Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Show Advice

planes move fast..trust me you will want that lead time

HAHA. It turned out to be a very cloudy day. Made for an interesting day. For the first time, I saw an upside down helicopter.

But when the Thunderbirds came out so did the sun. I shot 1500+ pics using various styles ranging from A priority, S priority, and Manual mode with a wide aperture and speed at about 1600 - 2000. The camera chose an ISO of about 100 - 200 but those pics came out dark. So I bumped it up to 400 and then when the sun came out I turned it back down to 200.

I'll post again later... I had to walk 2 miles from where I parked the car; I'm too tired!

As soon as I filter out the junk, I will post a few comparisons.

I shot 1500+ pics

THATS A MOVIE...LOL

OK, here are a few... This one was Set at S priority 1600:

Main Information
    ImageDescription : SONY DSC
    Make : SONY
    Model : DSLR-A300
    Orientation : left-hand side
    XResolution : 72/1
    YResolution : 72/1
    ResolutionUnit : Inch
    Software : DSLR-A300 v1.00
    DateTime : 2008:01:25 19:12:57
    YCbCrPositioning : co-sited
    ExifInfoOffset : 390
    PrintIM IFD : 124Bytes
    Sub Information
    ExposureTime : 1/1600Sec
    FNumber : F6.3
    ExposureProgram : Shutter Priority
    ISOSpeedRatings : 250
    BrightnessValue : EV9.5
    ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
    MaxApertureValue : F5.6
    MeteringMode : Spot
    FocalLength : 300.00(mm)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Similar but with A priority:

Main Information
    ImageDescription : SONY DSC
    Make : SONY
    Model : DSLR-A300
    Orientation : left-hand side
    XResolution : 72/1
    YResolution : 72/1
    ResolutionUnit : Inch
    Software : DSLR-A300 v1.00
    DateTime : 2008:01:25 19:18:52
    YCbCrPositioning : co-sited
    ExifInfoOffset : 390
    PrintIM IFD : 124Bytes
    ExposureTime : 1/640Sec
    FNumber : F9.0
    ExposureProgram : Aperture Priority
    ISOSpeedRatings : 100
    ExifVersion : 0221
    CompressedBitsPerPixel : 8/1 (bit/pixel)
    BrightnessValue : EV10.8
    ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
    MaxApertureValue : F5.6
    MeteringMode : Spot
    LightSource : Unidentified
    Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)
    FocalLength : 300.00(mm)

And a few extra ones... Not too much of a difference between A pri and S, but perhaps the devil is in the details.

Don't want to bog down the server with attachments;that's what facebook is for! LOL!

If anyone wants the other EXIF info, let me know, I am in a rush right now but can grab it later today.

Back in the 70s me and my freind were sitting on my porch just looking around the sky...we saw 2 light planes collide over griffith park california..back then there was no 911..and no one believed us....till days later when they found them

Smile Aero improvements

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Back in the 70s me and my freind were sitting on my porch just looking around the sky...we saw 2 light planes collide over
    griffith park california ... back then there was no 911 ... and no one believed us ... till days later when they found them

Should have taken pictures, eh? Seeing is believing.

Just ask those guys at Roswell, NM. I heard they had a crash out there, too.

'iamgeniusrnti' - that first image was a darn good shot. It seemed well timed and as if you had panned on the plane as it passed.

I did a little "post processing" on it to sharpen it up a tad ... let me know what you think and, if you want, I will go into what I did.
    One thing I did was balance the white balance in the "ORACLE" on the wing. That roughly 'corrects' all the other colors present.

Name:  ORACLE-Pitt-w-WB-Adjust.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  288.7 KB

Personally, I think those fly-boys need to sit in the grand stands and appreciate what YOU are seeing. They could have gone
    into a nice 10-degree wing-dipped fly-by and provided a much better photographic angle than you just looking at their bellies.
    Siliar to what I posted in POST #5 of this thread. Good gosh almighty! "Show Pilots", indeed! Pfft!

Name:  genious-f18.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  334.8 KB

The T-birds shot was also pretty good, but muted. I spiced it up a bit, with WB, again, and did some selective cloning out
    of the lower right corner clouds to balance the shot. I also cropped the image so that the nose needle of the rightmost F-16
    was pointed to the upper-right corner of the frame.

Name:  t-birds.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  311.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-17-2009 at 07:09 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

WOW! Nice job!!!! I have some of experience with graphics programs for gaming so I have a fairly good idea what you did. But my experience lies in cartooning and not photography. As a newcomer I can only theorize that we don't want to over edit, but preserve the original picture. I imagine there is a balance in there.

It seems to me you achieved this balance quite nicely.

Smile Making magic with your images ...

Quote Originally Posted by iamgeniusrnti View Post
    WOW! Nice job!!!! I have some of experience with graphics programs for gaming so I have a fairly good idea what you did. But my experience lies
    in cartooning and not photography. As a newcomer I can only theorize that we don't want to over edit, but preserve the original picture. I imagine
    there is a balance in there.

It seems to me you achieved this balance quite nicely.
    Pixel manipulation is key in digital photography, because many of the cameras have algorithms that simply adjust the image a little too much this
    way or that ... and you have to pull them back into line. With Adobe Photoshop CS or Photoshop Lightroom 2, you get the keys to having
    your computer unlock and "redevelop" your shots, turning just an image into a well-exposed and controlled example of your artwork.

I would recommend you get yourself a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements (low-cost entry in post processing) and begin to toy with your
    images a bit. There are online teaching sites to help you get started and purchasing a book on the subject should not be overlooked.

Welcome to the World of Improved Photography.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-19-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi