Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brainstorming some ideas

So I've got a few more product things to do. Just little fuel quick connector things (few inches long). I did a dozen or so of them earlier and I hung them in front of a white background by a piece of string. The problem with that is it was a pain in the ass trying to get the damn part to stop spinning and moving around so I want to find a way to secure the part more efficiently.

I was thinking wire hanger and modeling clay or drilling small holes in the part to slip the hanger through in the back out of sight.

Anyone have any ideas or links to sites that talk about this kinda thing? I'm trying to reduce the amount of PP I need to do and would rather rig up something then spend an hour in PS to remove and clone stuff out.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

do you have any example pics of the subject?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Normally things are put on wires. I'd simply hot-glue them to some wire then arrange the angles so the wire doesn't show. Then it's just a case of lighting the subject and not the background.

For more ideas you could consult Light, Science & Magic.

Here is an example.

That's longest one I've done, about 6 inches long. Most of them are angled and are part plastic part steel tube. I'll post some more samples latter that's just all I have online.

I like the hot glue idea. See I knew there would be some really simple solutions. Keep em coming! remember there are no stupid ideas..... well yes there are, but I promise not to tell you that to your face.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Any particular reason why you need to hang the items? So there aren't any shadows?

just speaking out of my ass here, but why don't you use a mirror and capture the image on the mirror instead!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by FLiPMaRC View Post
    Any particular reason why you need to hang the items? So there aren't any shadows?
    Yeah, I'm trying to eliminate shadows and also make it easy for the image to be cut out from the background. I've been thinking of buying a chroma key background instead of the white background. I wonder if it would work to just lay the part on the background? I'll have to try it.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Hot glue's a good idea. Also, there's this stuff:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...i_sku=21369779

But laying it on a seemless white background will allow for some shadows, which will give the object more depth. Or, you can set it on a white glazed tile for some subtle reflections.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by Nickcanada View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to eliminate shadows and also make it easy for the image to be cut out from the background. I've been thinking of buying a chroma key background instead of the white background. I wonder if it would work to just lay the part on the background? I'll have to try it.
    I really wouldn't worry about the background if these are to have a clipping path and be placed in a brochure or similar. Any half decent graphic designer would do the clipping path by hand and not use the magic wand to cut them out if thats what you were thinking? Any product shots I have received to work with are usually on a very rough background. It's more important to get the product as clean as possible, doesn't even matter if there's cardboard, clips, sticky tape etc in frame.

Setup idea.
    Ever tried using a piece of A4/Letter size paper as a soft box? Works well for stuff like this. You can even get fancy with it and cut out one side of a box and tape the paper in. Sit the products on this with a flash triggered from underneath, another flash from above L/R either thru another paper softbox or an umbrella and you've got a good setup! That's how I'd attempt it.
    5D+grip | 1D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 MK1 | 430EX | Sunpak 383 | Lee Filters

Hey Nick, have you seen this thread on POTN about DIY light box for product shots? It's over 200 pages of different ideas you may want to try