Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Sons Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    The last family shot is nice! Looks like you got all your settings down! You really could use a HVL-F42AM!
    i concur...
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Goodness, Frank ... they are buying your gear for you.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Goodness, Frank ... they are buying your gear for you.
    Not like you haven't done that before.

Just helping you out!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face Flashing some knowledge

Ryan, he was using an HVL-F36AM ... believe me, I know!

I rather doubt the '42 would have done any better. They weren't swivel shots.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-18-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Oh lol, I could tell that the lighting looked better than the previous on-camera popup flash pictures, but the lighting was still harsh. I knew they weren't bounced (harsh shadows behind), so I just assumed it was from the popup. I think Elisha was thinking the same thing. Because a bounced flash gives a more natural look.

flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face Not a bad round for the first flash series

Aside from some shiny foreheads ... the rest of the images turned out well.

There are no dark shadows around the heads or bodies. A bit of clever post processing can make these reflective skin issues fade. Overall, the exposures were quite acceptable.

Also, since it was asked if FLASH were used ... I would say he snuck it in there pretty well! LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I rather doubt the '42 would have done any better. They weren't swivel shots.
    Aside from some shiny foreheads ... the rest of the images turned out well.

There are no dark shadows around the heads or bodies. A bit of clever post processing can make these reflective skin issues fade. Overall, the exposures were quite acceptable.

Also, since it was asked if FLASH were used ... I would say he snuck it in there pretty well! LOL
    Well it's definitely got that flash look. The flash does not seem to be bounced but pointed straight on, look closely (last two) there are dark shadows.
    flickr

Cool You've a sharp eye, Ryan

Okay ... the last two have the single source, dead-on look ... and that's where a diffuser might have been more help (my personal choice).

Tilting to the ceiling for a ceiling bounce can cause other effects (depending on the texture and height of ceiling, of course) and it's a case by case, but with a decent diffuser ... your shots are more uniform and controlled. To heck with the ceiling!

So, Frank ... they want "ceiling bounce" ... call up the folks ... get 'em dressed ... and hop to it ... otherwise, I suppose it is time to selectively mask those little trailing shadows and "clone" the goods. The "collective" has spoken.

Meanwhile ... practicing with a flash ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I did have it set for bounce flash. The ceilings were about 8 feet. I will post some more later.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank i think you may have been a little far away from the subjects or the flash was not powerful enough. either way it looks like the light was not spread wide enough.

here's a similar example of mine

approximately 7ft away:

approximately 9 ft away:

may have helped if i tilted the flash head about 10 degrees forward on the second shot!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR