Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

San Diego Redbull air race with tamron 70-200, Lots of pictures

Hey guys, told you I would post some pic with my new lens. This was in San Diego. Its the RedBull air race.

Last edited by KenRC51; 05-11-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Last edited by KenRC51; 05-11-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Can you add a blank line between each photo to separate them. Otherwise they sort of look like a big panorama.

I see you waste no time in puttting the lens to use. Nice.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    I see you waste no time in puttting the lens to use. Nice.
    yup, btw I am getting another lens. After using my new tamron 70-200 at the air race I noticed a little silver sand size spec inside the len. So I emailed amazon and they are going to ship me another lens to replace my original one.

I love the lens. Some people says it focus slow but according to me it focus pretty quick. I only had about 5 unfocused picture other of 900 pics I took that day.

I see you had really great time chasing planes, but pictueres are not so good. Maybe only wrong settings on camera because pictures look so washed out. For next time maybe you had white balance on auto and you should change it to cloudy . Try different settings.
    Have you croped the images because tamron 70-200 should give you really good sharpnes but none of that picture gives you that.
    Do you have some still photos, where you didnt chase any moving objects ?

Well about focusin speed. Try to focus a plane witch is moving directly towards you, and youll see why is focus speed slow. You pictured plane moving sideways in a long distance, witch is not such a problem.

Well anyway the most importaint is that you are happy with your pictures. I just gave you advice that you could do better next time with different settings.

Quote Originally Posted by SreckoA4 View Post
    I see you had really great time chasing planes, but pictueres are not so good. Maybe only wrong settings on camera because pictures look so washed out. For next time maybe you had white balance on auto and you should change it to cloudy . Try different settings.
    Have you croped the images because tamron 70-200 should give you really good sharpnes but none of that picture gives you that.
    Do you have some still photos, where you didnt chase any moving objects ?

Well about focusin speed. Try to focus a plane witch is moving directly towards you, and youll see why is focus speed slow. You pictured plane moving sideways in a long distance, witch is not such a problem.

Well anyway the most importaint is that you are happy with your pictures. I just gave you advice that you could do better next time with different settings.
    I did not have white balance on auto. I know most picture is not so clear is because of the smog those plane was putting out. 15 plane raced one after another so those fog or smoke were all over the place.

Most of the picture was taken at ISO 100 - 200 and whate balance on kelvan 5200-5500, some shot was over exposed at +0.3 to 1.0. What type of setting would you have it on. It was a cloudy day with not so much sun light and alot of smoke from planes.
    Last edited by KenRC51; 05-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Ken if you've got photoshop, capture nx or something similar you can adjust the exposure in post processing and make them look 100% better. Either use "curves" or (darn I've forgotten the simpler one) to clip the histogram to just the area containing data. Nice photo's already, with a bit of time they can be really good.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

I agree 100% with DPR. Yesterday while I was on hold on the phone I downloaded one of the first shots (second one I think). After about 30 seconds in Photoshop with some levels adjustments a bit of sharpening and a crop it was completely different.
    If you don't have any other software try View NX you will be amazed what a bit of tinkering with the images will produce.

For example your first shot without so much over exposure.

Are you using matrix metering, I found all my exposure problems went away when I changed to matrix instead of spot metering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate