Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to Banff

Quote Originally Posted by FLiPMaRC View Post
    I just Googled it. Looks like an awesome place! Have a great time Nick!
    Yeah, it looks pretty cool. I picked it because of it's history. There was a Hotel built there in 1887. Banff is the oldest national park and Banff Springs is one of the oldest resorts in Canada. There is a link to the web site in my first post but here is again for anyone who's interested. http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings/
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Dayum, Nick. Those are some sweet digs!

Enjoy yourself! Keep in mind though that on the photography side of things, less is more when traveling to see. You'll find yourself enjoying the trip if you simplify your kit and hating the trip if you try to prepare for every photo op that crosses your path. Not only will you be weighed down by all that stuff, you'll miss a lot anyway because you'll spend more time thinking about which lens and/or camera to use than actually shooting and smiling with the wife.

There's no shame in buying a keepsake postcard.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 05-13-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Where do you all stand on the HDR VS ND grad filters? I almost think it's easier to just take a few different exposures and blend them if needed instead of fiddling with filters.
    I'm an ND grad guy. Occasionally I will blend instead if the situation calls for it, but I don't like to do that. I don't do much HDR. Can't seem to get it right.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Yeah, it looks pretty cool. I picked it because of it's history. There was a Hotel built there in 1887. Banff is the oldest national park and Banff Springs is one of the oldest resorts in Canada. There is a link to the web site in my first post but here is again for anyone who's interested. http://www.fairmont.com/banffsprings/
    Wow! That's the hotel you're staying at?!?!? Dayum!!

I just re-read your first post ... LOL! "Little Shack"

I'm super jealous Nick; I've always wanted to go to Banff. Its definitely on my short list.

Have you considered just getting a CP filter for your 18-55? - stopped down that will be plenty good for landscapes. I only use my CP filters with my 17-40 and my 24-105; I never use it on my 70-200 or my primes.

ND grad vs bleds/HDR - I use both, sometimes on the same shot. I really like ND grads though. When done right I can get better results with ND grads than in PP. The ND grad tool in LR2 is really nice in PP though.

Definitely try some panos. Do you have a lightweight tripod to bring?

Can't wait to see the pics - have a great time!!
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Dayum, Nick. Those are some sweet digs!

Enjoy yourself! Keep in mind though that on the photography side of things, less is more when traveling to see. You'll find yourself enjoying the trip if you simplify your kit and hating the trip if you try to prepare for every photo op that crosses your path. Not only will you be weighed down by all that stuff, you'll miss a lot more anyway because you're constantly figuring out which lens and/or camera to use. There's no shame in buying a keepsake postcard.
    I hear ya brother. Nothing kills a romantic sunset like a camera on a tripod! It's tough though. I really would like to get some decent shots.

The postcard comment reminded me of a thing I read on their website.

Surprise Corner: Take a picture of the Historic Fairmont Banff Springs from where the professionals take them.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Hmm, so maybe I'll do a little experimenting with the ND grad. I do have one but I have a feeling I might need another one to double up. How do you use a ND grad when shooting a mountain anyway?!? I guess I'll have to angle it. I might invest in a holder for my square filters. How many ND filters do you landscape guys have?

I do still want a CP for my 35mm and the 200mm 2.8. I really like using the CP for motorsport stuff (thanks CW) and my 35mm is my go to lens and I like using it for landscapes even though it's a prime and it's not very wide.

I know my first instinct is going to be to shoot as wide as possible but I'm going to explore using my 85mm and my 200mm for landscapes I always loved the look of a nice compressed landscape photo. It's all so up in the air though. I have no idea what to expect, it's exciting.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Oh and I do have a decent tripod. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

It's not overly light or compact but it's a nice compromise between strength, weight and versatility. I'm glad I got a pan/tilt head instead of a ball head too, makes panos easier.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

I'm gonna come down on the opposite side here and say "Use HDR". If you are using a tripod anyway, a 3shot burst can give you much more flexiblity in creating the final image.... Not all HDRs need to look like the overly coloured messes that people post on all the flickr groups!
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

I also recommend the ND filters along with the polarizing filter. Lake Louis is a good place to visit while you are there. I also recommend the ice fields and especially suggest that you travel north of Banff into Jasper National Park if your schedule permits at all.

I am not all that familiar with the area, having only gone through one time. You can go wrong by just taking your time driving and being willing to stop and investigate things that look interesting - there will be plenty!

I am anxious to visit again.
    Respectfully,

Mike Sneddon
    Mattoon, IL USA

Canon SD1000, S3, 20D & 5D; Panasonic LX2. Canon lenses: 50mm f1.4, 16-35mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 IS Also have two film cameras: Canon Elan 7E and a Yashica TL Super (which I purchased in Vietnam in 1969 for $106).