Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    LMAO.

But Don, don't you feel like that CZ 135 (with IS) is what "makes" the system for you.

I think you came to Sony because you were impressed with the price/performance ratio of Tamron but wanted IS, but that 135 is what got you hook, line, and sinker.
    Jason ... you aren't even close. But, what the heck ... your version of "history" make be the more palatable. LOL
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sorry, I poorly worded that post, it was meant to be a question. I certainly don't mean to put words in your mouth.

I spent a lot of time debating systems. I was happy with Sony for a while. I was able to re-spend money by selling off my gear and buying again. I wonder if I could have done the same thing and stayed with Sony and been happy. An A700 + 17-50 + my beercan would have been a nice setup, very similar to what I shoot now, and I probably could have bought the Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 to go with it.

But since the first few shots out of my 85, I haven't really questioned anymore. The 85 isn't an option in another mount without spending 3x as much. I like portraits. I would like a UWA and a macro, and I might be happy to replace the 17-50 with a wide prime, but I don't spend time trying to find better lenses. I don't even have much desire to go FF. The way you talk about that 135, I thought you perhaps had a similar experience. Like you have said before, you can't really get something like that 135 on any other mount. Not that cheap, fast, and with IS.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Post The rest of the story ... chronologically

Okay ... since you put that way ... you are still wrong. Sorry.

I mean, you have a real well-contrived point, but it simply was not my reasoning for transition to SONY from Canon.

The fact is that Canon does NOT have internal IS (in-the-body). That's the killer, for me.

After SONY stepped forward with theirs, in 2006, in the body of the α100 ... which I bought just after its release. Suddenly, all my older Minolta glass had stability ... (PRIMES, Zooms, MACROs). I kept my Canon and SONY/Minolta systems running, for a solid year, side by side ... and, believe me, that is really an expensive proposition, as they are, for the most part, mutually exclusive to almost everything, except filters. A decision simply had to be made -> one or the other, not BOTH.

At the time, Canon had a huge chance to "re-think" their design for the then upcoming EOS 40D. They didn't. Image Stability still had to be provided by the myriad of rather expensive lenses that had IS in them (almost entirely zoom). Each one, at least $600 or a lot more! For me and others, THAT, was the final straw. The week that SONY announced the α700 ... I pre-brought the camera and. inversely, like you, SOLD EVERYTHING Canon that I could and geared up for the new SONY. I have no regrets other than that shameful 18-70 "kit" lens. Much like the 'original' Canon 18-55 "kit", perhaps one of the worst lenses ever produced. If someone actually has one that performs well, it was probably more of an 'accident' than by design.

Now, one of the added attractions was the CZ 135mm f/1.8 lens, but that came a full ten months after I had the α700. Out of the gate, as a serious SONY DSLR user, now ... I immediately bought a SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD and a AF 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM (that's another story ) and the TAMRON 90 f/2.8 and 180mm f/3.5 1:1 MACROs. Basically a "killer outfit" for starting. A few months later, the SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6, the CZ 135mm f/1.8 to gap fill the PRIMEs and then in the summer, the SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD and the SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD Super-Telephoto for the air-shows.

Eventually my "70-200mm f/2.8" Advanced telephoto needs were completed with the purchase of the very reasonably priced TAMRON SP AF 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD MACRO. While not a "rocket-focus" lens, its Image Quality easily rivals anything in its class ... and that's alright with me.

I have five lenses that I have "effectively" retired, in preference to the new versions. Mostly because of long M.F.D. concerns and "soft focus" when used on digital sensors. They are all in great shape, just outlived their day, I suppose. I mean, if I had to use them, I could ... but let's leave it at that. I feel safe in saying I know what I am doing, these days.

SONY/TAMRON ... definitely meant for one another.

Anyway, Jason, boring as it may be ... that's the "rest of the story."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-21-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Decisions Decisions Decisions I don't know what I want to do yet. I was thinking of just getting a new lens and then wait and see if Sony comes through. I need a wide angle to replace my kit lens but want a macro. If I buy a lens now I will stay with Sony. The lens choices are Tamron 17-50, 28-70 or the 90 macro. What should I get??
    Frank
    Here let me help. For your budget consider the

17-50mm F/2.8 or the 60mm F/2.0 macro (obviously, not out yet)

I would probably take the 17-50mm first (I say probably, but I that's the route I took). Cover the majority of my shooting and replace the kit lens. It can also focus pretty close.

I threw in the 60mm because it looks quite interesting. AF probably won't be very fast, but if you get used to MF, good for you! I'm still not a big fan of MF, my VF isn't that big and bright anyway. It's also F/2.0

By getting these two lenses, it opens the opportunity for a 100mm or 90mm macro later with lesser overlap because sometimes you just need two macros depending on the situation (or you could sell off the 60mm if necessary).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool New ... in view

SONY has somewhat updated the SONY Style page with the new cameras and gear ... the α200 is gone!

Here is a link for the 50mm f/1.8 DT PRIME

and here's the new "little" flash. They did not mention anything about HSS in it ... so that may be something to consider before you buy one. I suspect 1/160 sec flash sync is all you may get. Admittedly, details about it are rather sketchy.

I cannot find the new DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (I suspect they are packing all they can make with the new camera bodies {α230, α330 & α380} for "kits") or the DT 30mm f/2.8 MACRO, but the DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 is there.

SO .... SONY DSLR Jr. is out there.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The 30 isn't quite ready for market yet. They have listed prices for all of the other items, but not for the 30 yet.

I wish they would have done a non-macro 1.8. 30mm macro seems kinda wonky. But I am glad they are releasing some entry-ish primes.

Now I'm ready for Canon's EF-S 30mm.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

there will be a replacement for the a700 but whether or not it will be a huge improvement, we will have to wait and see!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    hmm.......maybe it's just me but these Sony's latest crops look like point and shoot?
    A350 (2008)

A330 (2009)

I think I prefer the old look. Anyone else with me?
    Not only do I prefer the older look, but the grip fits the hand nicely. These new bodies look like the fixed lens DSLR want-to-bes.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Yeah ... that "lens-release" button is a dead give-away, though

Just imagine a TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD mounted on it ... then you'll know. That'll be a two-handed operation, to be sure.

flickr & Sdi

what about a 300mm 2.8 white body on that funny brown body! whats up with that?
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/