Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Don't need no stinkin' IS - Da Grip

No, not really. I need IS. Just tried to take a picture of my wife sleeping while holding my daughter without turning on any lights. ISO 800 with a 50mm at 1.8 only got me about 1/10 shutter, which isn't really hand holdable at 75mm equiv. I guess I could have shot at ISO 1600, but it still would have been a bit too slow to hand hold. On my A300 at ISO 800 with IS... well... I still would have needed a tripod. But maybe clean ISO 1600 + IS would have been enough. Since Don and dr4gon have said some stuff lately, I thought it would be interesting to bring this up.

I actually don't own any IS lenses right now. The only one I had for Canon was the 18-55IS. Great IQ, really a nice lens, but I had to let it go with the Rebel so I could afford the Tamron. It wouldn't have been fast enough for this even with IS.

Anywho, the point of this was this cool video from Joe McNally. This certainly helps. I did it some without a battery grip, but part of the reason I bought the (very expensive) battery grip was for this. And the extra size and weight helps hold the camera steady. This won't get you the 2-4 stops that lens or body IS might, but it might get you another stop. Combine this with SSS or lens based IS/VR, and you can do some wonders on still subjects. Still won't do you any good when the baby is awake. Enjoy:

Joe McNally: Da Grip
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

ya know i tried that about a month ago after watching most of his videos on youtube and i have to agree it works better if you are left eyed. it was quite unnatural doing it right-eyed and it strained my neck a little. i will have to try it out again i suppose!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    No, not really. I need IS. Just tried to take a picture of my wife sleeping while holding my daughter without turning on any lights. ISO 800 with a 50mm at 1.8 only got me about 1/10 shutter, which isn't really hand holdable at 75mm equiv. I guess I could have shot at ISO 1600, but it still would have been a bit too slow to hand hold. On my A300 at ISO 800 with IS... well... I still would have needed a tripod. But maybe clean ISO 1600 + IS would have been enough. Since Don and dr4gon have said some stuff lately, I thought it would be interesting to bring this up.

I actually don't own any IS lenses right now. The only one I had for Canon was the 18-55IS. Great IQ, really a nice lens, but I had to let it go with the Rebel so I could afford the Tamron. It wouldn't have been fast enough for this even with IS.

Anywho, the point of this was this cool video from Joe McNally. This certainly helps. I did it some without a battery grip, but part of the reason I bought the (very expensive) battery grip was for this. And the extra size and weight helps hold the camera steady. This won't get you the 2-4 stops that lens or body IS might, but it might get you another stop. Combine this with SSS or lens based IS/VR, and you can do some wonders on still subjects. Still won't do you any good when the baby is awake. Enjoy:

Joe McNally: Da Grip
    Ah c'mon, you're grouping me with Don on being as adamant?

I have been debating bumping iso versus stabilization and from what I can tell, it's close, but I think with stabilization on the average lens (I tend to use shorter lengths anyway), I would benefit most from in-body stabilization. It seems to be giving me at least 2 stops. If it were 1 stop, bumping the ISO would probably be a no-brainer and not necessitate SSS. Like I said the other day, if Nikon integrated in-body VR, I think I would be in Nikonia (are you listening *cough* D400 *cough* oh yeah I like video too, but I'm pretty sure you already got that one covered).

I don't know that I could do that that well, I use my right eye anyway.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I didn't ever think about which eye I used. It was only after seeing that video that I realized I shoot with my right eye, but its just to get my nose off the screen. I didn't notice any difference in shooting with my left or right.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

i'm a huge mcnally fan but personally i found that grip very uncomfortable.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr