Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What proposed lens sees the light of day, in your inventory?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • SONY AF 28-75mm f/2.8

1 12.50%
  • SONY 30mm f/2.8 MACRO

0 0%
  • SONY DT 50mm f/1.8

2 25.00%
  • SONY DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

1 12.50%
  • SONY DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6

0 0%
  • SONY Super Telephoto (500mm f/4?)

1 12.50%
  • None of the above. How about a serious lens? (see details in post)

3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The PMA lenses

Hybrid View

The PMA lenses

At PMA, this year, SONY presented SIX "idea" lenses, that had internal motors and if you really had a choice ... which ones would you purchase for your bag?

Name:  new-lens-2875f28-&-30f28-macro.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  316.7 KB

Name:  new-lenses-DT50f18-DT1855f3556-DT55200f456.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  296.3 KB

Name:  Super Tele.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  84.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I can't see myself using any of these. Got it all covered really.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I selected none of the above, which is pretty sad since I'm in the process of building a lens collection.

If I had plenty of money, lol, about the only one that would be potentially appealing is the 500 mm. But, given the likely price, I think I would get more bang for my buck and be better served by buying the Tamron SP 200-500 mm f/5-6.3 AF.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Wink Let someone else "DIG DEEP", eh?

Yeah, how about it? I have always been fonder of the TAMRON return on quality than dumping thousands into heavy-duty glass for a "not for profit" venture like mine. I just cannot qualify it without having one heck of a budget for such things. I'd rather put the money towards the trip itself.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah, how about it? I have always been fonder of the TAMRON return on quality than dumping thousands into heavy-duty glass for a "not for profit" venture like mine. I just cannot qualify it without having one heck of a budget for such things. I'd rather put the money towards the trip itself.
    Or, as I like to think of it ... am I better off dumping $$$ on one of the Sony lenses or using about the same amount of $$$ to get two Tamrons that still produce good quality photos ... kind of a no brainer. Now if I were in it for profit and needed absolutely top quality stellar pictures, then I could justify the expense for the CZ lenses. But last time I checked, I got no return $$$ on my photos, just the shear pleasure of the adventure itself, the results and some ribbons from art shows. Oh, yeh and some great screen saver pictures.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Gear List

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    You've already budgeted for such things, you've just spent it on several copies of similar lenses over and over trying to find a decent performer. One look at your gear list and anyone can see that you could cover all of the focal lengths you currently have while still cutting your gear list by approximately 2/3. You could have easily purchased that high priced glass you shun if you'd have purchased fewer of these bargain lenses that overlap all over your focal lengths.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I clicked 50mm, but I should have selected "lets see some real lenses." I was really disappointed by that lineup, and it honestly had a bit to do with leaving Sony. Except for the 28-75 that already exists as a Tamron, it didn't seem like they were doing anything other than lo end consumer, with the one (presumably) super expensive zoom.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

A fan of Tamron I am, but IF they could put out a 500mm constant f/4 with a high speed motor..hmmmmmmmm, only the price would stand in my way!!! may just have to settle for the bright light and the tamron 200 - 500!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Question Who is your audience?

Jim, I'm not out to spend money like a mad man. My production level simply does not warrant it. If I had a customer pouring over my work, that would be different, but they are not and I'm not shooting museum quality prints. So ... why dump the cash?

I've spent a few bucks ... and most of the lenses are exceptionally lightweight, compared to the hefty "pro" glass that the upper end SONY glass is. It easily weighs twice as much and I have been on a crusade to lighten my load. Lugging pounds and pounds of glass to an air show simply is not my kind of fun.

We could compare them, side by side, but why? You have already made your case you would prefer the heavy stuff ... and I say "have at it." More money, more weight ... why wait? Oh yeah, no money! Works for me.

I often ask myself:
    "Do I have the skills necessary to make marketable work?

Could I produce a line of folks who clamor for want of seeing and being a part of my work?"

Name:  line of people.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  515.5 KB

The answer is, of course, "Who knows?"

It's the consumer that makes that decision. As you are aware, this has not been for profit and I feel quite comfortable with the array of lenses I've chosen to keep.

Thanks for caring. And yes, the fund is open for contributions to the cause. May the pile grow and grow ... Name:  money pile DCRP.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  29.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-18-2009 at 12:41 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Duck Duck Dive Dive. You have refined it to an art. You sail right on by my point.

My point is: you have spent money like a madman. Three, count 'em, three Tamron super zooms all covering basically the same focal length, you could have purchased one good lens for all of that money. 70-200, 70-210, 70-300, 80-400, holy cow over over lap lap, again you could easily eliminate 3 of these 4 lenses. You have spent the money, it's just in your blind Tamron Kool-aid drinking, you purchase over and over trying to find something decent.

Tamron 17-50, 28-75, 70-200, 200-500, that's all you need, you're covered. Yet you've purchased lenses all around these and in between these, and you're proud of it. I have no right whatsoever to tell you how to spend your money, but when you insinuate that purchasing the good glass is too expensive, you have to take a look at your gear list and wonder why all those overlapping mediocre lenses isn't an example of expensive.

I have 4 pro level lenses that offer my body maximum performance that cover the same range you have. I tried a couple of Tammys and they immediately went on eBay, they just didn't measure up, not even close. That was all the proof I needed to never purchase another Tamron lens. I understand that Tamron does make some optical gems, they aren't cheap though(less than some OEM counterparts)and the AF makes them less of a bargain.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.