Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The closet will take care of the camera and other stuff, later.
    LMAO. Well stated, I wonder if that ends up being the case for about 70% of the people that buy SLRs.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Lightbulb One more time ...

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    LMAO. Well stated, I wonder if that ends up being the case for about 70% of the people that buy SLRs.
    I tend to compose on line ... and post before I have completely reread and touched-up.the effort. Take another look at post #20. I am pretty much finished with it, now.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i had no problems buying old glass. i had the Minolta 35-70 F4, Beercan and 50mm F1.7 a couple of Sigmas and a couple of Magnicons.
    only got the Beercan cause i wanted to own a piece of the legend. it was a good sharp lens but i barely used it and it was also fairly slow to focus since it did not have limiter.
    the 35-70mm and 50 F1.7 were sharp but later discovered they were both badly back-focusing.

then i got the Minolta 28-135mm lens and knew exactly what i was getting and the ebay seller guaranteed against any defects. i also knew it had a scratch on it's front element. it is a superb lens but if you shoot in the day, the sun has to be behind you or you get a nasty flare and also the MFD is pretty bad.

after getting the 28-135mm, i realized the Beercan could not even come close t match it. so i decided i needed a modern lens and bought the Sony 70-300mm G SSM and i love it dearly although i have not been able to use it much now that i have a new breathing toy :-)

i was also planning on getting the Sony 50mm F1.4 alongside with the G then decided against it and bought the Minolta 50mm F1.4 that Don offered me. pretty much the same lens optically just with a digital coating and ADI capabilities.

so basically what i learned from this is that the crappier your first few lenses are, the more you have doubts about the system as a whole or the body in specific.

if you buy a used lens, make sure the seller has some kind of guarantee against defects.

i also learned that bouncing flash makes a whole lot of difference in sharpness, colour and overall feel of the subject!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    BTW: Just to tackle the opinion differences and stances in this forum ... we are all pretty confident in each other's ability to render a damn good looking shot. People have spent a lot of hours pushing their respective cameras to the brink ... and even spending excessive amounts on improvements. What we all can take back for this experience is that you are going to get "honest" opinions. No one, I know of, has a sales agenda ... so it should purely be altruistic or, in other words, for "love of the game." When you ask .. if we know, you will get the experience. Personally, that sounds like a positively outstanding idea to me.

Remember: It is YOUR money and YOUR Photography at stake. Choose wisely.
    I think a lot of us enjoy this. It's fun to sit around and chat, and we all learn from it. The differences of opinion are one of the most important parts of learning. You have to cull together what you can get from other people, and then honestly, take a few leaps of faith. You will make a bad purchase at some point. But it helps a lot the next time around.

One problem for me was that when I started, I thought I wanted to get a camera that would be a step above a super-zoom. I wanted a little bit better image quality and low light capability, and thought the ability to control depth-of-field was handy. But that wasn't the case. I got my first taste and I was hooked. And now here I am, a few thousand dollars later.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr