Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    ... hobbit sized bodies.
    LOL, good one!!! I don't know how others feel, but I love the grip size and weight of the a900 which I found to be similar to the a350 and a700. And, I do not have large hands by any measure.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    What's more important, refinement of solid models (like BMW, Mercedes and Audi does with new models every 5-7 years) or refabrication every couple of years (like Ford, GM, Chrysler)? I know, I know cameras and electronics cycle on a faster time frame.

But let's face it, at least here in the US, Sony is in catch up mode vying to capture market share over Canon and Nikon. I am continuously asked if I'm shooting with a Canon or Nikon and when I point out my camera is a Sony, I get comments of "gee I didn't know Sony made DSLRs."

My hope is that if Sony can move its current point and shoot users into the DSLR market, then hopefully the related increase in demand will cause Sony to improve its lens line up. That's where I see Sony truly lacking in the battle for market share over Canon and Nikon.
    That's great but they don't need 3 entry-level cameras that are all essentially the same. Cars are one thing, but cameras have so much ground that can and should be covered. There are plenty of improvements that can be made.

As Elisha pointed out, hopefully the A700's successor will have something or a mid level camera (which I see as the A700 anyway).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yes, focused on consumer, but two points, one good, and one bad. Bad is that they didn't add video, which doesn't make any sense. In fact, these are the same cameras with a different look, and some features to make it easier for new DSLR users. This may be a good idea but I dunno. But I'm shocked that they really didn't add ANYTHING new. Same sensors, same image processings, same features sets, etc.

Good point is the new 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. I seriously doubt they will be worse than the old 18-70, so it can only be good. Currently Canon offers a pretty killer starter kit with a Rebel + 18-55IS + 55-250IS. That setup (and I know Nikon's 18-55VR is very good too) allows someone to spend a pretty small amount of money and do anything they would need in good light. Assuming these lenses are as good as the Canon or Nikon, it should be a really nice kit.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

I am certain they will get there share of reviews, even here! Jeff does a very thorough job.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am certain they will get there share of reviews, even here! Jeff does a very thorough job.
    Hope he has one on hand, brought it on vacation, and posts something tomorrow.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Personally, I find it rather amusing that the ones whining about "no video" inside are the Canoikers, not SONY DSLR owners.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Personally, I find it rather amusing that the ones whining about "no video" inside are the Canoikers, not SONY DSLR owners.
    That's an interesting observation. My Fuji fixed lens has the video feature and I probably used it 1 time per year. Call me a "purest," but if I wanted a video camera, I would buy one that's designed to do exactly that. I wanted a DSLR to take "photographs" so that's what I bought. And, I must add that I looked very closely at the Canon EOS-5D Mark II which has HD video capability ... but alas, I was more impressed with in-body stabilzation, the faster low-light focusing, and more fps (even though I don't often shoot action), than video capability.

That said, I agree with the comments that Sony should really have included some truly new features with these "new" models.

I just hope the new models have good owners manuals, because the a900's leaves a lot to be desired. That's the only gripe I've had with the a900 ... that and my desire to see a more extensive lens line up. Which, hey all things considered, ain't bad!!!
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

here's just ONE thread where you whined about canon's upgrade path.
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...hlight=upgrade

the very first post in this poll.

The poll is to determine whether or not Canon has gone FAR ENOUGH in the design of this mid-grade upgrade to even bother putting it on the store shelf.
    so it was a heinous crime for canon to not offer any significant improvement, yet its ok for Sony to offer even less of an improvement ? this sort of one eyed logic does nothing for your credibility Don.

i guess option 1 of your poll in that thread applies perfectly to you..

"Yes ... anything new that SONY offers goes in my bag."
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Obviously, 'Rooz' ... you are projecting ... which is your way, I suppose and you are entitled to it.

I have been rather consistent in my personalizations and am not asking for your agreement or otherwise. I still own my A700 (SONY's Gen I Prosumer DSLR) and have not felt the need to "upgrade" from it, unlike the 3 Prosumer upgrades that have followed the Canon EOS 20D, from roughly the same period.

I am not complaining about much of anything, short of a better noise-resolution algorithm for the sensor. So, beat up on SONY as you want ... they still stuck it up the big two's rear-gear with one humdinger of a DSLR and its big, relatively lost-cost, anti-shake brother (A900). It was worth the time ... go Minolta! Oops, SONY!

I can only imagine SONY's reintroduction of their A200-300 series was to correct and provide some capability that was overlooked in the previous edition. Instead of the infamous Mark II or III chosen by some companies ... they rolled the models up a notch. I am pretty sure the P&S converts will appreciate the improvements, overall, despite not be able to image and produce a mini-movie inside private locations.

and finally, no, I am not anticipating the purchase of any of these "new" camera bodies. I have already learned my photography lessons for the decade.

Anyway, from the WHAT IT'S WORTH Department ... the New α380 shooting through some newly released glass (<- click on this link) versus the older 18-70 "PUG"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-17-2009 at 07:23 PM.

flickr & Sdi

The "whining" is because I want to see Sony succeed. They obviously are gunning for the consumers more than "photographers." I think they need video to compete for the moving-from-point-and-shoot users.

But, to informed moving-from-point-and-shoot users, the LV should really matter.

And the 50 and 30, ever so slightly, appeal to a low-level prosumer, which is nice, but it just isn't enough.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr