat business? Earn it.

I will post the response, if I get one. I don't know ... I said "SONY" ... and as my email indicates, it is generally being ignored.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Don, that is a great letter! Be sure to post any follow-up from them. I looked at their store once right after I got my Sony, looking for lenses but they had nothing so I've never checked with them again. Thanks.

i would have stopped reading that letter after the first few words. if you're gonna write a complaint letter make it short, sharp, to the point and professional. that letter to me sounds like some 17year old know-it-all kid telling a longwinded story in an obnoxious way.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr