Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which camera is best for me

I am looking to buy a camera and am uncertain of which two to buy.
    Budget--preferably under $250

Size--small enough for a purse, but can be larger than a pocket size

Features--Optical zoom-- at least 6x
    image stabilization extremely important
    image quality 10/10

I do not care for manual controls--I am just a beginner

General usage--I work with babies and toddlers. I want to take pictures of them, but they obviously don't stay still for very long. Lighting conditions will vary. I want clear photos and some short videos also. As this is my only camera, I will also be taking it on vacations.

I will not be making big prints of my photos.
    I will be shooting a lot of indoor photos, some perhaps low light.
    As babies constantly move, they will be action photos, but not from a huge distance.
    I am looking mostly at the new Canon A2100 and Panasonic dcm-tz5. There seems to be pros and cons to both. The canon is new and I haven't seen to many reviews yet on it. It has the updated sensor chip. Online, the photo samples of the Canons seem to be crisper and clearer than the Panasonic, but I am intrigued by the long zoom and high def videos of the Panasonic. I am open if you think a different camera yet would be better. I don't like the proprietary memory stick of the Sony, though.

You may want to look at this review...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

link didn't work

Thanks for your help. I take it from the first reply that you think the panasonic dmc-TZ5 would be the better camera. The link on the second reply to photosnag turned up a blank page.

does anyone have an evaluation of the new Canon A2100?

ccsk-

Jeff Keller right on this website has done a Canon A-2000 camera review. Jeff also reviewed the TZ-5 and gave it a thumbs up. Are you planning on using flash for your indoor photos? I ask that question, as IMO the TZ-5 has a somewhat underpowered built-in flash unit.

Although it is larger in size, than the TZ-5, the Kodak Z01012, which has been reviewed by Steve's Digicams, might be a better choice, in terms of IQ, while still being in the same price range, as it sells for $(US) 199.95. The Z-1012 also has a better built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce

Canon A2100

Thanks Joyce for responding.
    I am looking at the A2100, not the 2000. Some significant changes were made between the two models.
    The flash is a concern, so that might be a determining factor. I don't generally like the Kodaks because there colors seem to be really off at times.

hi....
    Just take a look.....I hope you'll like this:

http://www.testfreaks.com/digitalcam...shot-dsc-t700/
    We Paint It Industrial Painters provide industrial painting services, storage tank painting, roof and floor protective coatings. Industrial Painting Contractors Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia Storage Tank Painters Macon.

sony issues

my problem with Sony is that the use expensive memory sticks instead of the standard, less expensive sd cards. I appreciate your response, anyway. I have never figured out how the test freaks get their final score. If you look at the user and expert ratings, they don't equal or average their final score.

While the memory sticks are more expensive, it's a one time purchase that doesn't detract from using the camera. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a camera that was otherwise the right one.

ccsk-

Of course, it is nothing more than my own personal opinion, but other that uping the megapixel count from 10mp on the Canon A-2000, to 12mp on the new A-2100 is not a significant IQ improvement. It will just add more noise in your low light level shots, where you do not use the camera's built-in flash unit.

By the way, you never did answer the question about how you will be taking your indoor shots. Will you be using the camera's built-in flash unit??

If you are going to use flash for those indoor shots, neither the A-2100, nor the TZ-5 cameras are a good choice due to their low output flash units. The Sony H-10 or H-20 has a much better built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce

Canon upgrade

I am sorry I didn't answer your earlier question, I will be taking indoor shots using the flash unit.
    According to Canon the 2100 has the upgraded sensor the Digic IV rather than the Digic III image sensor. I agree with you that the added Pixels really doesn't matter.
    I will check out the sonys, but the memory stick is rather a put off for me.

Thx for replying.