Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    there will be an update to the a700 soon i imagine, its not that old. it came out the same time as the d300 which doesn't have a replacement either. the concerning thing is that usually new models signal a systems intention and direction, even if the are lower models. the fact that these newer models offer nothing new is a concern. one would have thought video and a better flip screen would have been staple inclusions.

case in point ? look at the pentax K7. they knocked it out of the park.
    K7 really looks like a real winner spec wise. If sony or nikon had one like it, it would be very popular just because of the larger community. I'm not too sure about their lens system though, even more sparse than Sony.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yeah, I think Pentax is even more niche than Sony. The K7 looks like a real winner for a prosumer camera, but I expect the D400 and 60D will be as good or better. The only thing Pentax really has going for them are the better quality crop lenses and the weathersealing. Both of those are because Pentax doesn't offer a higher camera. If the 40D was weathersealed like the 1D, or if the EF-S 17-55IS was built like an "L," Canon would lose sales of the 1D to pros.

I understand it seems unwise to buy an A700 when a replacement is coming, but in my opinion I don't see much besides the weathersealing that the K7 has over the A700 that I would care about. 2 more MP won't help, and I wouldn't use the video or live view much. I think the noise characteristics are similar.

I would however strongly consider Olympus. They have a bit of an oddball system, but it has some real benefits. They have really met the promise of crop sensors in a way Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony have not. They offer smaller bodies, smaller lenses, and f/2 zooms. I think the creative modes may seem gimmicky, but I could see myself using them. The more time I spend at the computer, the less time I have to spend shooting.

I had a conversation with a co-worker this morning about brand loyalty. Our development team here uses Red Hat Linux, but our sister team in Cambridge uses a lot of Debian and Ubuntu. He and I were talking about it being like the Ford vs. Chevy and Canon vs. Nikon stuff. An OS, a car, and a camera are tools. If you get a 300HP Mustang and a 300HP Camaro side by side, pick the one that fits your butt the best. Pick a Linux distro that gets out of your way and lets you get work done.

With cameras I think it is worthwhile to have an internal discussion over lenses, so find the brand that offers the lenses you need, and a control layout that fits in your workflow, and doesn't get in your way.
    Last edited by laydros; 05-21-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Yeah, I think Pentax is even more niche than Sony. The K7 looks like a real winner for a prosumer camera, but I expect the D400 and 60D will be as good or better. The only thing Pentax really has going for them are the better quality crop lenses and the weathersealing. Both of those are because Pentax doesn't offer a higher camera. If the 40D was weathersealed like the 1D, or if the EF-S 17-55IS was built like an "L," Canon would lose sales of the 1D to pros.

I understand it seems unwise to buy an A700 when a replacement is coming, but in my opinion I don't see much besides the weathersealing that the K7 has over the A700 that I would care about. 2 more MP won't help, and I wouldn't use the video or live view much. I think the noise characteristics are similar.

I would however strongly consider Olympus. They have a bit of an oddball system, but it has some real benefits. They have really met the promise of crop sensors in a way Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony have not. They offer smaller bodies, smaller lenses, and f/2 zooms. I think the creative modes may seem gimmicky, but I could see myself using them. The more time I spend at the computer, the less time I have to spend shooting.

I had a conversation with a co-worker this morning about brand loyalty. Our development team here uses Red Hat Linux, but our sister team in Cambridge uses a lot of Debian and Ubuntu. He and I were talking about it being like the Ford vs. Chevy and Canon vs. Nikon stuff. An OS, a car, and a camera are tools. If you get a 300HP Mustang and a 300HP Camaro side by side, pick the one that fits your butt the best. Pick a Linux distro that gets out of your way and lets you get work done.

With cameras I think it is worthwhile to have an internal discussion over lenses, so find the brand that offers the lenses you need, and a control layout that fits in your workflow, and doesn't get in your way.
    Good point.

It's interesting that you point out Olympus, you're the second person in about a week or so to recommend them. They do have a high quality setup with as you pointed out f/2 lenses that are small and match their compact bodies. They also have built-in stabilization. I have no idea how effective built-in stabilization is across different cameras though. But I really just can't see how viable Oly, Pentax, Panasonic will be in the future. They're a very small niche even all together. Sony is still quite new and has grown a lot and appears to still be growing, but they may or may not be headed down that road if they don't make something happen this year.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Good point.

It's interesting that you point out Olympus, you're the second person in about a week or so to recommend them. They do have a high quality setup with as you pointed out f/2 lenses that are small and match their compact bodies. They also have built-in stabilization. I have no idea how effective built-in stabilization is across different cameras though. But I really just can't see how viable Oly, Pentax, Panasonic will be in the future. They're a very small niche even all together. Sony is still quite new and has grown a lot and appears to still be growing, but they may or may not be headed down that road if they don't make something happen this year.
    I doubt 4/3 is going away. I think Olympus alone has a decent following, not to mention how excited people are about the new Panasonic. And with Leica on board as well.... it's a strong setup.

The K7 on the other hand, might be the last dying gasp of Pentax. I don't socialize with other photographers locally like I should, but in seeing what people carry at public places, or when they go shopping at a camera shop, I see a lot of Canon and Nikon (probably more Nikon now), a little Sony, a tiny amount of Olympus, and I don't think I have ever seen a Pentax in real life, except on the shelf at Wolf Camera. Additionally Pentax doesn't have a great P&S lineup, like Olympus and Panasonic do. And I think Leica sells a non-DSLR once in a while.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

The main photographer at my sons wedding was using a Fuji camera. I am going to look at them now.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    The main photographer at my sons wedding was using a Fuji camera. I am going to look at them now.

Frank
    Fuji cameras are Nikon bodies with Fuji electronics. I think I have heard that they make a specialized IR version, and that Fuji colors seem more vibrant. However color is often a matter of camera settings. I don't know much else about the differences.

At any rate, Fuji is just some slightly different body possibilities for the Nikon system.

I'll add to my previous comments about picking the camera based on lenses. Before I ever bought my first Canon I wrote "EF 85mm f/1.8" on my whiteboard at my desk. I didn't buy a 40D and a few lenses to go with it, I bought an 85/1.8 and a camera that fit it. The 70-200 f/4 IS is next on that list, probably followed by a 17-55IS. I'm not saying you should go Canon, but it is a way to think about buying. If I went back to Sony it would be for the Tamron 17-50 + beercan or for the CZ 24-70, or the CZ primes, all with IS.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Well ... here is the Fuji FinePix S5 Pro ... read on, future Nikon lens owner.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Decisions Decisions Decisions I don't know what I want to do yet. I was thinking of just getting a new lens and then wait and see if Sony comes through. I need a wide angle to replace my kit lens but want a macro. If I buy a lens now I will stay with Sony. The lens choices are Tamron 17-50, 28-70 or the 90 macro. What should I get??
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well ... here is the Fuji FinePix S5 Pro ... read on, future Nikon lens owner.
    LMAO.

But Don, don't you feel like that CZ 135 (with IS) is what "makes" the system for you.

I think you came to Sony because you were impressed with the price/performance ratio of Tamron but wanted IS, but that 135 is what got you hook, line, and sinker.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Decisions Decisions Decisions I don't know what I want to do yet. I was thinking of just getting a new lens and then wait and see if Sony comes through. I need a wide angle to replace my kit lens but want a macro. If I buy a lens now I will stay with Sony. The lens choices are Tamron 17-50, 28-70 or the 90 macro. What should I get??
    Frank
    Get the 17-50.

Get the 17-50.

Get the 17-50.

Three votes to start it off, more are coming. It isn't "special" but it works.

dr4gon's experience leads me to say skip the Tamron 90, go straight for the Sony 100. But I think you need that Tamron first. Get a good general purpose kit then add some of the other stuff like macro.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr