Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nikon shows no commitment to the new Mac OS

Apple released a very inexpensive upgrade to it's operating system, named Snow Leopard a couple weeks ago. Developers have had access to release candidates for the OS for months. Unfortunately, not all of them have made efforts to get their software compatible - Nikon is one of these slackers.

I checked Nikon's support site and even emailed them, and their message was:

"Thank you for Contacting Nikon Support, Compatibility and support for Nikon software running on Macintosh 10.6 system is under review by the Nikon Quality department.

At this time we do not have any time table on when we will or if we will issue drivers and software support for this new system. We truly apologize for the any inconvenience that this may cause you."

What kind of BS is this? We pay a premium price for Nikon stuff, as well as the RAW editing software (Capture NX2). Why this attitude?

Most Mac users will upgrade to the new OS - it's inexpensive, faster, and apparently gives users more hard drive space. So, how does this arrogant stance benefit Nikon?

For me, I'll have to either wait on upgrading my OS, or completely move away from using Nikon Software (which I'd just started to learn).
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

From the reply Nikon gave you, I dont see any "attitude" or "arrogant stance" that you mention.

These type of things happen quite often when a new OS is released. Things take time.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

This isn't arrogant?!

"At this time we do not have any time table on when we will or if we will issue drivers and software support for this new system."

IF? That's ridiculous.

Most developers would say, "We are committed to the platform and working on fixes, but we cannot yet give you a timetable for their completion."

To say support for the new OS is in the 'review process' without providing any real assurance is not an acceptable response.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Nikon D90 | Nikkor 18-105VR | AF Nikkor 50 f/1.4D | AF Micro Nikkor 105 | AF Nikkor 20 f/2.8D | AF Nikkor 70-300VR |
    Canon IXY 810IS | Canon UW Housing

My Picasa Site

90% of their market is on PCs (just making up that number, but it may be close to accurate). Investing in another release for the Mac OS maybe isn't in the cards right away, if at all. It's simple business. They may have scheduled a review of their existing software on Mac to see if it's economically feasible to make the necessary changes for another release. In customer support it's important not to commit to something even if you think the likelihood is that you'll do so. If you have to renege on the promise that's worse than starting at "No" and later saying "Yes".

I can understand that you want Nikon to release on Mac OS, but they have to evaluate the economics of situation. Certainly let them know that this is a major obstacle to you, and may force you to leave Nikon for another camera maker that supports Mac OS. This is the kind of information that would cause them to decide to release their software on Mac OS.

But it's not arrogant at all. Nor is it taking an attitude. They're telling you the reality of the situation, which is what you want from Customer Service.

I agree with David's assessment, and I note:

Mac OS X commanded 9.93% of the operating system market in January 09, reports Net Applications, 2 Feb 09 which bases its figures on the operating system used to access the Internet.
    It's the old 'supply and demand' equation at work here I'm afraid.

Cheers.

The thing about problems is, you can't fix them until they crop up. Give them some time. I'm sure they'll get around to it soon enough.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

No need for me to reply, the previous 3 posts said it all very well.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Nikon's stance on software upgrades is that they don't begin work until the OS is final, and, I suspect they determine final by released into the wild. It's just the way they roll.
    Eric Lund
    Nikon D200
    Nikkors: 17-55mm f2.8, 18-200mm f3.5-f4.5 VR, 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f2.8 AI-S micro, 105mm f2.8 VR micro
    Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 75-300mm f4-5.6 LD macro
    Stuff: Nikon SB800, Nikon MBD200, Gitzo 1327 Tripod w/RRS BH-55LR Ballhead, Sekonic L-358 meter

Since I work in a Mac shop, let me jump in. Snow Leopard is more than an upgrade, it's an overhaul, and in some cases, a complete change in some of the core services. It's an important upgrade, but not a vital one at this stage, since the amount of apps that will use any of this technology is rare. If you don't have 4gb or more of ram it's a bit pointless. Snow Leopard boots in 32 bit mode, just as 64 bit capable Leopard did and Tiger before that. Even if Nikon was ready, I can assure you, your screen calibration would not work. My screen calibration was deleted and it could not be recalibrated. X-Rite and Pantone are scrambling to catch up right now. Adobe CS4 is not 64 bit so there's no real gain there. Lightroom is, but you need 4gb and better or ram to really notice.

My advice to my pro clients was clone/backup and then proceed with caution and only if you have time to play. There has never been a clean dot zero release of anything. The tip off here was Quicktime. They changed it. Anything that evenly remotely touches QT is affected.

They don't call it bleeding edge for nothing...
    Last edited by Ken.; 09-19-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Don't get so frustrated by Nikon's response. Truth is, they are working on it (they had mentioned that a patch should be available within a month of Snow Leopard's release). As Ken said, the OS is a pretty major overhaul, so give Nikon some time, they ARE working on it.

Also, if you are having trouble with Snow Leopard and NX2, I'm guessing you are running ver 2.2.2? If so, downgrade to 2.2.0 and it should fix most of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken. View Post
    They don't call it bleeding edge for nothing...
    That's the truth!